A Couple of Questions...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
denise

Re : A Couple of Questions...

Postby denise » Fri Apr 22, 2005 02:37 pm

Oh Diane, I'm sorry to hear you are feeling so helpless with your care. Are you able to file a complaint with the office manager or someone? I'm really concerned for you. Please keep an eye on things, and head into the office if you feel "off" in any way.

-------
Denise (29) Co-coordinator for WI
Jason (32)
Ariana (22 months)5/3/03-just shy of 35 weeks: Class 1 HELLP
http://hometown.aol.com/oneyodafan/DeniseHomePage.htm

diane_uk

Postby diane_uk » Fri Apr 22, 2005 00:55 am

Thanks for all your replies.
I did mention the vision changes to the Doc and she asked whether I have had my eyes tested recently! My reply was that my sight has literally deteriorated over a few days and yes, I have had my prescription updated recenty.

I have completely lost all faith in the doctors/midwives at the OB's clinic. To be honest, I haven't even been in to get my BP rechecked this week as I can do this at home (which I have been told specifically not to check myself). Last time I had it checked there on Monday it was high 135/100, but then I was made to lie down flat for 10 minutes and it came down to around 130/85 - which I knew was inaccurate.

Anyway, I am regularly watching for other symptoms and checking my BP and urine at home. To be honest though, if things get worse as suddenly as last time (see my recent post in HELLP Syndrome Survivors) there won't be any warning signs.

I'll update again soon,

Diane x

Mum to Sadie, born 32 weeks - severe HELLP/PE
#2 due 09th June 05 - fingers crossed!

ekc

Postby ekc » Thu Apr 21, 2005 08:12 am

I had some vision changes during pregnancy. I remember not being able to see as well and moments of blurring vision. Inconvenient for me, but it went away for the most part. My vision does not seem to be as good as it was, but maybe that comes with age too!

Erinn (26)

Chase ~ 33.5 wks, 3.5#, 16"

severe pre-e

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Wed Apr 20, 2005 08:09 pm

Yu;p I had the vision problems. It was pressure in my head causing the shape of my eyes to change and thus my prescription. By the time I delviered I was only seeing slightly better with my glasses/contacts on then without them on. As for the weight gain, you could possible be swelling in places you haven't even realized it yet. Looking back at my pictures of before the PE showed up and afterwards, my upper body was sooo swollen not just my hands and face, but also my forearms, neck, chest and you didn't really notice it until comparing to what I look like before/normally.

Erin

Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go

denise

Postby denise » Wed Apr 20, 2005 07:36 pm

Diane, what did the doc say about the floaters? I'm really concerned about you and your care. Problems with vision are of a serious concern as they may be indicative of cerebral edema, swelling of the brain. Here is a link to the signs & symptoms page: www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp

Are you able to see someone else for your care?

-------
Denise (29) Co-coordinator for WI
Jason (32)
Ariana (22 months)5/3/03-just shy of 35 weeks: Class 1 HELLP
http://hometown.aol.com/oneyodafan/DeniseHomePage.htm

cassie05

Postby cassie05 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 06:12 pm

I agree with Rachel...get a second opinion. I saw major floaters with my son.

cassie is mommy to...
stephen...severe pre-e...delivered at 27+6...1 lb 12 oz
...and pregnant with kaitlyn

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:13 am

Diane,

That's exactly what I had. Blurry vision. My vision blurred for anything five feet away (and I have perfect vision). My doctors dismissed it as a sign of worsening PE. They said it must be floaters to be a sign of worsening PE. I disagree, as will many other experienced PE women.

The 14 pound/3 week weight gain is concerning. That's an average of 4 1/2 pounds a week. Did your midwife not say anything about this?

The diastolic just "hanging" out 100 is definitely not good.
Maybe you should start looking for a second opinion. Please. Are you seeing anyone other than a midwife?

Rachel Adamson
Arkansas Coordinator

Dylan Samuel 10/04/04 @ 32 weeks (due to severe PE)

anne

Postby anne » Wed Apr 20, 2005 09:16 am

Hi Diane
I am a week ahead of you and my bp is about the same as yours (130's over 90's). I am on modfifed bed rest and off work. I helps A LOT.

I am staring 2X weekly NST's today. I also have lots of floaters and occasional sparkles, but they usually are related to getting up too fast, etc. Sometimes normal preg changes can cause blurred vision - but I would defnitely ask your midwife/dr.

If you feel like you need more frequent monitoring then ask - that's what I did this week and my dr agreed it was a good idea, even if it mostly for my peace of mind.

Anne
Cooper May 9, 2003 (HELLP and severe pre-e at 35 weeks)
Cleo - C section Scheduled for May 25, 2005

cara

Postby cara » Wed Apr 20, 2005 07:38 am

Hey Diane-

I had moments of blurred vision (once while driving, very scary) and that in conjunction with the high BP (I was averaging 160s/100s) the Dr said I had a mild case of Pre-e. I did 24 hour urines every weekend and went into the OB for NST 2x/week. I did ultrasounds 2x/week with the peri. I also gained about 15 lbs in 3 weeks. I had only gained 12 lbs at 6 mos then all of a sudden, I blew up like a freaking balloon. I wasn't on meds, the peri recommended bedrest but I wouldn't have been able to afford a baby since I didn't have short term disability at the job I was at. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have taken his advice and maybe Grant would have been able to cook a little longer.....but if if was a skif, we'd all take a ride, huh?????

The vision thing is another indicator of Pre-e so be careful and listen to yourself if you think something's wrong!!!!

Cara L. Stevens
DS - Grant 3/28/04
33 weeks PIH/Pre-e
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/boogerbrow/

diane_uk

A Couple of Questions...

Postby diane_uk » Wed Apr 20, 2005 07:05 am

Hi all,
not updated since my high BP readings last week...
33 weeks tomorrow and my BP is now hanging around the 130/100 mark which has come down a bit. I am being checked every 2/3 days for BP/protein by the midwife, not on meds at the moment (or bedrest).
Gained 14 pounds in 3 weeks (not due to overeating) however swelling is not as bad at the moment so not sure where the weight gain is?!

Had an appointment at OB's clinic on Monday (only seen by his doctor though) and had a scan to check for growth. The baby's growth seems to have slowed since my last scan 4 weeks ago. The growth has gone from 70% to 50% - does this indicate that the BP is affecting growth?
I have another scan in 3 weeks (if I get that far).

A question about eyesight... over the past few days I have noticed that my vision has deteriorated a lot. I wear glasses all the time for distance, however everything past a few metres away looks very blurred at the moment. I also have lots (and I means lots) of floaters at the moment. I did mention this to the doctor.
Has anyone experienced this type of vision change?

I appreciate any advice!

Diane x

Mum to Sadie, born 34 weeks - severe HELLP/PE
#2 due 09th June 05 - fingers crossed!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”