32-34wkers out there?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
rachel a

Re : 32-34wkers out there?

Postby rachel a » Tue Mar 27, 637342 2:08 am

Mine was exactly a 32-weeker. We fought our way to that 32 week mark. That was our goal.

He was given celestone three days prior to c-section. My little chunk weighed 4lbs 4oz and spent 11 days in the NICU. He lost a little weight and put a little less back on. Once he conquered the challenges...sucking and swallowing and maintaining his own body temp, he was ready for home.

He came home on an apnea monitor and wore it for approximately one month. It went off frequently at firt -SCARY!- but soon it rarely went off.

Now he's six months and sixteen pounds and PERFECT!

Best wishes!

Rachel Adamson
Arkansas Coordinator

Dylan Sameul 10/04/04 @ 32 weeks (due to severe PE)

5miraclez

Postby 5miraclez » Sun Mar 04, 637342 9:38 pm

I had one baby just shy of 32 weeks and one exactly 32 weeks. The one that was 31 weeks 5 days spent 5 weeks in the NICU. My 32 weeker only spent 2 weeks. They were 4lb 7oz and 4lb 9oz so I guess they were both on the heavier side. I think they might have been on a ventilator for a couple of hours but that was it. No other problems. No transfusions or major complications. They both just needed to learn to eat and grow.

DD 4/1/00 35wks severe preeclampsia
DS 7/9/01 29wks severe preeclampsia/HELLP, placental abruption
DD 12/8/02 31wks severe preeclampsia/HELLP, polyhydramnios
DD 6/7/04 32wks severe preeclampsia
#5 due Oct. 4 2005

tahoe4

Postby tahoe4 » Sun Jan 28, 637342 4:35 pm

I had a 34 week 4/7 baby. She was very healthy and only needed to be under the bili lights and she needed to learn how to suck on a bottle. She was in the hospital for 12 days. No other health problems!!

Stephanie

Casey - DD born 12/25/02 at 6 weeks premature due to eclampsia
Bella - DD born 6/4/04 at 38 weeks. No complications from pre-eclampsia at all!

cara

Postby cara » Sun Jan 28, 637342 8:42 am

Grant was big 33 weeker. He was 5 lbs, 6 oz and 19 inches long. We stayed in NICU for a month, out a week, back a week. He had the steroid shot, which helped out a lot. He was never on a ventilator but had 2 rounds of sepsis, NEC, trouble nippling, couldn't keep his temp up, and horrendous jaundice. He was almost orange at one point. So he spent a good amount of time in the isolette. I know that other babies in his predicament have died so I am grateful to have the little guy. I think we had some divine intervention but I won't get into that! Now, he just turned a year old on March 28 and he is 25 lbs. He actually threw my back out a few weeks ago!

Good luck with everything and congrats on the baby!!

Cara L. Stevens
Mother of Grant, born 3/28/04 at 33 weeks
Diagnosed with PIH very early, then with Pre-e

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Sun Jan 28, 637342 2:28 am

April, Parker was born at 33 weeks exactly. He weighed 3lbs 3oz and breathed on his own immediately. I had the steroid shots. He did really well, he was a feeder/grower, ie he had to learn to suck and he needed to grow before being released. He was in the NICU for a month, and went home on an apnea monitor for 2 months. Now he is a 21 month old dynamo! Still petite, but so is his dad[;)]. He has had mild breathing issues, and gets ear infections like crazy, but the ears are not necessarily related to his g/a. Good Luck, I think anything after 32 weeks is good (in my non-medical opinion)!

Anne
DH Richard
DS Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks
Miscarriage(14 wks, D&C) 12/04

april

Postby april » Wed Jan 17, 637342 9:52 pm

Thank yall all sooooo much for all of the responces. It makes me feel alittle bit better knowing that all of yalls babies did well being born early.

april(24)
dh-billy(29)
dd-Natalie 3/10/04(pasted away after 1 hr.) induced labor at 23wks and 5 days due to severe PE/HELLP

PREGNANT AGAIN DUE MAY 31, 2005

pigletmsu

Postby pigletmsu » Wed Jan 17, 637342 1:30 pm

Frank was born at 34 weeks 2 days. He was on the vent 3 days, the cpap 3 days and then on his own. I did get the steroid shots so I can only imagine how underdeveloped his lungs would have been had I not. He stayed in the NICU for a week and then a week in the continuing care nursery because he had a weak suck. So, it took a week for him to get to the point that he could take a bottle in 20 minutes for 24 hours of feedings. He was on IV feeding for the first week and then on bottle/gavage feeding (put a tube down his throat and give him the milk that way while he sucks on a pacifier to get the idea). As far as long term issues, he wasn't turned from side to side enough in the NICU so he came home with a flat spot on is head that I failed to notice (my mom pointed it out later) and it got worse and led to torticollis (one neck muscle is tighter than the other and causes a head tilt) and a rather noticable flat spot. We did 6 mns of physical therapy for the torticollis (from twice a week to once a week to twice a month to all done), and we did a year of cranial manipulation to help the flat spot go away and his head plates to realign (one side of his forehead was pushed forward and his ears were out of alignment). The CM was every other week for 3 months and then just once a month for the last 9 mns.

Another thing that apparently is common is Frank ended up with a texture aversion issue where he would puke up anything that wasn't completely blended. So we worked with an OT for that, only took 2 months of weekly appointments.

We do work with our No Child Left Behind program and a Child Development lady comes to our house every month to evaluate Frank's progress and to check for any developmental delays. So far no major delays. Minor things every now and again, but nothing to worry about.

All in all, I wouldn't worry too much about it, your baby will most likely require a little extra help, but won't have any major problems.

Lisa

DS 10/03 @ 34 weeks due to severe PE
#2 due 7/05

tafkap

Postby tafkap » Wed Jan 17, 637342 12:19 pm

April, copying this from another post I wrote... : )

My daughter was born at 34 weeks. She had a little trouble breathing upon birth but she was able to rest on my chest for a few seconds before being carried to the NICU (by my husband). She had a CPAP for 24 hours, mostly as a precaution. It was most likely the mag sulfate that caused this issue, if you don't have mag than you may not even go this route.

After 48 hours she was transferred to the Graduate NICU. She was under the billi lights for 48 hours, again, mostly a precaution, she had very mild jaundice.

She was on a feeding tube for the majority of her feedings for about a week, and then every other feeding, and then not at all- and thus she came home.

Total time spent: 11 days.

It took her until approx her due date (in fact, it was the day) to latch on- until then we pumped..and pumped. This is pretty much the worst effect we dealt with as "preterm" parents.

The only advice I can offer is that breatfeeding is WORTH it... even though I did have to get pretty intimate with the pump for a while.

Kate has met all of her milestones, and even surpassed expectations.

She's had issues with milk/lactose but an allergy panal revealed that she's not allergic... I attribute her stomach issues with being a preemie. She was a bit colicy, again, I think it's a preemie issue, because she seemed to outgrow it.

We've had no long term health problems- she's in fact never really been sick. She's had one minor ear infection, and other than that has never been on antibiotics or needed any special care. That hasn't stopped me from being an insane "preemie mom"- but hey, my kid has been pretty healthy so I think there is more to it than "luck".

Wishing you ALL the best!!

Jess

Jessica- Colorado Co-Coordinator
DD Katherine Grace-10-13-2003
34weeks,6days,39minutes Preeclampsia at 5,340 feet
www.coreyandjess.info/newsite
Yep, we've got new pictures!

alexp

Postby alexp » Wed Jan 17, 637342 11:55 am

I'm sorry you're starting to have some problems! You've done so good though, and you've really gotten so far. I hope you can go farther, but even if you had to have your baby tomorrow, everything will probably be fine.

Mine were born at exactly 32 weeks. I had been in the hospital for a month with severe pre-e and HELLP, and then my water broke, so everyone decided it was time to quit. Vivian weighed 3 lbs, 11 oz - Lily (who was having some trouble there at the end - starting to fail her NSTs, etc.) was 3 lb, 1 oz.

They both started out on a vent - I had had the steroid shots but over a month before, so I think that's why they needed the vent. After about a day, Vivian went to CPAP and Lily went to a nasal cannula - Vivian was off CPAP and breathing on her own after three days, but Lily was on the oxygen for about a month. They had them both for IV antibiotics for three days after birth, but that was only because my water had broken and they wanted to rule out sepsis. They both had a central line, through their umbilical cord - I had wanted to avoid that, because they would not let us hold them while it was in. After a few days, they just had an IV in their arm.

At the hospital we used, they start them out on IV fluids at first, then TPN in their IVs and then after about three days they started eating through an NG tube (just a little tube that runs through their nose to their bellies). We started "nipple-training" them when they were about two weeks old (breast and bottle, and they caught on to both). They were about three weeks old when they moved into open cribs.

They were basically feeder-growers, they just took their own sweet time doing it! Vivian was in NICU for 4 weeks, Lily for 5. Most 32-weekers don't stay that long, I don't think.

Vivian's stay was completely uneventful - she did have reflux, and mild apnea bradycardia episodes - so she went home with an apnea monitor, & reflux and breathing meds - but she was basically healthy as a horse.

Lily had a little harder time, I think because she was getting "the short end of the stick" in utero. She was really anemic and had a few blood transfusions. She had a little trouble eating and pooping at first, so we spent the first week or so stressing about if her digestive system worked right, but thankfully she was fine. Her reflux was worse and her apnea/ bradycardias were worse - she could not come out of them on her own like Vivian could. Because she kept having these severe spells, they got worried she was coming down with an infection so she spent ten days back on IV antibiotics as a precaution - but she never got sick. I was worried we were going to have to briong her home on oxygen, but her last week there they finally got her weaned off. She came home with a monitor, iron drops, and reflux meds as well. And she has done great!

I hope this helps! You and your baby will be in my thoughts [:)]

Alex, mama to:
Parker - born 4/15/2001
Vivian & Lily - born 7/14/2003 at 32 weeks

angelkat

Postby angelkat » Wed Jan 17, 637342 12:17 am

I started this on your other post but thought i would post it here. Casey is 34 weeks 0 days. He needed cpap for a few hours and o2 (.01 liters) for 1 day. He was in special nursery. Stayed 1 week due to a bradycardic spell (heart rate drop)then was able to come home. He was 5 pounds 13 oz when born (he's still a big boy lol)

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(14)PE 37 wks
Ky (12)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey - 34wks Born 7/29/04
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/l ... ope&Sort=V

Return to “Ask the Experienced”