Restless Leg

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
mada

Re : Restless Leg

Postby mada » Mon Jun 05, 2006 07:56 pm

Okay, this is going to sound so weird, but we were just talking about this at the nurses station this week. A doc was there and says his patients swear by the following thing....when you go to bed put a bar of soap in a sock and tuck it under your sheet near your legs. when they start getting jumpy, place your leg ontop of the sock with the soap. Okay, I have no idea if this works but it's worth a shot!!!

jjohnston

Postby jjohnston » Mon Jun 05, 2006 06:03 pm

Rachel, looks like yet another thing we have in common! I have been suffering, and I mean suffering, with RLS in my arms AND legs for a month or so now and have read nearly everything there is out there on it, desperate to find some relief. I didn't' realize it was so common. Antihistamines definately make it worse, and vistaril (hydroxizine) is one, so yes, i'd say definately stay away from it. My doctor gave me vistaril thinking it would help and it was a nightmare! I also found out that the reason pregnant women get it is believed to be a lack of iron in a certain part of the brain. I started taking an extra iron supplement in the afternoon and have gotten a little relief. If you take iron at the same time as calcium, it may not be getting absorbed, so be sure to take them at different times. Caffeine seems to make it worse, so i'm enforcing a 3pm cut-off on all caffeine. I read that opiate drugs provide relief, so i have occasionally taken a Darvocet when its really bad, and always have relief from that. I hadn't heard of the CalmForte but its worth a try! I just told my husband today, if I wasn't already having my tubes tied after this pregnancy, this RLS would be enough to convince me to do so. Its almost as bad as the morning sickness!
Good luck to you, and let me know if you find something that works!

alimarie

Postby alimarie » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:08 pm

I deal with this way too frequently and I have found that eating at night....especially sugar makes my RLS torture! Also, way out in left field is a remedy my dad tried because he was so desperate....putting a bar of soap (unwrapped) under his sheets at the foot of the bed...or near your feet.....like I said, he was desperate and read this. He said it helped.....I have no clue why it would but when RLS is bad enough it is enough to drive you to try anything! Also, I have heard that peeing helps....and even crazier...drinking your own pee helps...I have NOT known anyone to try this....gee, I wonder why?????

Good luck....I hope it doesn't come to drinking that yucky stuff...haha

cmartin04

Postby cmartin04 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 06:41 pm

I started taking my CalMagD supplement before bed instead of in the morning and it seems to be helping.

jwalker327

Postby jwalker327 » Wed May 31, 2006 11:58 am

quote:Originally posted by spoonzoo

The bottle says to consult your Dr. I called my pedi and asked what their take on it was with breastfeeding, she said 'OK' - but I'm sure different Dr's might have different opinions!!!

Thank hun! I'll call my pedi to make sure!

spoonzoo

Postby spoonzoo » Wed May 31, 2006 11:45 am

quote:Originally posted by JWALKER327

On the Calms Forte is it ok during breastfeeding??

The bottle says to consult your Dr. I called my pedi and asked what their take on it was with breastfeeding, she said 'OK' - but I'm sure different Dr's might have different opinions!!!

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Wed May 31, 2006 10:01 am

Maybe just by chance, but slept like a babe (well at least the first half of the night) and did not take my hydroxyzine before going to bed. However, I woke up at 4 to go pee and couldn't go back to sleep because I was having BH contractions and I kept thinking about all the work I had to do once I got to work this morning. Ah!

Thanks Jenn! Maybe stopping the hydroxyzine will stop the RLS and lastnight wasn't a "I passed out from sheer exhaustion and was so tired I didn't notice the pins and needles in my legs". Fingers crossed, please, please, please!

jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby jenndola » Wed May 31, 2006 01:02 am

Aha! After much searching and trying to figure out why in the heck antihistamines would make RLS worse (it was just bugging me), I found this in a Medscape article: "The older, H1-blocking antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine, cross the blood-brain barrier, cause sedation, and may worsen symptoms of RLS. The H2 blockers, such as loratadine, do not cross the blood-brain barrier, do not cause sedation, and do not worsen symptoms of RLS."

So if your allergies are bad enough, you can check to see how your OB (peri?) feels about Claritin (or Zyrtec or Allegra, which would also be H2 blockers). Apparently that shouldn't aggravate RLS. Of course, that's in theory. I don't have RLS, so I can't vouch for it.

That doesn't solve the other part of the equation, which is not being able to sleep. All of the drug therapies I found weren't particularly compatible with pregnancy. I suppose if things get particularly hairy, you can always see how your doc feels about a prescription-strength sleeping aid. This is usually the last resort, when you're at the point that you're about to fall over from lack of sleep and it's healthier to give you the sleeping pill than it is to deprive you of sleep any longer. I know. Not really a fabulous answer.

I hope you find a solution. Staring at the ceiling for 4 hours does NOT sound like a good time!

jwalker327

Postby jwalker327 » Tue May 30, 2006 10:26 pm

Hey Rach,

I am glad you asked this question I have trouble sleeping at night and some nights take benyd. and it gives me a headache sometimes. I feel so tired but I find myself still up at 12am doing nothing some nights I lay awake in bed trying to sleep then by the time I do fall asleep the baby gets up!

On the Calms Forte is it ok during breastfeeding??

hayesmama

Postby hayesmama » Tue May 30, 2006 06:37 pm

Calms Forte is one of the only things my dh can use to get sleep when he needs help. The others all wind him up. Sorry to hear about your nighttime troubles!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”