Post Reply FAQ Members Login

I'm back - again!

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

I'm back - again!

Postby midwestmom » Wed Aug 06, 2014 01:45 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm writing because I'm 15 weeks pregnant with my second child. My first was born at 29 weeks due to maternal indicators in 2009 - 5 years ago. So here I am again, I now have hypothyroidism which is being closely monitored by my endocrinologist and have seen my MFM a few times already.

If not for my MFM's encouragement, that the second time is usually less severe IF pre-e even comes back, I don't know if my husband and I would have tried again. Well, here we are, and I'm already concerned about something! My blood pressure is good - 110-115/70-75, but just a couple of days ago I started developing hand numbness when I wake up which goes away after shaking them awake, and I had severe carpal tunnel with my first pregnancy bc I was so swollen, and it's starting already! I'm trying not to think much of it, eat well, but besides that, I don't really think there's anything I can do but take the baby aspirin/prenantal/synthroid, monitor my bp, and keep my MFM and endo appointments.

I guess all I can do is bring it up at my next appointment. I JUST started the second trimester, I REALLY hope this is not a sign of future issues. It's going to be a looooong 2014!!!

Thanks for reading, Lauren :-)
Lauren
Son born by emergency C-section due to severe preeclampsia in August 2009. Born 29wks2days weighing 3lbs, he is a healthy toddler now.
midwestmom

Re: I'm back - again!

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed Aug 06, 2014 05:24 pm

Congrats!!!!! What exciting news! I'm keeping all crossables crossed for a very healthy and uneventful pregnancy. Here's hoping the numbness is just one of those strange symptoms that doesn't lead anywhere!

Keep posted as you're able!!

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby midwestmom » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:54 am

Thanks Lauren! I'll keep you posted as things happen. :-)
Lauren
Son born by emergency C-section due to severe preeclampsia in August 2009. Born 29wks2days weighing 3lbs, he is a healthy toddler now.
midwestmom

Postby tree » Sun Aug 10, 2014 05:01 am

Congrats! I hope this pregnancy is happy and healthy. Good luck!
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Aug 11, 2014 02:36 am

Good to see you back!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Pregnant Again?