Timing of TTC after m/c

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support

Re : Timing of TTC after m/c

Postby froggie89 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 09:29 pm

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking and praying for you during this time. I hope that you and your dh are able to make a decision that you're at peace with. It's never an easy decision. We'll be here to support ya whatever you decide! Take care. Lots of hugs coming your way.

Postby lisainnj » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:05 am

Well, looking at it just from the medical point of view:

I was advised by a peri that it was better to wait at least two cycles to TTC because then you had a lower chance of miscarriage. I think he was right. Many doctors advise waiting 3-6 months after stopping hormonal contraception to allow normal cycles to re-establish. There was an interesting article in Discover magazine maybe three years back that said that the ovum matured and was nourished over several cycles before release - in a cloud of helper cells. And that properly matured ova were more likely to divide properly on fertilization.

In my own experience, I miscarried a baby conceived immediately after a year of no ovulation (I believe an antibiotic re-started ovulation), miscarried another baby conceived immediately after the first miscarriage (had Down's, a trisomy) and then had a healthy baby conceived after three cycles of waiting. And Francesca, conceived when I was 44, seems to have had normal chromosomes even though I lost her to PE - she was conceived when I had regular ovulating cycles.

On the other hand, I read with PE, that the risk increases when pregnancies are far apart - that the uterus is "primed" by pregnancy to do it right the next time. And I'll buy that, with five years between pregnancies in my case - wham, PE out of the blue.

So - at least two or three normal cycles after the loss, but not too long...

Postby mom2tori » Thu Oct 19, 2006 09:27 pm

I wish I could help you on this Catherine, sorry that I can't. You are right that there isn't any set time to try again and there really isn't anything I can say. Please know that you are in my thoughts and I am wishing that this decision is one that is easy for you to make.

Timing of TTC after m/c

Postby akemt » Thu Oct 19, 2006 08:03 pm

So, while the pregnancy was a suprise, now we can't help but think of moving our "planned" pregnancy timing up a bit. Anyone relate to that?

Having lost loved ones before, I don't feel like I'm greiving in the same way as a mother who has lost a child, but I still catch myself thinking about buying maternity clothes or noticing names I like, etc.

I still know that logistically, I need to get this house finished first. And, probably should get our next home built first too! And, I still want to give adoption a last-ditch effort before putting it on hold for another pregnancy and baby. Ugh, if the state would EVER just get our homestudy finished! 11 months we're going on now!?!

I just...I don't know. Here I am asking how you decide on when to have the next after having tried (and failed, mind you) to respond to others asking that same question. I know the answers: there really isn't one. "Whatever is right for you." I guess I just feel the need to get the words and thoughts out.

Obviously we aren't ready yet (it isn't even possible yet LOL), but I can't help but think, Britt too, that we should move our timing up and not wait for all the above-mentioned reasons.

Return to “Grief and Loss”