New/Reply FAQ Members Login

Does anyone else think docs were neglegent?

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support

Does anyone else think docs were neglegent?

Postby sarah2211 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 03:55 am

Hi if you read my post about losing my baby daughter at 7 months you willl know my story and the more I think about it the more i think the doc wasnt alert enough.
I was attending weekly cos of sever oedema and high bp, 2 days b4 i lost her I told him i was worried that I wasnt feeling much movement and he listened 4 a heartbeat and said it was normal for the baby to rest, but by the friday when i lost her I hadnt felt movement 4 a week!!
I had a +1 in my urine also, he just sent me home and 2 days later I wasnt convinced that her was right about the lack of movement and went to daycare where they couldnt find a heartbeat and i am convinced that if he had sent me for a trace or scan that maybe i would have had to deliver early but probably would have had her alive now.
Does anyone else feel kind of cheated by their health care?
One thing is for sure, next time I will be getting a new doc and I will be more alert with my symptoms, this was my first pregnancy. Next time I will also be more demanding about the amount of care i get, if i think there is something wrong I WILL get a scan etc no matter what it takes!
sarah2211

Re : Does anyone else think docs were neglegent?

Postby angelkat » Tue Nov 02, 2004 05:15 am

Sorry to have to welcome you to this part of the forum. Sorry for your loss.

Neglegent, cheated, robbed, and any other words you can think of usually decribes how feelings after the loss of a child.

What it does do is make us more aware of our bodies and if we go get pg again to be a pro active member in our own care.

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(14)PE 37 wks
Ky (12)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey - 34wks Born 7/29/04
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby heatherbbb » Tue Nov 02, 2004 09:19 am

Sarah,
I am so sorry about your loss! I felt like I received excellent care, but the pre-e and HELLP snuck up so fast there was not much we could do. I've read so many stories here at this forum and many make me think, "If only". If only the doctor ordered a 24 hour urine test or ordered a U/S or a stress test or admitted them to the hospital, or if only that women had taken her symptoms seriously and went to the hospital ... It's so easy to say in hindsight, especially when the symptoms for pre-e were there. It's frustrating how some doctors are very relaxed about these symptoms when others take them so seriously. I am being much more proactive with my care in this pregnancy as I think most women are who had severe pre-e, especially if they lost a child or had a long struggle in the NICU. I am so glad that you've decided to be your own advocate with your medical care in your next pregnancy. It's so hard to lose a baby and to grieve without the added resentment that there was a possibility that it could have been avoided. I pushed back my 26th week appointment by a few days and still to this day wonder if seeing the doctor earlier would have made a difference. I'll never know. I wish you the very best!

Heather (32)
Mother of Seth Russell, delivered 26 weeks due to PE/HELLP 9/3/03-2/13/04
http://members.cox.net/heatherbbb/seth/seth.htm
Due with Joshua Allen -scheduled C-section @ 39 weeks (about Jan 20, 2005), Protein C deficiency & Lupus Anticoagulant (2 Heparin shots/day since 14 weeks)
heatherbbb

Postby heather h » Tue Nov 02, 2004 02:30 pm

Sarah,

I feel like you had the exact same experience as I did. I stopped feeling movement and called my ob. They told me to eat a candy bar and drink a soda and count the heart beats. I said i wasnt comfortable with that and she said i could come in for a heart beat check.. so, i said yes, i'd be more comfortable with that. I also told her how swollen my feet and ankels were and how they hurt so bad.. I went in and they couldnt keep the heart beat to count it. The nurse asked me "if i was satisfied with that" and sent me home. Didnt take my blood pressure or anything. That was monday and by friday for my ultrasound , we found out he was gone. This was also our first pregnancy.
Needless to say, yes, i changed my doctor also, and I will be much more alert and if needed agressive with my next pregnancy.

Good luck with everything.. and im sorry that we all had to experience this. Goes to show doctors dont always know everything.
I really hope your next pregnancy goes well. Keep in touch cause I can definately relate.

Heather (25)

28weeks - Shane Andrew 4/25/04
"Our little angel who will always be loved and never be forgotten"
TTC #2 Lovenox Injections 80 mg 2x a day
heather h

Return to Grief and Loss