First OB appt.

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
lucy

Re : First OB appt.

Postby lucy » Sat Oct 07, 2006 07:37 pm

Glad you had a good appt and get an ultrasound soon. Keep us updated.

mommajo

Postby mommajo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 06:44 pm

Thank you for your responses. I've been reflecting about how confident I am in the care that I will be receiving. Right now I am confident that my OB will take care of me. This is the same doctor group I used for my last pregnancy and I ended up with a healthy baby and felt well cared for. If things progress towards PE I will demand that I see the Peri. Its so nice having this forum to vent, and bounce thoughts off of. I really appreciate you ladies.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Tue Oct 03, 2006 01:40 pm

Okay, so my perspective is a teeny bit different, but you need both to make a decision you're comfortable with. My ob (whom I began seeing following my PE/HELLP pregnancy) felt confident she could manage another pregnancy solo and that, if need be, she could refer me to a peri later. It didn't sit well with me and some girls here suggested the peri. Long story short...I met with the peri (on my own with no referral), found out I have a coagulation disorder, am taking baby aspirin, lovenox, and calcium, and I'm being seen biweekly with u/s every month after 20 weeks. None of this would have happened had I stayed with my ob, and I likely would have found out all too late that I did need a peri. I know my situation is unique, but I feel so much more at ease with this information in front of me. Best wishes with whatever decision you make, and congratulations on a good bp - it's exciting stuff!

mom2tori

Postby mom2tori » Mon Oct 02, 2006 09:52 pm

I am going to agree with other ladies. If you are completely confident in the care your current ob gives you then stay with that. If you are not sure, or have the slightest question in his judgement then ask for a referral to see a peri. No matter which way you go you need to feel that you are being taken care of in the best possible way and that your pregnancy is being managed by someone you trust.

Congrats on your bp

paige_va

Postby paige_va » Mon Oct 02, 2006 09:24 pm

Joanna,
The most important thing that I learned from my last experience with PE is that you have to have absolute trust in your choice of medical professionals, and if you're not sure about what they're doing, you need to ask the questions and demand the answers. I was much too passive last time, and only averted disaster by sheer happenstance. I don't intend for that to happen again. Please ensure that you and your baby get the care that you deserve. If you're questioning your doctor's judgement, maybe you should consider going to someone else.

akemt

Postby akemt » Mon Oct 02, 2006 09:21 pm

You know, in all honesty, it's totally up to you!

I didn't push for it in either of my pregnancies (there aren't any within 500 miles anyway), and my pregnancies both ended well. I then went for a preconception consult with an expert before this pregnancy. That was, IMO, very worthwhile and now that I'm expecting, I feel quite comfortable about my care in that arena.

I guess the question is: Do you feel comfortable with the level of care you are receiving and expect to receive from this doctor and his practice in the future?

Congratulations! And LOL at "it's too early for pre-e" bit at your first apt...Oy!

mommajo

First OB appt.

Postby mommajo » Mon Oct 02, 2006 09:05 pm

Well I thought I would share about how my first OB appt went on Friday. Foremost I was happy my BP was 135/82 which is normal for me as I have chronic high BP. I was afraid it would be higher than that and that I would need to start the BP meds right away which I had to do with my first pregnancy. My doctor says he will only prescribe them if my BP goes over the 140/90 mark (I am monitoring at home). He ordered a sonogram for 10-18-06 and I am happy that it will only be a couple of weeks before I get to see my little one. I find the sonograms very reassuring. I've been much more nauseas this time and I am already getting bigger in the belly so I am also curious to see if there are twins in there (run in the family). I asked about a referral to a peri or high risk doctor and my OB doesn't think I need to see one unless I start showing signs of PE, then he said my doctor group does have one that rotates around that I could see if I start going down that road. I was happy to hear there is one but not sure how to feel about being told I don't need to see him as I know from reading all the messages here that it is recommended for subsequent pregnancies after PE. I also asked about doing a 24 hour urine for a baseline and he said that was not necessay as PE can't be diagnosed this early (duh). I am ten weeks tomorrow, and I am due May 1st. This is a very experienced OB and he mentioned that he is currently treating two women who have PE and he has them in the hospital early. He says he will monitor me closely. So I guess I am wondering if I should be more pushy about seeing a peri or not? I was lucky enough to have a good outcome with PE last time, and made it to 36 weeks without much trouble compared to some of the stories I have seen here. What do you ladies think? (Sorry for the long message)

Return to “Pregnant Again?”