Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Postby ddchichi » Mon Jan 19, 2004 01:27 pm

ddchichi

Re : 210

Postby akemt » Mon Jan 19, 2004 01:36 pm

Deonne,

As I'm just starting pregnancy #2, I can't give much advice from actual experience. My advice to you would be to continue eating well and excersizing and make sure you are getting quality medical care. It sounds like you're doing all that. You are probably aware of the statistics of chronic hypertension turning into PE. It sounds like things are going very well for you and that your chances would probably be on the low side, though I am by no means a doctor. You might consider asking Laura (autiiq98 something...lol) to ask what other women felt was helpful in preventing PE in second pregnancies as one of the daily questions in the "ask the experienced" section. You should get a good number of responses from that. Are you pg now or considering it in the future?

Welcome! Catherine

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby suzanne » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:12 am

Hi, Deonne! I did have a second pregnancy free from PE and also had a VBAC, after severe PE and my son being born prematurely with the first pregnancy. The jury isn't out on this 3rd pregnancy, however, as it's early on and I am starting to have HBP. But for the 2nd, what I did differently than the first---much more rest (I was working full time during the first, lots of walking and commuting and stress), better diet (more protein), took baby aspiriin (all these things of course have to be okayed with a doctor!), took extra calcium and iron along with the prenatal vitamins), took my BP often, stayed off my feet a lot...and so on. My 2nd son was born at term, weighing 8lbs 2oz. I don't of course know what it was that worked the 2nd time, and am starting to wonder if it was just shear luck as this time doesn't seem to be going as smoothly.

Best wishes to you!!

Suzanne (37) and DH Tony (41) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby (due approx. 8/26/04!)
suzanne

Postby meg » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:54 am

I got PE at 35 weeks with my first and he was 5 lb 1 ounce and wonderful. I got pregnant again when he was just 8 months old. I had not BP probelms whatsoever with her and delivered a fullterm 8lb 12 ounce girl. I worked full time through both and was actually more physically active during the second pregnancy b/c I was chasing a toddler around. The main things I did different was that I went from being a vegitarian in the first pregnancy to a very high protein diet ( similar to the Brewer Diet) in the my second. I also took C and E supplements in the second in addition to my prenatal b/c I read an article in Parents magazine that research showed thoses helped prevent PE. SO I really have no idea actaully what made the difference in the second one.
Good luck to you!
meg

Return to Pregnant Again?