How many Placental Abruptions?

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support

How many Placental Abruptions?

Postby jamilyn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:58 am

Hi Ladies -
I delivered my 3rd son a little over 12 weeks ago stillborn due to a complete placental abruption at 25 weeks exactly. I had no signs or symptoms and had been in the hospital for almost 2 weeks being monitored very carefully. I had been on Mag for a few days and we knew I would be delivering very soon, infact my plan was for that afternoon. I lost a lot of blood but feel lucky I didnt have to have any blood transfusions, it got close but never did I need one.
My Peri has told me how rare it is but from looking around on the forums a lot of us have had placental abruptions.
I just would like to know how many of you have delivered your little angels due to a placental abruption and at what gestation, and what number pregnancy was it?
Im really interested to see and and hopefully if its in writting it will show the OB/PERI's how they treat PE patients. My Peri does a good job but I really think steps need to be changed even in there office.
jamilyn

Re : How many Placental Abruptions?

Postby me793462 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 03:20 pm

((Jamily)) I am so sorry for your loss.

I suffered a complete placental abruption at 29 weeks with my son and lost him due to it. I had a blood transfusion due to the amount of blood I lost. It was my first pregnancy. I did suffer a miscarriage prior to that but was only a few weeks along. I know that the PE and HELLP caused the abruption. I really had no signs/symptoms prior to the abruption. My health deteriorated very quickly.
me793462

Postby beiram » Wed Feb 10, 2010 06:36 pm

Jamilyn, I'm truly sorry for your loss. I also suffered a placental abruption during my first and only pregnancy. This happened at 25 weeks as well, but in my case it was a partial abruption. I had no symptoms...nothing. The pregnancy was going perfectly fine until one morning when I woke up bleeding pretty bad. My husband rushed me to the hospital. They couldn't find what was wrong with me because my blood pressure was fine, had no protein in urine, labs were fine. So they kept me there for 3 days just for observation. The day I was about to be discharged, my health deteriorated in a matter of hours. My urine turned very dark, had a horrible headache, the baby was stressed, platelets went down from 14K to 9K in only an hour, so they transfused me with platelets before an emergency c-section. I was told that I went straight to HELLP syndrome. Thank God I recovered from it (after spending 10 days in the hospital). My baby survived for 10 months. He went through a lot, fought really hard, but I ended up loosing him. I wish this disease wouldn't exist.
beiram

Postby misscoleyp » Wed Feb 10, 2010 08:05 pm

I had a complete abruption at 34+5. It was actually a 3rd degree abruption, showed no signs of abruption until I crashed from all the interanl bleeding. BP was normal when I was admitted, there was no blood when they broke my water, zero signs. Within 24 hrs I had 13 units of blood and they lost count on platelets. This was my second pregnancy, the first one was an early miscarriage.
misscoleyp

Postby jules2 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 07:15 am

My daughter was stillborn at 26 weeks. I had a small partial abruption, which probably contributed to the placental insufficiency which killed her, but was not the immediate cause (because it was "old"). But it was probably a factor. Its not just the massive ones that kill, sadly :-(

Is it my imagination that there are so many 25+5s around here (I was admitted on that day)? Or do I just notice those?

I am so sorry for your loss too xx
jules2

Postby annes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 08:27 am

Jamilyn, I am so sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself.
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby dolphincrazy316 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 00:27 am

My story is a lot like yours. I had been in the hospital for a week. The plan was to deliver me the next day. That morning the nurses came in to check the heart beat and they couln't find it. They rushed me in to have an emergency c-section. I had a complete abruption at 27 weeks. My third pregnancy. I also had a miscarrige. I had NO signs, which my dr thought was really strange. She said that usually you either have BAD pains or you start bleeding or both. I had nothing. Everything was fine one minute. Then horrible the next. I also delivered my first son at 27 weeks because of PE, thank God he is now a healthy 4 year old. My dr told me that if I decided to get pregnant again I would have to be on a blood thinner like lovenox. I am so scared that it could happen again. We just don't know what to do.
dolphincrazy316

Postby wrennie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:06 am

I am so sorry for your loss, hugs to you, ugg.

I had a complete abruption with my first at 31 weeks and 4 days. I had only a few signs, I couldnt pee that day and had the urge to, slightly elevated BP, and brown spots in my vision. I was in the hospital, preparing to deliver, got up to try to go to the bath room again, finally did, felt better, but then she was gone...we couldnt find her heart beat.

this is just an awful awful disease, I am so sorry you are here.
wrennie

Postby l412angel » Sun Feb 14, 2010 07:42 pm

wrennie im so sorry that happened, I can't even imagine! :(
l412angel

Postby jamilyn » Wed Feb 24, 2010 07:22 pm

thank you ladies for sharing your stories/experiences... im so sorry we are all having to "meet" because of this nasty disease.
jamilyn

Next

Return to Grief and Loss