Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Was I overeacting

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support

Re : Was I overeacting

Postby josiah1112 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 03:59 pm

by josiah1112 (1368 Posts), Fri Sep 10, 2004 03:59 pm

Oh, Nora. You are a great, caring mother.
Don't feel guilty. We all learn from our
mistakes. Sometimes we need to just do whatever
we need to in order to get us through and keep our
sanity. I will PM you later. Stay safe with Ivan
threatening our area.

Gloria mom to Josiah 11/12/03- 12/4/03 @ 26wks pre e
Moderator- Foro Latino
Future Adoptive Mom
josiah1112

Postby hannahsmom » Fri Sep 10, 2004 04:23 pm

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Fri Sep 10, 2004 04:23 pm

Nora - do we have the same inlaws?

I can't stand mine! They were so awful to me and Hannah when she was born because she wasn't normal - they were actually embarrassed of her. When we finally brought her home from the NICU they came to visit and would not wash their hands, and made fun of me for insisting that they wash their hands before holding her (it was also RSV season!) Now that she is "normal," they love her. I just want to punch them in the face when they say how beautiful she is because three years ago they told me how awful she looked and would not come visit her in the NICU and were embarrassed to show people pictures of her. My MIL does and says stuff like what you described all the time. We moved close to them about two years ago, but I am ready to move a million miles away! They are forcing us to want to put in for a transfer at hubby's job, but that would mean leaving my parents too, and my dad has cancer. Anyway, I could write a book about my "outlaws." You're not alone, and good luck!

Suzanne
Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Fri Sep 10, 2004 04:32 pm

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Fri Sep 10, 2004 04:32 pm

By the way - my dd was really delayed in everything. But when I put her in daycare at a year old she kept trying to keep up with the other children and caught up tremendously! She no longer needs speech therapy - she was in it for about 10 months. She starts OT next week, but the OT said she probably only needs it for a few months. Her teachers say she acts just like the other children and they can't even spot any delays! Maybe a play group would be fun or even preschool for your son. I did NOT want to put her in daycare at first because of germs, etc. But I was forced into it because I had to work and the in-home babysitter was no longer working out. It was the best thing I could have done for my child. She is sociable, happy, and pretty much caught up in development.

Good luck!

Suzanne
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Fri Sep 10, 2004 04:36 pm

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Fri Sep 10, 2004 04:36 pm

One more thing (sorry!) In Florida they have ESE pre-kindergarten for 3 and 4 year olds with disabilities, which is held at the public schools (and is free). They tested Hannah and she didn't qualify, much to our amazement! She was borderline and didn't get in - but we are going to have her tested again in 6 months. Our Early Intervention coordinator told us about it. Maybe you can check with your developmental coordinator about whether they do that in your state.

Suzanne
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Postby nora » Sat Sep 11, 2004 09:56 am

by nora (257 Posts), Sat Sep 11, 2004 09:56 am

Gloria,

Thanks for your support. Can you believe these huriccanes. I hope Ivan misses us just like Frances did. Let's hope.

Susanne

I am glad your daughter was able to catch up. I remember RSV season. I was very paranoid. People think I was just over doing the hand washing thing. I guess if you never had a micro preemie like our kids you would never understand.
I think my son has outgrown that program you mentioned because he is over four years old now. If you are aware if any other special needs schools in the Tampa bay area please let me know. Do you mind me asking you how much did your daughter's baby sitter charge? I just need to get an idea of what the pay would be if I hire somebody.

Thanks ladies

Nora

nora

Postby hannahsmom » Sat Sep 11, 2004 01:54 pm

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Sat Sep 11, 2004 01:54 pm

Hi! Our babysitter charged $125 a week. She was a friend of ours and that was three years ago when we lived in Mississippi. We live in Northwest Florida now. I, too, hope Ivan goes away! By the way, the pre-k program is for children 3 years old and there's another class for 4 year olds. It's a state program for children with disabilities, so you would just need to call your school district and ask about their ESE pre-k program. They admit children throughout the year, and the teachers are specially trained to deal with special needs children. The child just has to have some developmental tests to see if they qualify. Good luck!

Suzanne
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Postby josiah1112 » Sat Sep 11, 2004 03:32 pm

by josiah1112 (1368 Posts), Sat Sep 11, 2004 03:32 pm

Nora,

I'm an EELP teacher (Early Exceptional Learning Program teacher)
My students are between the ages of 3 and 5. When will your child
turn 5? Once they turn 5 they "age out" but they will allow him to
remain and finish off the year depending on his birthday.I agree with Hannah's mom. You should def. contact your
district. I'm sure you qualify for more than one program. Let me
know how it goes.

Gloria mom to Josiah 11/12/03- 12/4/03 @ 26wks pre e
Moderator- Foro Latino
Future Adoptive Mom
josiah1112

Previous

Return to Grief and Loss