News, 20 second showers and pp depression

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
lucy

Re : News, 20 second showers and pp depression

Postby lucy » Mon May 02, 2005 01:29 pm

Thanks Jill I am doing alot better I am still taking the zoloft so hopefully it will continue to work, my brother came down for the weekend to see Sebanna too so I got to get out which was nice we even went out to the movies anyhow thanks again

Lucy (18) -Mom to Sebanna Sarine 6 lbs 7 ozs and 20 inches long born April 9 2005 at 37 wks following 3 1/2 wks of hosplization Diagnosed with pre-eclampsia again at 31 wks

Dh deployed until Dec or longer

Proud mommy to Sebastian Orpheus 1lb 9.9 ozs 12 inches long stillborn at 26 wks due to pre-eclampsia we will always love and never forget you beautiful baby boy!

Mom to Garet 8 Angie 7

jilly

Postby jilly » Sat Apr 30, 2005 07:20 pm

Lucy, I had pretty bad PPD after Jake was born, fortunately it only lasted for 6 weeks, but I was also completely blown away at how intense it was. I was either sitting in a depressive stupor, or crying my eyes out, or totally panicking over absolutely nothing. I wanted to die, I wanted to give him back, I felt like the worst person in the world, that I would never, ever EVER be good at this "mother" thing, and then I felt totally guilty for experiencing any of those feelings. It was SO horrible and I totally understand how you feel. It ended because I stopped nursing and went on Prozac. One thing I do know for sure, though, is that talking about it is the best thing you can do for yourself. Not only is it good for you to get your feelings out, but studies have shown that when women talk to other women, oxytocin is released in their brain and their seratonin can stabilize. I have no idea how that works, but apparently it's true; it was definitely true for me.

Jill

DS Jacob, PIH @ 35 weeks, born 1/25/02 at 41 weeks
It's a boy! Due 7/29/05

lucy

Postby lucy » Wed Apr 27, 2005 09:32 pm

Thanks Dori I only had one huge dilemma about taking it (besides the obvious that I dont like to take meds) and that was they said they didnt know if it was safe for breastfeeding mothers aka they dont know what gets to the baby which bothered me because I do not want to make myself feel better at her expense. Do you know if it causes weight gain at all because that would be very depressing [:)] I am just starting to lose a little [:I] oh well I know I need the meds especially since I heard my husbands unit has lost 17 men already and they have only been there a few months I am hoping it isnt true because I am going to worry enough as it is if you could all just pray that he gets home quickly and safely you have no ideal how much I would appreciate it.

Lucy (18) -Mom to Sebanna Sarine born April 9 2005 at 37 wks following 3 1/2 wks of hosplization Diagnosed with pre-eclampsia again at 31 wks

Proud mommy to Sebastian Orpheus stillborn at 26 wks due to pre-eclampsia we will always love and never forget you beautiful baby boy!

Mom to Garet 8 Angie 7

dorio22

Postby dorio22 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:18 am

I have been on Zoloft for a year and a half now. It has really worked well for me. It is safe to take during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Hope it works as good for you as it has for me.

Dori (35) - Utah
Mom to Kallie, Born 09/02 Adopted,
Brianna, born at 35 wks due to Severe PE, 6 lbs. 7 oz.
Pregnant Again, EDD 08/01/05

lucy

Postby lucy » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:36 am

Thanks for the replies, as far as putting her in a bouncer and taking her in the bathroom with me I normally put her in her swing and take her in there, anyhow I went to the Dr on Monday for Sebannas appt and he put me on zoloft started me out on a low dose because of my concerns about being the only one to take care of her, I dont really like the ideal of having to be on medicine but I have to do something so hopefully it will actually work, on the bright side Sebanna is gaining weight good he did her second pku and it was all I could do not to grab her and leave he had to poke her three times and he bruised her legs squuezing anyhow the little sweety is fussing so if I have time I will check back later.

Lucy (18) -Mom to Sebanna Sarine born April 9 2005 at 37 wks following 3 1/2 wks of hosplization Diagnosed with pre-eclampsia again at 31 wks

Proud mommy to Sebastian Orpheus stillborn at 26 wks due to pre-eclampsia we will always love and never forget you beautiful baby boy!

Mom to Garet 8 Angie 7

cara

Postby cara » Mon Apr 25, 2005 07:07 am

Lucy-

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. My husband is also military (Army Guard) but he is here, thank goodness. I cannot imagine going through this without having him there for me. Be strong for the kids, they are looking to you for support!! If you need the help, take advantage of the military's programs, God knows they're taking advantage of all their options.

I also used the bouncy seat when I needed a shower. He usually stayed asleep and I got a few more than 20 seconds in!! Good Luck!!

Hope all goes well with you,

Cara L. Stevens
DS - Grant 3/28/04
33 weeks PIH/Pre-e
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/boogerbrow/

dorio22

Postby dorio22 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 07:37 pm

Hi Lucy,

I haven't talked to you for a while. Sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time, but like you said the hormones can be raging and make you feel horrible. I take Zoloft for anxiety and have taken it through both pregnancies. It does not make you sleepy. I take it before I go to bed. I dont' have any problems with it and it is safe to breastfeed with. You are dealing with alot and meds might just be what you need to take the edge off. I agree that you should just let her sleep and she will tell you when she is hungry. Sleep whenever you can. Just remember that this won't go on forever and that once your body starts to adjust and you get into a routine you will start to feel better and things will start to fall into place. Use whatever resources you can with the military, counseling would be a great idea. Thank goodness for your little angel. Aren't girls wonderful!

Dori (35) - Utah
Mom to Kallie, Born 09/02 Adopted,
Brianna, born at 35 wks due to Severe PE, 6 lbs. 7 oz.
Pregnant Again, EDD 08/01/05

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Sun Apr 24, 2005 04:23 pm

Lucy,

Caring for a newborn, though a joy, can wipe you out. You're doing it alone and caring for two older kids. Whatever you can do to take care of yourself, you should do. Discuss the depression with your doctor, AND discuss your concerns about meds. He can work with you to find a solution. As for counseling, you can take the baby. So, if you can go while the other two are in school, then childcare is taken care of. With all you've been through and continue to deal with, haivng soemone to talk to could be a great help.

As for the showering - my kids are 3 yr nad 10 months and it's still hard. Can you put her in the bathroom in a bouncy seat? OR shower while she naps and use a monitor so you ca hear her? OR, take a bath while she sleeps, you can hear if she wakes and you get to rest in the nice hot water.

For the most part I agree about not waking her, but I always drew the line after 4 hours, just becase I got uncomfortable in those early days. As long as she is peeing and pooping regularly she's eating enough. Soon enough she'll hit a growth spurt and you'll wish for the days where she slept lots and nursed less often. :)

So sorry to hear that your dh is going to be gone so much. Can you seek out a local mothers group - oftan they are at churches - so that you can gain some adult companionship and support? My dh raley travels, but even knowing he comes home each evening the days can feel long and lonely sometimes. Having the support of other moms really helps.

SueAnn
dh Kwame
ds Ezekiel 1/2/02 (34wks due to pre-e)
dd Naomi 6/25/04 (38 1/2 wks PIH)

lucy

Postby lucy » Sun Apr 24, 2005 01:32 pm

Thank you both for the replies, I havent got the chance to talk to my Dr yet but I take my baby in for an appt with him tommorow so I am thinking of mentioning it then but I know hes just going to want to put me on depression meds and since they can have side effects I cant do that right now because I have no one else to take care of the kids so if they made me fall asleep or whatever I would be alone with at least the baby possibly all three plus now the military is saying after dh gets home from Iraq he only gets to stay app 5 months then has to go to Afganhastain (sorry totally spelled that wrong) so I will be going at it alone for awhile its seeming I talked to the home health nurse about it a little and she said she would work on a reffereal for counseling but even that I dont really have time for anyhow hopefully things will work themaselves out.

Mom to Garet 8 Angie 7

tafkap

Postby tafkap » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:50 am

Lucy,

How great to hear from you.

Just wanted to jump in and say that you do NOT have to wake up baby to nurse. Let her sleep. she will eat when she is hungry. And while she is sleeping...you sleep... okay? I remember thinking the same thing, but after many discussions with her pediatrician and La Leche League... trust me, it's perfectly okay to NOT wake her up- just let her sleep. Her little body knows better than anyone when she needs to sleep, eat, cry, wake up, etc. I know it's hard, but you have to trust her instincts right now.

I can't imagine what is is like to parent after loosing a baby, but everything you've said is a normal part of being a Mom. I STILL hear a baby crying every time I'm in the shower- and mine is way beyond that stage. Put the baby moniter in the bathroom and crank it up. Leave the shower door or cutrtain open just an inch so you feel like the sound from the baby moniter will travel through... and then take a shower.

Drink LOTS of water. Take your body weight, divide by two, and that is the number of ounces of water you need PER DAY. Ex: 160 lb woman needs 80 ounces per day!!

Ditto Julie- bring all of this up at your 6 week PP check, but don't hesitate to call your doctor if you feel it is getting worse. : )

Is there a miliatry support group for women whose husbands have been deployed? See if you can find one on your base, or perhaps there is one online that could offer support.

Good luck, Lucy!!

Jess

Jessica- Colorado Co-Coordinator
DD Katherine Grace-10-13-2003
34weeks,6days,39minutes Preeclampsia at 5,340 feet
www.coreyandjess.info/newsite

Return to “Ask the Experienced”