Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Brewer diet

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : Brewer diet

Postby djsnjones » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:13 pm

by djsnjones (38 Posts), Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:13 pm

"Joy, I'm not sure why you assume I - or anyone else here - haven't read up on Dr Brewer and his work. Because we don't accept it as proven fact?"

*No, that is not why I don't think that anyone here has read all the papers and research that are listed in Brewer's thesis and in all of his books. The reason that I think that is that I think that those papers would be very hard to find.
djsnjones

Postby onesock » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:32 pm

by onesock (1606 Posts), Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:32 pm

To reiterate what Amanda said, your theory on natural home birth is lovely and there are plenty of us who would have done just about anything to be able to experience that. Unfortunately, this disease does not afford us that luxury of knowing what that is like. I think that is where the conflict of opinions and viewpoints are stemming from, because luckily, you have not had the terrifying birth experiences we have had. Just a thought...
onesock

Postby hhbeachgurl » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:41 pm

by hhbeachgurl (655 Posts), Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:41 pm

quote:
Originally posted by djsnjones

"Joy, I'm not sure why you assume I - or anyone else here - haven't read up on Dr Brewer and his work. Because we don't accept it as proven fact?"

*No, that is not why I don't think that anyone here has read all the papers and research that are listed in Brewer's thesis and in all of his books. The reason that I think that is that I think that those papers would be very hard to find.

When you have had access to one of the countries top medical university's library, it is not as difficult as you might think. And while I have not read every single on I have read a great great deal of both research on the Brewer diet and research that Brewer used.
If it is so hard to find, in your opinion, then I imagine you have not read all, so it seems that again you are spouting knowlede without having fully researched it, so we are back at this being from your ancedotal evidence (oh and exucse typs as I am typing while nursing)
hhbeachgurl

Postby djsnjones » Tue Nov 20, 2007 00:09 am

by djsnjones (38 Posts), Tue Nov 20, 2007 00:09 am

"So we are back at this being from your ancedotal evidence"

*Not exactly. I have been reading what the Brewers have written in their books, and talking with him for at least some of the past 30 yrs.

"Your theory on natural home birth is lovely and there are plenty of us who would have done just about anything to be able to experience that. Unfortunately, this disease does not afford us that luxury of knowing what that is like. I think that is where the conflict of opinions and viewpoints are stemming from, because luckily, you have not had the terrifying birth experiences we have had."

*I commiserate with you. I had a very traumatic first birth.

djsnjones

Postby djsnjones » Tue Nov 20, 2007 00:16 am

by djsnjones (38 Posts), Tue Nov 20, 2007 00:16 am

I think that it is time for me to move on now. It seems that I'm just reiterating what I've already said.

(hhbeachgirl, I love the reason for your typos. It made me smile to imagine the scene).

I wish you all many blessings and much good health as you continue your search.

Warm regards,
Joy
djsnjones

Postby aundapenner » Tue Nov 20, 2007 05:36 am

by aundapenner (1624 Posts), Tue Nov 20, 2007 05:36 am

Joy,

I just don't understand anything that you said. Time and again you've been here saying something about inaccuracies here on pe.org, but haven't identified them.

Then, you attempt to throw the ball in our court and say that "if" you're allowed to speak here.

Come on. Let's be realistic here.

You want all of us to accept your truth as the ultimate. (Have you read my posting "miracle cure???")

It just doesnt' work that way.

Let's just say that you had a cure for breast cancer. Not just cancer, but a specific cancer. Don't you think the media would JUMP on that chance to publicize? Wouldn't there be a nobel prize? Wouldn't there be lots more info out there, and don't you think that more and more doctors would recommend the cure, instead of losing patients?

To me, you're all talk and nothing else.

I can appreciate that you feel the work you do is important. But I personally find you full of wind. You've said time and again nothing but the same thing.

And in saying the same thing, you've said nothing.

How sad ...
aundapenner

Postby onesock » Tue Nov 20, 2007 08:39 am

by onesock (1606 Posts), Tue Nov 20, 2007 08:39 am

In response to
"I commiserate with you. I had a very traumatic first birth"
I am sorry and don't want to sound insensitive to your birth experience. I did not recall reading this, I just remembered that you had not experienced PE. Sorry that your birth experience was bad.
I wish that since you have gotten the "go ahead" from a moderator, why leave now? Why not address the issues?[?]
onesock

Postby laura » Tue Nov 20, 2007 02:57 pm

by laura (5139 Posts), Tue Nov 20, 2007 02:57 pm

Ladies, just a friendly reminder from your helpful local Laura: watch the rhetoric, please refrain from personal jabs, and just argue the points, please! We all feel pretty emotional about this, so it is even more important to keep close rein on the words. And if you want to comment on my abilities/inabilities/general nosiness/annoyance [;)]email me, please, don't post it here!
laura

Postby heather100 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 03:21 pm

by heather100 (1321 Posts), Tue Nov 20, 2007 03:21 pm

Just my personal opinion for what it's worth...

Is there any point to continuing this topic? We have learned nothing except we've gained even more evidence and research (even when we already had so much) that the Brewer's Diet can NOT prevent or reverse pre-e.

No matter how many times we ask for it, Joy has and will not provide any facts or links to studies that prove Brewer's Diet can prevent pre-e so aren't we wasting our time with this topic as we go around in circles?

We just have such a WONDERFUL group of supportive ladies that I don't want us to loose our focus which is to provide support to women that are currently or have in the past experienced pre-e. Or even those that are pregnant again and are scared that pre-e may happen again.

Just a thought!!! Love this place, by the way!!!!
heather100

Postby laura » Tue Nov 20, 2007 03:42 pm

by laura (5139 Posts), Tue Nov 20, 2007 03:42 pm

Good points, Heather! We don't want to lose focus on our primary mission, which is to provide support for our members.

I think Joy has established that she doesn't have the peer-reviewed stuff we prefer, but the issue of 'inaccuracies' about the BD remain. I've suggested that if Joy would like to move this forward- she come up with a list of the inaccuracies so that we can discuss them. I am trusting that if we do continue this discussion that we can maintain a civil tone in our communications- because if it continues to deteriorate, we'll be forced to shut it down. We are not about folks leaving here feeling hurt or marginalized, regardless of their viewpoint, so please keep that in mind, 'kay?
laura

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the Experienced