Brewer diet

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : Brewer diet

Postby djsnjones » Mon Nov 19, 2007 03:28 pm

AundaPenner, you are right. I have spent far to much time on this issue on this board in the past couple of days, which has been unfair to the other responsibilities in my life.

Fiona,
--I believe that what I have been offering in my posts for the past couple of days does fit that dictionary definition that you quoted.

--At the same time, I cannot give you the kind of academic information that you seek. That is not my role in this world.

--My "facts" are not your "facts", and so therefore I have nothing to offer you that fits your definition.

--We have talked about many, many issues over the past couple of days--so many and diverse that I cannot summarize them.

--If you are inviting me to now offer the clarification of the Brewer Diet inaccuracies that I offered to post earlier, I am glad to do that. But it seems that a policy of your board is to not give air space to remedies that have been deemed to be quackery, and the Brewer Diet fits that definition for you, so therefore I think that anything that I have to say is excluded.

I am willing to go away and not take up any more of your time, if you prefer.

Joy
djsnjones

Postby laura » Mon Nov 19, 2007 03:34 pm

Oh Joy, please don't think that you're wasting our time! Again, I thank you for your interest, and I thank you for your kind intent. I am sorry that you feel that you aren't free to air your thoughts, but I do very much understand what Caryn is saying: hashing out the details of the plan is futile if we can't establish the veracity of the basic premise.
laura

Postby jenanderson » Mon Nov 19, 2007 03:42 pm

I cannot claim to be well versed in this subject, however I am having a hard time figuring out just what is the point you have come to make. You say you have one, but not the energy to put into it? Why bother in the first place?
jenanderson

Postby djsnjones » Mon Nov 19, 2007 03:46 pm

Thank you so much for your kindness in this response!

I agree that if we can't come to the table with similar language and expectations debate is very difficult and perhaps futile.

And I can understand how we can't build on a basic premise if we can't agree on the basic premise.

One thing I am ambivalent about is that while I do understand this forum's strong aversion to quack solutions, and I do understand that allowing any mention of any detail of the BD could feel like an abomination in that regard, I am also disturbed that it seems that some inaccurate characterizations of some aspects of the BD are allowed to stand as if they were factual.

Joy
djsnjones

Postby djsnjones » Mon Nov 19, 2007 03:54 pm

Jenanderson, I originally came on to this board to express my regret that so many here have been hurt by insensitive people who caused them to feel blamed for their disease.

I also came on to offer more information about the BD, where there may be misunderstandings about what it really says, which is within easy reach of my expertise and knowledge.

What I was saying that I do not have time for is exhaustive literature searches, which is what I heard Onesock presenting as my only key to joining the debate, and which is outside my realm of expertise.

Joy
djsnjones

Postby laura » Mon Nov 19, 2007 04:00 pm

Joy, I think you've hit upon the crux of the problem.

Usually when folks come on to inform us about the diet (because the assumption is usually that we're ignorant of it) the implication is that if we had not 'abdicated our personal responsibility' to our selves and our children, we wouldn't have gotten sick, and many of our children would still be alive. Compounding this is the fact that Dr. Brewer wasn't entirely lucid during the final years of his life and tended to pepper both doctors and others with the accusations that they were 'killing women' because they wouldn't adopt his diet.

Because of the emotional turmoil this causes- we do tend to require more proof before buying into the idea that our ignorance caused what for many of us is one of the most traumatic experiences of our lives. Please don't think us unkind; it is just that we have more at stake here than the average person, and certainly more than your average client. If we're going to accept responsibility for our lives and deaths, our children's lives and deaths we MUST require concrete evidence, because the stakes are far too high to do anything otherwise. Best wishes, and kind regards!
laura

Postby djsnjones » Mon Nov 19, 2007 04:05 pm

I understand the perspective that you're coming from and the high stakes involved. Thank you for verbalizing it so well.

Thank you so much too for your kind words.

Joy
djsnjones

Postby jenanderson » Mon Nov 19, 2007 04:16 pm

Thank you for responding, I didn't mean to sound rude, I was truly unaware of your purpose. It seems to me that we will require someone with the ability to provide the literary proof to allow a further discussion on the topic. That of course being my opinion on a subject I am again not well versed on. I have definitley learned quite a bit today by reading this post!
jenanderson

Postby djsnjones » Mon Nov 19, 2007 04:24 pm

No problem, jenanderson. No offence taken.

Warm regards,
Joy
djsnjones

Postby onesock » Mon Nov 19, 2007 04:46 pm

In response to...
"What I was saying that I do not have time for is exhaustive literature searches, which is what I heard Onesock presenting as my only key to joining the debate, and which is outside my realm of expertise."
If you come on a forum and expect to dispell how people feel about your cause, it is probably a good idea to come on armed with solid, factual information. Your website is titled "The Brewer Pregnancy Diet," yet you are not aware or able to give us any scientific data? That frightens me...I would think that if you were promoting the BD both via website and elsewhere, your realm of expertise would be quite broad and would include this information and studies to back it up.
When you say you have spent too much of your time on this board already, how do you think that makes us feel? That we didn't get all googly eyed and crazy about the BD, so it is a waste of your time?
I have never intended to come off as rude or condescending to you, but I feel like you are writing in circles and not giving us the information we need.
Please post where I presented that you needed exhaustive literature searches to join the debate, as I don't recall ever saying such a thing.
I, respect the work that you do as a nurse, however, I respectfully disagree with your stance on any diet cure for PE.
onesock

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the Experienced