Pertussis took another babies life.IMPORANT UPDATE

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support
celticepona

Re : Pertussis took another babies life.IMPORANT UPDATE

Postby celticepona » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:01 pm

Cassie,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I had to make a very scary desicion to get Emily vaccinated against pertussis. Through me she has a family history of severe allergic reactions to the pertussis vaccination. When I recieved the dtp when I was 2 mos old I had a severe reaction that caused me to stop breathing twice, and I had to be brought back with rescue breathing. since Emmy is so much like me, we opted for saftey's sake to bypass the pertussis and go with the dt shots, I especially agreed with that desicion after she received a dtap by mistake at 6 months and developed the same welt at the injection site that I did. I was terrified and watched her breathe for weeks. However, after she turned 15 months we made a hard desicion that the threat of whooping cough was greater than the threat of an allergic reaction and I got her 2nd Dtap, which her doctor said will be enough to protect her. This is such a hard desicion though...I fear whooping cough, and although I know the dtap is 'safer' than the dtp I received 30 years ago...I am still scared...we need to protect our children from pertussis but we also need a SAFE way to do that too....

its been 2 weeks since she got her shot...no reaction yet....I am starting to calm down a little now.

cassie05

Postby cassie05 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 08:23 pm

That doctor is right, it is criminal for a child to die from pertussis...dont give up, keep fighting in memory of Sebanna

lucy

Postby lucy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 06:27 pm

Extremely so, I found more information about its rise etc in the most recent baby talk magazine (September 2005) under the are vaccines safe article they have included information about pertussis whooping cough heres some of what they said

Despite our relatively high vaccination rates in the U.S., many American communities still have outbreaks of diseases like measles and pertussis, a respiratory illness characterized by spasms of coughing that can last for weeks or even months. In 2003, 13 children died of the infection.

Unvaccinated children can also spread infection to vulnerable family members. "Those children are more likely to give a disease to those who can't fight it off, such as a six-month-old or a grandparent living at home," says Dr. Saari. The incidence of whooping cough has been increasing since 1980, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently recommended a pertussis booster shot for 11-year-olds because the risk of passing the disease to a vulnerable relative is so high.Case in point: Last year in Wisconsin 300 children under age 1 came down with whooping cough, 177 of them less than 6 months old. Of these, half were hospitalized and three died. Yet, says Dr. Saari, "for a child to die from whooping cough in this day and age is criminal." Heres the link to read the full article for your self, http://www.parenting.com/parenting/maga ... _1,00.html? or if you get the paper copy its on page 52.

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Sun Aug 28, 2005 08:28 am

That's so sad...

lucy

Postby lucy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:10 pm

Heres a link to another story on whooping cough it was on yahoo just today http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050827/ap_ ... ugh_alaska I know Catherine lives in Alaska so please be careful, this illness needs to be fought its coming back in scary numbers, even just one case if terrifying.

lucy

Postby lucy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:54 pm

Incredibly so it breaks my heart.

cassie05

Postby cassie05 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:49 am

How sad [:(][:(]

lucy

Pertussis took another babies life.IMPORANT UPDATE

Postby lucy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 07:48 am

Well like I talked about in my post earlier tonight (under the topic "held the first baby since we lost Sebanna") I was already having a hard time dealing now I just found this http://www.wisinfo.com/newsherald/mnhlo ... 0573.shtml another baby lost to pertussis aka whooping cough [:(][V][:(][V] my heart is breaking even more I hate pertussis so bad [:(!] the need for awareness is sooo great please pass the word onto others awareness is so imporant as we all know, I have pertussis awareness ribbons I made (graphics and actual ribbons) on my site http://pucknstick14.tripod.com/id16.html along with information please copy the image and spread it on also I can make anyone that wants them the actual ribbons.

Return to “Grief and Loss”