strange and disturbing - "reborn" dolls

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support
christyrenee86

Re : strange and disturbing - "reborn" dolls

Postby christyrenee86 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 00:06 am

I look at my son sometimes and wonder what his big sister would be like and it makes me teary eyed....I couldnt imagine having a doll and pretending it was Ari and it just sat there and I knew she would be 2 1/2 years old!

lucy

Postby lucy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 02:13 am

quote:Originally posted by griffin042504

I don't think that the dolls themselves are weird but I do think that the people who actually walk around with them showing them off as though they were alive well, to me, that's a little unique. Not sure if it's wierd - to each their own - but I know I would be creeped out if I stopped to admire a baby and it wasn't 'real' yet the person holding it was acting as though it was..
ditto

jenanderson

Postby jenanderson » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:41 pm

I just cannot even fathom spending that much money on a doll! I'm still sitting here with my mouth open, WOW! I need to have that kind of expendable income!

mom29

Postby mom29 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 09:37 pm

I poked around on the net and see that the 20/20 show was about one woman who carried the doll around and was glad when people thought it was real. Then I went to one of the doll websites and see that the dolls are for collectors. I think 20/20 was sensationalizing the story just for shock value. If you take a look at one the doll sites they are quite realistic and beautiful. Too expensive for a little girl to play with though, price started at $700.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 03:50 pm

OMG I saw this too! Some of them hadn't even lost babies, just wierd women! I'm sorry but I find it pretty creepy. I mean, being in the dog show world, I see ALOT of people who start to treat their dogs like children (in an extreme creepy kind of a way) but a DOLL is even worse IMO LOL! Very wierd to me! I would have to laugh if I saw someone in public w/one> Honestly, I was thinking mental illness when I saw it.

kbunsey

Postby kbunsey » Mon Jan 19, 2009 01:45 pm

"Always cute, no college tuition" = gross! Did someobody actually say that?

You pay college tuition for your child/grandchild b/c they are a human being, with a mind, and their own personality, who is developing into an adult, which is NORMAL.

I read in some of the grief literature that sometimes women will carry around dolls after experiencing a loss and that this is considered a "normal" grief response. That makes sense, I get it. Losing your child in pregnancy or infancy is horrifying and traumatic, so carrying a doll doesn't seem too far off. But for how long is it considered "normal grief" to carry around a doll? Weeks? Months? Years?

My arms ached for my baby girl, but I didn't carry around a doll. I might have if I didn't think dolls were a bit creepy. I've never been much of a doll admirer. Plus, I was pregnant w/ a living baby, not a doll. I wanted to hold my wiggling, squirming, cooing, crying, breathing baby. I do try to cradle my cats every now and then, begging, "Please kitty, I want to hold a small mammal" - they're totally not into it. Cats! I am being kind of silly when I do this perhaps trying to entertain myself out of my sorrow. I appreciate their snuggling now more than ever though, but you don't see me carting my cat around in a stroller.

Did this story strike a nerve in me or what?

mom29

Postby mom29 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 06:03 pm

Are these dolls mostly for women who have lost a child or for women who want play pretend with a doll? It does seem weird that a grown woman would walk around town with a baby doll!

mrs.magdaleno

Postby mrs.magdaleno » Fri Jan 09, 2009 04:21 pm

I would never want a doll replica of Jake. He can never be replaced. I know that. But I also know how grief makes you do some foolishly weird and bizarre things. That's when you need to realize you need professional help.

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Thu Jan 08, 2009 04:06 pm

I don't think that the dolls themselves are weird but I do think that the people who actually walk around with them showing them off as though they were alive well, to me, that's a little unique. Not sure if it's wierd - to each their own - but I know I would be creeped out if I stopped to admire a baby and it wasn't 'real' yet the person holding it was acting as though it was..

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Thu Jan 08, 2009 03:03 pm

I've seen these dolls and it creeps me out. There used to be a woman in town here who had lost a child and would walk around town with a doll in her stroller.

When I was looking for preemie clothes and bottles, these dolls came up. Women were buying preemie clothes and bottles for the dolls.

Return to “Grief and Loss”