Stupid things people say! What are they thinking?

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support

Stupid things people say! What are they thinking?

Postby shonia » Tue Mar 30, 2004 01:06 pm

It has been 5 months and 5 days since my daughter Savana was born still. I have struggled with the insensitivities of others around me. You know, those stupid things that come out of their mouth and you are sitting there speechless for fear you will snap if you even begin to tell them what you think. Here are some of the things people have said already:

"Well, at least you didn't get to know her and see her smile, hear her talk. That should be easier for you." or,

"Shonia, she could have had something wrong with her and you would have had to care for her for the rest of your life." or,

"I saw Savana after she was born and the only thing she didn't have was a butt." (because she only weighed 2lbs.2oz, she didn't have her fat tissue) or,

"Before the coroner came to pick her up from the hospital, she was starting to get cold."

What about anyone else? Actually writing this to people who understand seems to help me. Would you like to release all those harbored feelings that you let very few people see? I'm here to listen.

Shonia Burch
Mother of Savana Lynsey
Born still 10/25/03 @ 31 weeks

Return to “Grief and Loss”