What do contractions feel like?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
heather h

Re : What do contractions feel like?

Postby heather h » Sun Mar 19, 2006 08:42 pm

Emily,

I'm so glad you posted this question.. I was wondering the same thing. Though they say i've been getting them (showing up on my non stress tests), I havent "felt" them.. or at least I dont think I have. It's hard to say when Hayden pushes around in there, my stomach turns rock hard in the front too, so I have no idea weather it's him or an actual contraction.. I'm hoping that i'll know it when it really starts to matter...

melissam

Postby melissam » Sun Mar 19, 2006 03:25 pm

I belive that this early in the pregnancy a contraction will also feel like Menstural cramps. I don't feel my tummy tightening, but I do feel like I am about to start my period. Those are also contractions.

But the round ligament pain, for me, is a VERY SHARP shooting pain. When I first had them I could have sworn that my ovaries were going to burst.

emily_985

Postby emily_985 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:00 am

Thanks for the replies! I think I've been a worrywart ever since I had the bleeding. And I don't remember feeling crampy or having the round ligament pain as bad with my son. And after pe/hellp I don't trust myself or doctors/nurses to know when things are wrong.

Okay I need to relax. So glad I can post here [:)]

lyndsey

Postby lyndsey » Sun Mar 19, 2006 09:24 am

You can definitely feel when its a contraction. Your uterus will be hard as a rock and depending on whether you would have front or back labor, you will start to feel it pretty intensely in that area for at least a minute or two. I've never had a non-drug induced contraction so I don't know how different they are when they're natural vs. forced. I've had a LOT of round ligament pain this time around and it really feels like a stabbing, pulling pain when you stand up or move to quickly, lift something awkwardly, etc, and it goes away pretty quickly.

jwalker327

Postby jwalker327 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 08:12 am

Girl you'll know when it is contractions..lol...I don't remember my begining contractions cause I never feel them until my water breaks..but your tummy gets real hard and I remember having the feel almost like I couldn't catch my breath with some of them. Mine after my water broke were intense and felt like someone had my uterus and squeezing it so hard and it hurt so bad like a bad tummy ache. (( fyi: curling into a ball doesn't help..lol))

meg

Postby meg » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:18 pm

yes, it gets very hard all over when its a contraction. Sounds like you had ligament pain to me. A contractions feels like tightening and you can defiantly feel it hard when you touch it with your hands. It lasts like a minute or two and then stops...

emily_985

What do contractions feel like?

Postby emily_985 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:07 pm

I've never felt them and don't think I've felt braxton hicks and was just wondering if anyone could explain.

During this pregnancy I have had some cramping but I can't really tell if it's uterine or intestinal. Then today I had some sharp tight feeling pains that I think might have been round ligament pain.

Can you feel your uterus getting hard if your uterus is contracting? Because right now my stomach is just squishy- lol.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”