Symptoms Update

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
denise

Re : Symptoms Update

Postby denise » Fri Apr 15, 2005 09:18 pm

Diane, hoping things are okay with you and baby. How did the visit go?

-------
Denise (29) Co-coordinator for WI
Jason (32)
Ariana (22 months)5/3/03-just shy of 35 weeks: Class 1 HELLP
http://hometown.aol.com/oneyodafan/DeniseHomePage.htm

specmom

Postby specmom » Thu Apr 14, 2005 08:15 pm

Diane, congratulations on reaching 32 weeks! Your changing symptoms are a bit concerning and should certainly be evaluated further. How did the home visit go today? Have they done a 24 hour urine test or blood work (HELLP/PIH panels)? Please let us know how you are doing. We'll be thinking of you.

Tamara
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors/Ask the Experienced
*Cole(2/15/03)-GD?/PUPPP/HELLP/severe atypical PE/Emerg.C/S
*Joshua (1/10/05)-Postpartum PIH & PUPPP

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:04 am

Diane,

WHOA!!! 3+ AND pressure that high! Have you called your OB/midwife?? If not, do so NOW! A trip to L&D for a few serial bps and a few blood tests may be necessary at this point.

Just wanted to tell you...don't let the swelling get so bad that you can't open your eyes!!! If your face starts swelling be concerned...don't want until you can't open your eyes! OMG I can't believe they told you that! Maybe you should try seeing someone else??!

Your bps are pretty high. Most doctors tell their patients call in for anything over 150/100.

As far as going to the hospital and having things calm down...join the club!! I was admitted twelve separate times and each time my bp was really high (160s/90s) and came down within 2 - 3 hours to 130/80s. That's part of the PE problem. Labile pressures. They go back and forth before they STAY dangerously high. Don't worry about crying wolf. With ANY pregnancy, there is no such thing as crying wolf. You're just being a good mommy.

Congrats on the 32 weeks!! That is great news!!!

Rachel Adamson
Arkansas Coordiantor

Dylan Samuel 10/04/04 @ 32 weeks (due to severe PE)

diane_uk

Postby diane_uk » Thu Apr 14, 2005 03:52 am

32 weeks today!!
Things aren't looking too good today though... Suddenly getting +3 for protein on my test sticks. BP is still up at 140/95.
Someone is coming out today to pay a home visit to check BP etc.
I am wondering what they are going to advise if they diagnose PE. I guess I'll be admitted for monitoring which I am not looking forward to. Every time this happens everything seems to calm down and I feel as though I am wasting their time.

As for dehydration, I have been making sure that I always have a drink to hand. I do feel though that everything I drink during the day goes into my legs and I spend all night on the toilet!

Diane x

Mum to Sadie, born 34 weeks - severe HELLP/PE
#2 due 09th June 05 - fingers crossed!

anne

Postby anne » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:36 am

Hi Diane

What an ordeal!!!

I have also had the leg swelling (without too much foot). I defnitely need to spend a couple of hours laying down every day to keep it under control. My bp too, without my nap it is up in the high 130's over 85-90...with it it is in the 125/85 range. Could you try napping whne Sadie does (assuming she is small enough to nap)??

I do find that some walking, etc actually then helps in the pm. Nothing strenuous, just walking a 2 year old around! I also have A LOT of braxton hicks contractions...dehydration really brings them on. Are you drinking enough??

I hope that things continue to be ok...none of us want to see someone get HELLP again! Once is enough!!!

Anne
Cooper May 9, 2003 (HELLP and severe pre-e at 35 weeks)
EDD May 31, 2005

diane_uk

Postby diane_uk » Tue Apr 12, 2005 07:05 am

Ok, midwifes (x2) have just been. Explained the swelling and the weight gain which they didn't seem concerned about. One of them told me that if I wake up in the morning and cannot open my eyes then there is definately a problem.
I also mentioned my terrible eye 'floaters' and the fact that my right eye has been madly twitching for 3 days.

The first midwife took my bp and I could immediately see she was concerned 150/100. She asked the other one to take it who said it was hard to tell on this monitor and ended up marking my notes as 140/85! I guess this is just within the 'safe' range which is less hassle for them. Anyway, they must be concerned as someone else will be coming out on Thursday to re-take it.

They let me do my own urine dip, so I made sure of the 60 second wait. This only showed a trace of white cells.
Mentioned I had no movement today (which is unusual) and she said to call if less than 10 movements by tonight (heartbeat was fine).

Anyway, I have just re-taken my BP and got a reading of 140/100. I'll keep my eye on this tonight and see how I go. If I start feeling any worse or the dreaded 'rib pain' I will be straight to L&D.

Diane x

diane_uk

Postby diane_uk » Tue Apr 12, 2005 04:40 am

Called the midwife's office today to request that they pay a home visit and they agreed. I would have been walking to the office today and my legs feel as though they can't handle it.
Anyway, last night I awoke with the worst pain in my right arm and hand which needed some codeine to shift it. This is probably carpal tunnel syndrome which I have read about.

Today I have taken my BP 5 times. Resting BP is up to 145/103 which is worrying. I am also feeling very teary and stressed which is what could be affecting it.

Anyway, I'll post back after my appointment.

Diane

specmom

Postby specmom » Mon Apr 11, 2005 08:53 pm

Diane, I hope everything goes well at your appointment tomorrow. As Rachel said, please be sure to let your midwife know about all of your symptoms and concerns. It may be helpful to remind her of your PE/HELLP history with Sadie. Do midwives work with OBs in the UK or separately? Is there someone else you can consult for a second opinion if necessary? Please let us know what happens tomorrow.

Tamara
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors/Ask the Experienced
*Cole(2/15/03)-GD?/PUPPP/HELLP/severe atypical PE/Emerg.C/S
*Joshua (1/10/05)-Postpartum PIH & PUPPP

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:48 am

Diane,

The swelling sounds terrible.

Be sure to let your midwife know and be sure he/she takes your claims seriously. Sometimes they don't alway stop and answer questions!

Good luck and update us!

Rachel Adamson
Arkansas Coordinator

Dylan Samuel 10/04/04 @ 32 weeks (due to severe PE)

mom2tori

Postby mom2tori » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:09 am

Diane, I hope this symptoms are not a sign of PE, I have my fingers crossed for you and hope that your appointment tomorrow gives you a little more info on what is going on. If something changes though and you suddenly feel worse or just not right I would call right away. Just an opinion though. Glad to hear you will see someone tomorrow and I look forward to hearing on that appointment goes.

Alissa mommy to:
Dominic 9/10/97-9/11/97 @ 28 weeks
Victoria 1/8/02 @ 30 weeks

Return to “Ask the Experienced”