Looking for ideas on how to support a co-worker

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Looking for ideas on how to support a co-worker

Postby alviarin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:19 pm

I think the most important thing is to acknowledge their loss in some way, regardless of method. A close friend who lost her baby shared that it was hurtful when people she knew said or did nothing, much more so than people who might have just inadvertently said the "wrong" thing in their efforts to console.

Something a mutual friend did to help was setup a fund to help with funeral expenses (no-one plans ahead to save for their children's funeral) and a meal delivery calendar.

I know when people are grieving it helps to be very specific with offers of assistance. If you say "please let me know what I can do to help" they may not know what to say, but if you offer something specific, like "may I deliver a meal to you between 6-8 pm tonight?" they can usually muster a yes or no.

maerod

Looking for ideas on how to support a co-worker

Postby maerod » Fri Feb 24, 2017 06:53 pm

I work with a small team in a small office. My boss and his wife had been trying to conceive for several years before they finally got pregnant with twins. We just found out today that they lost both of their babies to preeclampsia. My boss is relatively private, but shared this news with me. His wife is still in the hospital and I am not sure of her condition. Does anyone have any advice on how we as a team can console them? Should we send flowers to the hospital or is that inappropriate in this situation? Should we bring food? The couple does not have many friends locally (they are relatively new to our location) and I just want to do whatever we can to support them during this painful experience.

Return to “Grief and Loss”