VBAC vs. C-section

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
heatedheart

Re : VBAC vs. C-section

Postby heatedheart » Mon Dec 10, 637668 2:13 pm

Thanks for all your postes...I really like your quote Catherine..."plan the dive, dive the plan" you can apply that to soo many aspects of your life.

I'm wondering if you do decided to opt for a C-section, do they let you go into labour first, or is it a scheduled C-section? My first was an emergency so I'm not firmiliar with how they would handle it. [:I]

heather renee

Postby heather renee » Fri Nov 30, 637668 3:17 am

This was my first time in labor. I had been having contractions for several days. My water broke and contractions started coming more often. I headed to the hospital. The baby was born about 22 hours after my water broke. I didn't have any pain medication, as I had read several places that it can slow things down. I knew there was a limit as to how long they would let things go because of the previous c-sections. The doctors had also said they would not use any kind of medication to help labor progress so I was pretty much on my own. They did have me hooked up to the monitors the whole time because of the previous c-sections, they had new ones that could be worn while you walk around. It was good to be able to get out of bed. I also had to have an IV the whole time.

meezermom

Postby meezermom » Thu Nov 29, 637668 1:55 pm

Congrats on your pregnancy! I agree with Caryn....

I have had two previous c-sections and at first I was wanting this third one to be VBAC but I too have been advised not to try it due to the complications of hemoraging or uterin rupture plus the idea of getting my tubes tied is in the picture, so I am leaning to the scheduled c-section.

Now, both of my c-sections were not elective or emergency. I had PE with my first pregnancy and due to lack of progression at 8cm and 18 hrs of labor they gave up on me and something about the fact that I was also on mag sulfate... i wanted a VBAC with my second but I failed to progress on that as well after 28 hrs and up to 4 cm both pregnancies were assisted with pitocin.

I was told that if you wanted to try a VBAC, do it without being induced and go into labor yourself, because the pitocin will make your contractions harder and much more 'rough' than it would be naturally and you dont run as much risk of uterin rupture across your incision.

Heather- how was labor with having two previous c-sections? Did the docs monitor you much closer because of the fact of having the c-sections before?

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Sun Nov 18, 637668 12:05 pm

Alisha, great plan to get started so early.

I wanted to go the VBAC route last time. My peri was ok with that provided I went into labor by myself. In the end I did just that.. except in a big, unanticipated hurry when my water broke at almost 35 weeks. I wasn't ready, DH certainly wasn't ready.... either in terms of a "refresher course" of what to anticipate, or emotionally in terms of having really talked it out and agreed to do it.

On the night... I bailed and opted for the C-section, didn't have my own peri available to come in etc. Ultimately, it proved to be the best decision because I had some scar-weakening issues that would have necessitated an emergency C-section rather than an urgent one. In sub-aqua/diving there's a hard and fast rule, "plan the dive, dive the plan". I think that belongs to VBACing too [;)][:D]

emily_985

Postby emily_985 » Sun Nov 18, 637668 11:26 am

Alisha,

Hi there! Congrats on your pregnancy :-) I'll be trying for a vbac this time but will have to go into labor naturally (no induction). I think about whether I'll go into labor all the time now that I'm getting closer to my due date- in addition to my worries about getting pree/hellp again so I'm there with ya!

Good luck in whatever choice you make [:D]

heather renee

Postby heather renee » Tue Nov 06, 637668 11:57 pm

From my own personal experience I would do as much research on your own before making a decision. Then find a doctor that will work with you and your decision. As mentioned earlier a lot of doctors will recommend you to have another c-section simply because of a 1-3% chance of a rupture. I felt that due to the fact that there was not anything wrong with me or the baby the risk was worth it. If there was anything wrong with either of us I would have had a c-section without thinking twice about it.

heatedheart

Postby heatedheart » Mon Nov 05, 637668 8:28 pm

Hi nborrayo

EDD is March 21/07. But since my last experience I am trying to get as much info. as possible. I tend to worry about things (too much). I know it is fairly far into the future, but time does fly, so I feel that the more I can learn from researching online, talking to my doc. and hearing others experiences...well then that will help in making a final decision, re: VBAC/C-section.

I've read a few articles online and I find some to have conflicting information?

nborrayo

Postby nborrayo » Sun Nov 04, 637668 10:25 pm

Hi,
I am planning on a VBAC and have researched it A LOT, so if you have any specific questions or concerns, I am pretty confident I can direct you to websites or studies.
There are a lot of Doctors out there that will tell you that you "have" to have a repeat c-section, but I recommend doing your own research.
When are you due?
Good luck!

amiejo

Postby amiejo » Thu Oct 25, 637668 11:07 pm

I have had 2 c-sections and both were emergancy. I have to say we had planned on a c-section anyway due to the bp issues I had and the risks my dr discussed with us about drugs, ruptures, etc. on top of bp. The fear with my dr was that since bp tends to rise during labor...it would rise to a level unsafe for me or baby and end up in an emergency section anyway.

I recovered fine with both sections but I can say that I was able to due minimal activity for 2 weeks after I came home due to family taking care of housework and kids. I was up walking with no pain after that...the pain I did have was after sleeping. The only time I felt really weak was when I took the pain meds.

Your dr will give you lots of specific info regarding you and the best decision.

heatedheart

Postby heatedheart » Thu Oct 25, 637668 10:22 am

Thanks caitlynsmama...I will definitely be discussing it with my doc. I am terrified of another C-section. The first and only one I had ended up splitting a little bit and I had to go on antibiotics. Of course part of it was my fault because I thought I was supermom. Ava ended up staying the hospital for two weeks and during that time, I was picking things up and pushing chairs that were quite heavy. As a result, I ended up back in the wheelchair for while. Took it easy for a few days and then it seemed to heal quite nicely. I really didn't think that a C-section was major surgery. Now I know...
You know I never thought about the fact that it would likely take longer to recover from subsequent C-sections...that in itself is scary to me. The first one was hard enough.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”