A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support

Re : TTC

Postby angelkat » Fri Jul 16, 2004 06:51 am

Hi and welcome to the forum...

TTC after a loss is one of the hardest things I have ever done. The feels of guilt that comes with it at times, can be very overwelming. I'm currently 32 weeks preg and it's been over a year that we loss our daughter and still at times, my mind goes crazy. This preg I am always wondering when is it going to hit, things are going to well, even thought about asking for an anti depressant just to get me through some of the hard spots.

I know that my little girl is watching me and making things ok which helps greatly ... Just wish the next 3 weeks would fly by .......

You've come to wonderful place for support as there is a lot of us going thru all of the same things right now....

Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site

Re : TTC

Postby tracey » Fri Jul 16, 2004 06:18 am

Hi Tina
Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry for the loss of your little Emma.
I know all too well what you are going through right now.
It has been roughly 5 1/2 months since we lost our little Ila.
Our peri had told us we could try again after three cycles, (since Ila was delivered vaginally -- no c-section because my platelets were so dangerously low), but we waited an extra couple of months to feel a little more "ready" and confident. Plus, I had a little issue with my thyroid going out of wack after the pregnancy and had to wait until it was somewhat stabilized.
Most importantly, though, we both really wanted to get past her due date in mid-May -- that felt like a big day in terms of both celebrating her and mourning her loss.
With Ila we got pregnant the first month we tried. I had used an Ovulation Predictor Kit, only because my cycles were a bit shorter than "normal" and I wasn't sure when I would be ovulating.
We just started trying again two weeks ago, and though I don't yet know for sure, I'm guessing we weren't successful. Since I delivered, my periods have been quite irregular, ranging from 23-28 days, so I really had no idea when I would be ovulating. Again, I used an OPK. If I'm right, and we weren't successful this month, I will be charting for the next cycle on top of using the OPKs.
I would love, as you said, to let "nature take its course" -- I just don't think it's in my personality, at least not at this point in time. [:I] I wish it were. My husband believes that's the way to go too. But right now, because my cycles seem so unusual right now, I am charting and OPKing just as much to find out if I am, in fact, ovulating at all, (or at least trying to).
In the end, you just have to go with what you feel is right.
I am completely with you on the emotional side: it is terribly frightening but also incredibly exciting to make that choice to TTC. I know that for me the "romance" of the first pregnancy is gone, but I am certain I will still be able to enjoy a second pregnancy and celebrate it like it deserves to be celebrated, despite all the appointments and anxiety.

One question: have you had a consultation with a high-risk OB (perinatalogist)? If not, I would definitely recommend you look into it before you start trying, as there are some underlying disorders they can test for, which can increase your chances of getting pe. In any case, the results to those tests, whether positive or negative, can help guide them in creating a plan of action for your treatment next time. Also, being with a doctor who "specializes" in high risk pregnancies may boost your confidence level -- I found that knowing I would be in very good hands made it much easier for me to take a leap of faith.

I hopes this small novel helps you somewhat. I look forward to getting to know you better in the future. Good luck and please keep us updated.

mother to angel Ila Elizabeth (February 6, 2004), 25w2d

currently TTC number 2

Postby tinalowe » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:16 pm

Hubby and I have just passed the 6 month mark of losing Emma and have been given the go ahead to try again. A part of me is terrified of another pregnancy, scared that I will lose another child, something that I never considered after passing the first trimester with Emma. I just took for granted everything would be alright. The other part of me is excited about the possibility of becoming pregnant again. It's something I have to look forward to. Anyhow I was wondering how you all did it....did you do the charting, ovulation tests etc. or did you just let nature take it's course? We weren't as actively trying for number 1 as we will be for this one, we just weren't trying to prevent it.

Thanks all

Emma Victoria Lowe 12-28-2003

Return to “Grief and Loss”