newly PG and q's..:)

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

newly PG and q's..:)

Postby bethany » Sun Dec 28, 2003 08:32 pm

Hi ladies,
I am new here and boy I wish I had found this board with my first pregnancy.

Okay this may be legnthy, but here goes,
with my last pregnancy, I started having high Bp very early on, like 14 weeks, I had terrible swelling despite a reduction of salt, and terrible headaches. Well later in my Pregnancy all this continued to get worse, swelling, headaches, bright spots in my vision, BP of 145/90. My doctor did NOT seem to care, though it was very rough for me. AT 38 weeks, I tested my BP while I was out at a store and it was 178/126 so I went to the hospital, where a different doctor decided to induce. She was VERy upset that my regular doctor seemed to care less about this. ANywho, I did have preeclampsia.

Now to my questions, After having preeclampsia with my first baby, am I more likely to have it with this pregnancy? I already have borderline high BP (runs in the family) that started to show after my son.
Also, the gap betwee prenancys is only 9 months, and I was overweight to begin with, and I have yet to lose some of the weight from my first PG, would that have any bearing on my second Pregnancy?

Also any advice you have about selecting a doctor, whether I should see an OB or just a family doc. I just want someone that knows what they are doing and knows the signs and will take them seriously.
Sorry if this is long, TIA for reading this far .:)
bethany

Re : newly PG and q's..:)

Postby akemt » Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:57 pm

Bethany, I answered in the "ask the experienced" section but thought I'd welcome you in this forum as well! Keep us updated! (and what's your edd again?)

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby bethany » Mon Dec 29, 2003 04:51 am

EDD so far is 9-1-04! I am so excited!
bethany

Postby meg hanrahan » Fri Jan 09, 2004 09:38 am

Bethany

My first advice would be to find a doctor who knows the symptoms of PE and will take your concerns seriously. I had severe pe during my first pregnancy. My BP went up right at my 20th week and my doctors had all sorts of tests run to see if I had pe. No other symptoms appeared and the tests came back negtive. Each month they ran the tests because my BP was still high (130/90), (I was also going in every two weeks instead of monthly for check-ups) but again all came back negative. Despite this, my doctors had me limit my activities and rest as much as I could. At 34 weeks, the severe pe reared and I was admitted to the hospital and induced. I am now pregnant with my second child and stayed with the same ob/gyn practice because they were so active in monitoring my condition previously. They have me taking one children's aspirin daily with the pre-natal vitamin. They watch my BP very closely - it was high at my 16-wk check-up and they ran lots of tests again, including a 24-hour urine collection. Since then, however, my BP has been normal and even low (108/66 on 1/5/04). I am now at my 25th week and although I always have the fear of pe on my mind, I am relaxed knowing that I have such great doctors watching out for me. I did not lose all the weight from my first pregnancy and am also a bit overweight. I am 37 - so fall into the older mother category. My family also has a history of high BP. I'm not saying that you definitely aren't going to get pe, but your odds of getting it are only slightly higher than if you've never had it before. The key, though, is to get a doctor who understands your history and will watch for any slight changes/questionable signs.

Meg
Isabella (11/11/02 @ 34 wks, severe pe)
meg hanrahan

Postby mada » Fri Jan 09, 2004 02:02 pm

Hey Meg, glad to hear oyur low bp's!! That's great. Bethany, I would seek out a perinatlogist, high risk OB, and request your chart from your previous doc so they may review it. With proper care, you have a great chance of a "better" pregnancy, and the support of a doctor who listens.

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Return to Pregnant Again?