Kelsi's 2nd birthday - can you help?

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support
timelessbeauty

Re : Kelsi's 2nd birthday - can you help?

Postby timelessbeauty » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:25 am

I love this idea as we teach this to the girls in Girl Scouts on how to be a "good Brownie". The girls are given the image of a "Brownie" to place wherever they have done a good deed. It doesn't have to be something related back to us as long as they know what they have done that is a good deed. Same thing happens with us adults as we are given our pins upside down and cannot turn them upright until we do our good deed. (and yes my pin is upright and I wear it proudly)

Kind of like paying it forward. It truly is a great thing to witness in motion, the power of positive thinking. Melissa, you are inspirational with this in that there is so much devastation and negativity associated with PE, this is a great way to focus on the positive/good/hope/potential in our lives.

I used to work across the street from our children's hospital who had a fountain in their visitors lobby. A wonderous place filled with stuffed animals, glass elevators, and fun paintings. I used to see kids with their families in the lobby enjoying the sites. I got the notion to leave 2-3 pennies around the fountain and watch kids find them to make wishes as they threw them into the fountain. I would leave there after lunch and hold the thoughts of those kids in my heart as I prayed their wishes came true. My habit rubbed off on a friend in the Child Psychology department and she ended up leaving pennies around as well.

I want to honor Kelsi's birthday and legacy. I shall do something in mind of her coming up on her 2nd birthday. I have an idea already but will have to see what I can do to make it happen. :-)

Thanks for the fire to get me going! It may be cold outside at this time of year but this is a very warm thought. :-)

belle8600

Postby belle8600 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:18 am

i too will do something for your baby. mine was supposed to be born on the 22 and i dont know what to do or how to get through it

hmoore

Postby hmoore » Mon Dec 04, 2006 09:40 am

I to will defiantly do something in Kelsi's memory for her birthday. I will send you a e-mail and let you know what I did. Thinking of you many hugs!

rosemary
Forum Moderator

Postby rosemary » Mon Dec 04, 2006 00:51 am

Melissa I will certainly do something to remember Kelsi and you on her birthday. You are in my thoughts.

froggie89

Postby froggie89 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:57 pm

Melissa,

Hugs to you, I'm sorry that things are rough for you right now. I'll be keeping you in thought and prayer during this holiday season and especially on Kelsi's birthday. I will definately do something in honor of Kelsi and let you know about it. What a wonderful way to honor her.

Take care. Much love and hugs...

duchess

Postby duchess » Sun Dec 03, 2006 08:20 pm

I think both of your ideas are wonderful. So many of the the selfless things I read on this board have inspired me to do something for others in memory of my daughter. I really don't have a lot of money, but I've decided to donate disposable cameras to the NICU where Madison was. One of the things that hurt me most was not having any good pictures of her. We had no idea she was going to be born that day so we had nothing with us. The hospital takes Polaroids, but they don't look very good. I don't want others to have to go through what we went through without having a decent picture of your baby to remember them by.

jana m

Postby jana m » Sun Dec 03, 2006 08:15 pm

Melissa,
I just put Kelsi's birthday on my calendar. I will think of something special to do in her honor and will happily share it with you.

I'm sure this is going to be a tough month for you. You'll be in my thoughts.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sun Dec 03, 2006 06:58 pm

As you know I do memory boxes at the hospital that I am at for Kelsi. The nurse manager knows about you and Kelsi's story. You were the reason that I decided to do the program. When I saw you in DC and saw Kelsi's memory box, I knew I had to do something for the women at my hospital. With it being such a small hospital, I can handle the number needed. I donated last February 6 boxes. Unfortunately some of those have been used. I just called about 2 weeks ago and they are not in need of any right now, but will call me when they do. The memory boxes contained a heart to collect hair in, clay for hand and foot prints, an angel pin, a camera, a blanket. They also were given outfits in newborn and preemie sizes and blank scrap books for pictures. The nurses already stamp feet when a baby is born.

Before I started doing boxes, moms were being sent home with a teddy bear. The nurse manager and I both agreed that a teddy bear doesn't cut it when you are going home empty handed. She tried to start a memory box program and got ones donated from Texas. Most were not appropriate as they were made by young kids. She gave these boxes to the peds ward for the kiddos to play with. So there wasn't anything in place. The feedback that I have gotten back from the hospital is amazing. Not very many people in town here know that I do this. I think my dr and the midwives know. There are several nurses that know as they were there when I delivered them (who knew that they would remember me all this time. When I had surgery in Oct, the nurse kept walking by my room like she was trying to figure out who I was. Then she remembered as I was being wheelchaired out.) Anyway, there was one that was needed last month. A mom who had my dr as her dr was scheduled for a csection. Four days before, she seen the dr for an appt and her baby had died. 4 days before a scheduled csection. They did an emergency csection that afternoon. The nurse manager said that this mom was extremely grateful for the box. The nurse mamager personally delivered it. Mom took it with open arms. As you can imagine, it was chaos when it was discovered that she had a fetal demise. I imagine they didn't expect to have a baby that day and were probably unprepared with cameras and such. She said that mom was very very grateful. She also told me that I had no idea how much the moms appreciated it. Now they have something of their babies to go home with. She said the nurses think it is fabulous. She said so many of them just don't know what to say or do when a woman has a fetal demise or know that the baby is going to die after birth. The boxes at least give them something to be able to give some comfort to the moms. When they run out, I will be doing more boxes. Me doing boxes has inspired other women to do boxes as well for their own babies memories. So that circle is getting even bigger. Butyou knew that already. :)

melissam

Kelsi's 2nd birthday - can you help?

Postby melissam » Sun Dec 03, 2006 06:34 pm

Hey ladies,

Kelsi's 2nd birthday is on the 30th of this month. I can't believe that it is 2 years already. For whatever reason, I am actually having such a difficult time this year. I don't know if it is worse than last year or not, but I am just reliving all of it spontaneously throughout the weeks and such. It is kind of interesting. [:p]

We are asking all of our family and friends (and you all certainly fall into that group) to do something nice to honor her sweet little life. It could be ANYTHING!!!! Plant a flower, a tree, shovel someone's walk, take them cookies, make a dinner or a card for someone, call someone you love just to chat, call someone you have been meaning to, but haven't. It serioulsy could be anything. Just please do something nice for someone else. I would love to hear about it if you choose to do it. We have heard some of the neatest stories from this. We did it last year for her first birthday also. I don't need to hear about it though. I would much rather that you do it and not hear about it rather than have you not do anything at all.

Thank you so much ladies.[:X]

Return to “Grief and Loss”