Cholesterol and Preeclampsia

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
shawncloyd

Re : Cholesterol and Preeclampsia

Postby shawncloyd » Wed May 30, 2007 12:45 am

I had never had my cholesterol checked until after a bout with PE/HELLP. Still having the right upper Quad pain, they did a lot of blood work. My cholesterol was 352. I have been on cholesterol lowering drugs since, at least til March of this year when I found out I'm pregnant again. I'm really curious too, if the cholesterol has anything to do with PE and/or HELLP. And, since I was on meds to keep it down, does that reduce my chances for PE/HELLP.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Tue May 29, 2007 09:19 pm

I also have had high cholesterol. About a year before I first became pregnant, my cholesterol levels came back a little high. I chalked it up to being overweight and low thyroid.

Hypothyroidism can cause high cholesterol and is a risk factor for pre-eclampsia.

I haven't had a chance to have my cholesterol levels rechecked to see if they improved on thyroid meds. Because ever since I got on the right dose of thyroid meds, I have been either pregnant and/or breastfeeding. (both of which can elevate cholesterol levels).

miracle3

Postby miracle3 » Tue May 29, 2007 03:26 pm

Could this also shine some light on the link between pe and heart disease as well?

sandy

Postby sandy » Mon May 28, 2007 11:25 pm

This was an interesting thread to read; the start of which dating back years. As someone once said (Laura?) it's so sad that some of our health histories are kept in these forums. :)

I did post a few times in the past on this thread. The "latest" is that back in July, '07 (about 16-17 months postpartum) my cholesterol was found to be 296. I've had high cholesterol and chronic hypertension since my early 20's (not diet or weight-related; lucky genes).

So last July I started a cholesterol-lowering med. A few months after that, I changed to a combo cholesterol and blood pressure lowering med (feeling like I'm in my 60's here!) and that, together with increased exercise and I guess even better eating (I do have pretty good nutrition)...the latest as of last month is that I'm down to something like 130 total cholesterol!!

I'll always be interested to see studies about high cholesterol/insulin resistance and the development of PE. It's a shame that I can't take this med if I want to become pregnant...interesting to see how it might have affected my pregnancies had I been able to get these numbers pre-pregnancy.

echap77

Postby echap77 » Mon May 28, 2007 09:32 pm

I had high cholesterol (don't know my numbers right off hand) before this pregnancy and have had pre-eclampsia w/my first and this, my third pregnancies. I'm interested to know what my numbers are now. Interesting topic, though.

ekbowen

Postby ekbowen » Tue Apr 27, 2004 07:31 pm

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, but am so glad that I found this topic! It is so refreshing to know there are others out there!

I am so curious to know how long cholesterol may remain elevated postpartum. My cholesterol was fine prior to pregnancy. I did have an episode in my 20s when I was on birth control pills that it was elevated. As soon as I discontinued them, my cholesterol was fine.

I had my cholesterol checked at 9 weeks post partum - it was 275. My LDL was 190! My GP had no idea if this was pregnancy related, but I was able to do some research to find out that it could be. I discussed this with my ob and she said to wait until atleast 20 weeks postpartum to retest. I just had it retested again at 18 weeks pp (this was a bit early but I had to have labs done for something else and figured I would just have it checked in hopes that it would be better). I just found out that it was 233 and my LDLs were 160. Better, but not where it should be!

I spoke with a gastroenterologist about this and he feels it is definitely pregnancy related. He said to wait at least 2 more months before retesting.

So - I am hopeful that this was all part of the pe and that this will all go away!

I would love to hear any information anyone else may have discovered about this topic.

Glad I am not alone!

ekbowen

Postby ekbowen » Tue Apr 27, 2004 07:29 pm

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, but am so glad that I found this topic! It is so refreshing to know there are others out there!

I am so curious to know how long cholesterol may remain elevated postpartum. My cholesterol was fine prior to pregnancy. I did have an episode in my 20s when I was on birth control pills that it was elevated. As soon as I discontinued them, my cholesterol was fine.

I had my cholesterol checked at 9 weeks post partum - it was 275. My LDL was 190! My GP had no idea if this was pregnancy related, but I was able to do some research to find out that it could be. I discussed this with my ob and she said to wait until atleast 20 weeks postpartum to retest. I just had it retested again at 18 weeks pp (this was a bit early but I had to have labs done for something else and figured I would just have it checked in hopes that it would be better). I just found out that it was 233 and my LDLs were 160. Better, but not where it should be!

I spoke with a gastroenterologist about this and he feels it is definitely pregnancy related. He said to wait at least 2 more months before retesting.

So - I am hopeful that this was all part of the pe and that this will all go away!

I would love to hear any information anyone else may have discovered about this topic.

Glad I am not alone!

kimb

Postby kimb » Wed Apr 07, 2004 06:56 pm

My cholesterol has always been good - surprising to my dr's since I am overweight. From these discussions I had my dr take a new test and it did go up to 201 since the pregnancy and preeclapmsia - before it ran 170. It's a wierd thing - my tiny, petite, 110lb mother has a level of 245.

Kim 35
William Michael - my angel - pe/HELLP 7/7/03

denise

Postby denise » Wed Apr 07, 2004 06:52 pm

I had high cholesterol before I got preggos. Didn't go on any meds then because we were trying to get pregnant. Have since been on meds for the cholesterol and getting a check next week or so to check #s. Very interesting to see if there is indeed a true correlation or not.

Ariana-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP Syndrome/PIH
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm

julie f

Postby julie f » Wed Apr 07, 2004 06:00 pm

No high cholesterol here, just really bad luck I guess... I had mine tested right before pg and it was 163 but, I'm curious as to what it is now?? I don't dare test it before we start trying again though... [;)] I do remember reading somewhere that there are some theories that support a correlation though.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator

Return to “Ask the Experienced”