Update.. 28wks and holding!

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
lucy

Re : Update.. 28wks and holding!

Postby lucy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:47 pm

28 wks is great, glad things are going ok.

jillmushet

Postby jillmushet » Thu Jun 08, 2006 06:58 pm

Glad to hear that things are going well! Hope you make the family vacation and have a great time!

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:29 am

quote:Originally posted by jjohnston

Anybody else on Synthroid or other thyroid meds? Is this thyroid deficiency something that usually goes away after pregnancy?

Hi I have been on thyroid meds since before my first pregnancy. My mom, her sis, and her cousin were on Synthroid for half their pregnancies. It usually takes me a few weeks after a T4 dose increase for me to start feeling better.

Thyroid requirements increase during pregnancy, so sometimes pregnancy can unmask a borderline thyroid problem. You will probably continue to need thyroid meds after this pregnancy, but your dose might decrease after the baby is born.

I have had to up my thyroid meds twice this pregnancy, and my doc wants me to decrease my dose within a couple days of delivery.

lyndsey

Postby lyndsey » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:07 am

Yay Jennifer! Thats great that you both are doing so well! My birthday is the 5th, but I guess the 4th will be alright.:) I'm really happy for you. Sounds like you and Melissa will both be pretty busy that week!

tracey

Postby tracey » Thu Jun 08, 2006 09:22 am

So glad to hear that things are going well for you. Hoping they continue that way for many weeks to come!

mom2tori

Postby mom2tori » Thu Jun 08, 2006 08:52 am

Glad to hear that things are going well for you. 28 weeks is great

melissam

Postby melissam » Thu Jun 08, 2006 06:02 am

Jennifer,

It sounds like the 3rd time is the charm for both of us. [:D] I am so glad to hear that things are going so well. I also have a c-section date of August 4. It sounds like a good day to have a baby to me. [;)]

Good luck with everything. I hope you are able to keep him in there and growing.

tommysmommy21004

Postby tommysmommy21004 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 03:16 am

It sounds like your doing pretty well, Jennifer! That's awesome! Try not to worry too much yet about Daniel's lung maturity. Tommy was a 34 week old boy and he did pretty well! You and Daniel are in my prayers for smooth ride til his birthday! (And beyond as well! :) )

jjohnston

Update.. 28wks and holding!

Postby jjohnston » Thu Jun 08, 2006 02:16 am

I'm now officially 28 weeks and no sign of PE yet! Whoohoo! I just found out that my thyroid hormones are low, so my doc is putting me on Synthroid. I'm relieved that there is something "fixable" going on to explain all this fatigue, and hopeful that i'll start feeling better soon. Anybody else on Synthroid or other thyroid meds? Is this thyroid deficiency something that usually goes away after pregnancy?

So far my blood pressures have been fine, but i do occasionally do have a little protein showing up on home test strips. I started testing once a day this week. Its usually trace or between trace and one, but a couple of times i've gotten a clear +1. I'm going to see my doc on Monday, but i was wondering if y'all think an occasional +1 warrants a phone call sooner. I tend to stay a little on the dehydrated side, so i'm thinking thats all it is.
Is it even possible to have proteinuria without elevated bp?

At my last appointment, Daniel weighed 2 lbs 6oz, and was growing at a rate of about 1/2 pound per week.. If that keeps up, he should be 7 pounds by 36 weeks! I'm so excited about the prospect of skipping the NICU this time and actually taking my baby home with me! My official due date is Sept 2, but my c-section is tentatively scheduled for August 4th, which is 36 weeks. I'm going to have an amniocentesis the day before to make sure Daniel's lungs are ready. If they're not, we wait another week. I asked my doc what the chances were that he'd be ready, and he said, "for a caucasian boy, only about 75%." That was a little discouraging, since my family will be driving 5-6 hours that day to be here for the delivery.. guess i'll tell them to wait on the phone call and drive all night.. ugh. Then my doc says there's always the likelihood that the baby is being stressed in utero like my other son was, which would make his lungs mature faster. Not sure what to hope for there. Can anybody else relate?

Considering my daughter died in utero at 26 weeks, my first son stopped growing at 28, and i'm usually at least borderline preeclamptic by 25, I think we're doing pretty good so far. We're planning to make a 9 hour drive to Destin, FL in two weeks for our annual family vacation at the beach, so hopefully our luck will hold out at least till then. I'll be taking my med records with me, just in case. I'll post again after my appointment Monday.. hopefully he'll still be growing!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”