Post Reply FAQ Members Login

New Cemetery Rules

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support

Re : New Cemetery Rules

Postby meljoi » Sat Sep 18, 2004 06:17 am

by meljoi (510 Posts), Sat Sep 18, 2004 06:17 am

Julie-
just wanted to send you love and support.
I can only imagine the horror that you, as well as the other parents must have experienced walking in there and seeing all those precious little treasures removed. I would think in this special area, the rules could be bent. Write from your heart, like I know you will-good luck hon.

Melissa Joi 32
DH Jeremy 43
mama to Peyton John 12/04/00 (severe pre-e @ 38wks)
Baby Lucy due 11/26/04
see her photos!
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/l/lucys
meljoi

Postby akemt » Sat Sep 18, 2004 09:00 am

by akemt (4961 Posts), Sat Sep 18, 2004 09:00 am

How awful that must be. I sure hope they didn't just throw away all the momentos that they removed. I am very much in agreement that you should write a letter. I would not only send it to those in charge of the facility and grounds, but perhaps to a mayor (or some other government sort) and to the paper. They should know how decisions like this can affect others. I understand their desire for "beautification" but that doesn't necessarily mean it should win over a family's need to greive or comemorate in this way. The suggestion to get others on the bandwagon is good. Also, perhaps it is possible to make a compromise over the baby area. Maybe setting up some volunteers to clean/cut grass every now and then as well as a time and size limit on what is allowed?

And, if none of this works, perhaps it is time to set up a memorial site at your own home. I've heard that some plant trees in memory of their loved ones. Then you could make that your own private place where you go to remember and involve him in your life by way of pumpkins, balloons, etc.

Loving thoughts,

Catherine (23), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (28)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Lara Julianne (07/31/04) 38 weeks Borderline PIH
George the gallbladder (09/15/04) 6 1/2 weeks PP 15-20 small gallstones
akemt

Postby sweetiesuzy » Sat Sep 18, 2004 09:39 am

by sweetiesuzy (2404 Posts), Sat Sep 18, 2004 09:39 am

Oh Julie,

I am so sorry this has happened. I cannot believe the insensitivity displayed by the cemetary. I would encourage you to address it - call them, write a letter too. You have every right to have the need to grieve and honor your son. Isn't it ironic that a cemetary, the place where that should happen, has a rule like this. OUTRAGEOUS! I wonder if there is a law that states this - the right to grieve?

I am just so hurt for you and your husband. I hope you can find some resolve with all of this. Do you even know if they saved his things that were at his site?

Hugs,
Suzanna

DS 3/25/95
DD 10/26/01 stillbirth
DS 12/30/02
AND ~ Laura Elise 7/19/04
sweetiesuzy

Postby j betts » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:50 am

by j betts (65 Posts), Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:50 am

Julie,

I am so sorry that your precious keepsakes for Zach were removed. I think that you are doing the right thing with speaking up and complaining. I do understand that cemetaries do have rules, but they should comply with the concerns and needs of bereaved parents and families of loved ones. The cemetary where Mia's grave is, they do not have markers or headstones for the babies in "Babyland". It is unmarked. The only way to acknowledge them is to place special items/gifts there. Out of respect, I think your cemetary should allow you and others to be able to honor your baby(ies) and loved ones in this way.

Jacinta
Mommy to Mia Alexandra
12/23/02(stillborn @ 36 wks due to complete placental abruption, caused by severe PRE-E and HELLP SYNDROME)

Mia, "MY BUMPKIN"----
You complete me
You are my LIFE, my HEART and SOUL, forever...
my sweet, precious baby girl
I LOVE YOU!!!
j betts

Postby jenn » Sat Sep 18, 2004 05:08 pm

by jenn (2038 Posts), Sat Sep 18, 2004 05:08 pm

Julie,
Hugs of strength! I haven't read the others responses, but I'm sure I'm just an echo here- sorry for that.
But it's a topic I can't comprehend why.
It's like not being aloud to pray in church, or dance in a club...

a place of rest is sacred ground that I feel should hold no such rules.
And who has the right to make up such nonsense?
I'm so sorry for what emotions you must and are feeling.
Props to you for taking action and not letting this win without a darn good fight.
If there is anything I can do let me know.
If there were a petition you best bet my name would be at the top!
I send you, Andy and baby to be all my love and strength vibes as you fight for what is right.
Love you all, Jenn

Jennie (25)
Shad (29)
Jaidyn (3) @30 wks
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/

Natalia Rosse
Due: 11.25.04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nataliarosse/

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?Ucollid=182798555105&Uphotoid=588409555105&collid=182798555105
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby julie f » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:10 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:10 pm

Thanks so much for your support, I just love you guys to pieces![:X]

I'll let you know what kind of response I get. I don't know anyone else who has a loved one buried there but, by the way some of the babies' places used to be decorated, I can imagine that I won't be the only upset parent. I don't know if they still have Zach's things, I should've asked last week but, I was upset and didn't want to go in like a crazy woman... I will go in and ask this week when I am there.

I don't know, I don't expect the new rules to change. I guess writing the letter is more for my own peace of mind. Thanks so much for all your responses and your support in this. It makes me feel like I'm not a crazy person, no one else understands.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby space_coaster » Sun Sep 19, 2004 05:50 pm

by space_coaster (88 Posts), Sun Sep 19, 2004 05:50 pm

Julie, good luck -- I hope they have Zach's things stored somewhere for you. They have a right to change the rules but they should have given you fair warning. {{{Hugs}}}

Jocelyn (36)
Mommy to Michelle Elizabeth, 8/25-9/1/04, 24w1d, 1 lb 3 oz, severe PE/HELLP syndrome

Michelle's memorial page: http://www.geocities.com/jfiorello68
space_coaster

Postby denise » Sun Sep 19, 2004 06:44 pm

by denise (5480 Posts), Sun Sep 19, 2004 06:44 pm

I agree with Jocelyn...they should have given fair warning if they were going to do this. I am so sorry to have Zach's things be taken away and not being able to display his things. I'd be writing a letter too. I know a couple of the cemetaries here in our town have gone to this policy and people were pee-oed big time. One cemetary backed off, the the others didn't. Good luck to you with your letter! I hope you are able to get Zach's things back too.

{{HUGS}}

-------
Co-coordinator for WI
Denise (28)
Jason (32)
Ariana (16 months)-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP
TTC #2 starting in October!
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Postby annes » Mon Sep 20, 2004 08:16 am

by annes (2527 Posts), Mon Sep 20, 2004 08:16 am

Oh, Julie, that just makes me mad and sad at the same time! I cannot believe that the cemetary did not send you a notice to your home to inform you of the change, that is bad business and very inconsiderate, especially considering the business they are in! I would write a letter, expressing my displeasure and asking them to consider having special times in the children's section for decorations, like pumpkins, menorahs, christmas trees etc... Do they not put flags up for the veterans buried there on national holidays anymore? I wish that people gave more thought to their actions...

Anne
DH Richard
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby kdreher » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:50 am

by kdreher (2482 Posts), Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:50 am

I was so sorry for you Julie, when I read this. The cemetary where Tyler is buried is the same way, though I knew this up front. Tyler is buried with my grandmother (and now grandfather) and when he was buried with my grandmother (at her head) I was told that his name couldn't be on the headstone, since it is a 2 person plot. I was mad at first, but so happy my grandfather said to bury Tyler with "meyme" so he wouldn't be 'alone'. Tyler is buried in PA (that's where I was living) and I'm in CT now. My aunts visit the cemetary often so I know Tyler is taken care of. When my grandpop died in 2002, he told my dad that he got it worked out so Tyler's first name and 3/1995 could be added on to the headstone...he is now proudly memorialized with his two great grandparents.

Kris (35)
DH, Tom (34)
Tyler 3-9-95 to 3-23-95 (26 wks severe pe/HELLP)
Hoping for a little miracle in 2005! (after TR surgery in 2004)

tkstevens@sbcglobal.net or kstevens@cga.uscg.mil
kdreher

PreviousNext

Return to Grief and Loss