HELP! Third time and need a friend!

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

HELP! Third time and need a friend!

Postby moodymommy » Sat Jan 24, 2004 07:33 am

That sounded desperate didn't it? [:D]

Well I posted on the experienced board hoping I could get some answers to my questions regarding BP going up early in a pregnancy and after two previous pregnancies with Pre-E. I'm thinking that this forum might be a better place to post though. So, my post is included here but I'm editing it so that it's a bit shorter!
Thanks in advance for reading boy do I need someone to understand.

First, a little history: My first full pregnancy (I had an early miscarriage previously) ended at 37 wks after a three day stay in the hospital with pre-eclampsia and increased pressures. I was induced and had my sweet little boy naturally. While he was born with a rare disease - that was hereditary and I don't beleive he actually suffered any effects from the Pre-E. At five he has a rare disease that has taken a questionable amount of his vision, with glaucoma, he has siezures and is autistic and still has global developmental delays as well. he's my little ray of sunshine and his smile would melt pure ice.
My second full pregnancy ended in my 33rd week after a week in the hospital with pre-eclampsia. Increased pressures and horrendous headaches with some other stuff and I was induced. But my placenta abrupted because of eratic and high pressures (?) and my second son was delivered via emergency c-section. He spent two weeks in NICU and came home as a relatively healthy little guy. He has had a range of major developmental delays and mild PVL diagnosed but unconfirmed through second opinion. He still has speech and some motor delays and is three years old and an ornery little red-headed wonder if I do say so myself.
I am now 16 weeks into my third pregnancy and am pretty concerned - as this is considered a high-risk pregnancy already because of other health factors I have. My pressures have already risen - first by 20/10 points but at my appt with the neuro today they were up to 160/90 and finally lowered to 150/80 - which is still 30/10 higher than my normal (which is I guess no longer my normal during pregnancy huh?)
I don't understand why my pressures are already rising when I am not even midway through my pregnancy. Has this happened to others? What happened? How did your pregnancy end - pre-eclamptic - eclamptic? Did you have more severe problems because of early onset? I should mention they are thinking I might (BIG MIGHT) be having small siezures already at this point - but ongoing from before my pregnancy (just now being investigated and possibly diagnosed, testing starts next week ) - what role, if any, might this also have on further complications, does anyone know? And also , severe migraines with horrible secondary headaches constantly - is this a big deal? I heard even migraines are fairly common in first and second trimester of pregnancy.
Sorry so many questions but my OB said I am more than likely headed towards pre-eclampsia this time and I am scared.
Thanks and feel free to respond to the forum and/or to my email addy: moody_mommy@msn.com
Thanks for reading this!
Katrina

Mom to two special boys and baby #3 on the way.
moodymommy

Re : HELP! Third time and need a friend!

Postby catherine » Sat Jan 24, 2004 08:12 am

Hi Katerina and welcome to the forum. For starters, I'm not pregnant so so don't technically belong here and I did see your post on the Experienced. Be sure to check back there too, depending on the day of the week (weekends can be slow), I'm pretty sure that it will fill up with responses.

It sure sounds like you have many complicated medical issues to manage in addition to the prospect of preeclampsia. I can maybe help some, I'm anticipating that Laura will chip in (probably over on the experienced board) and give you a better answer. Often, preeclampsia can "unmask" the future prospect of hypertension in later life. So, before you get pregnant your BP is fine, the stress of pregnancy makes it go up and possibly you end up with preeclampsia. Afterwards it goes away (or doesn't in some circumstances), until the next time. As you get older you are getting closer to the hypertension you may be having in your middle and later years. Do your parents or any of your extended family have BP, or cardiovascular problems? That might be a sign of what may be to come. This time around, your pressures going up maybe relate more to this kind of hypertension, rather than an early start to preeclampsia. It is very rare for preeclampsia proper to show up before 20 weeks. This might be good, on another thread, folks have been discussing how much more willing OBs are to treat this kind of hypertension with meds, possibly extending your pregnancy. You will still be a greatly increased risk of having preeclampsia and so you will need to be carefully watched. I think that at this point, your neurological symptoms are probably best left to the neurologist to diagnose.

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1922
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1880

Start with these links, I hope they help. It sounds like your sweet boys leave you with a lot on your plate. Do take a break and come and post here. We'll want to know how you are getting on.

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)Preeclampsia & HELLP
Chloe (7/2/03)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/f/finngoosensprout
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby evansmom » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:07 am

Hi Katrina,
As Catherine said, it sounds like you may have more of a chronic hypertension thing going on. Has your doctor said anything about trying to control it with meds and/or bed rest (next to impossible w/2 little boys!)? I developed HBP @ 29 weeks during my last preg. They called it PIH then, but as it never resolved postpartum, I now have a dx of chronic HBP. I am sixteen weeks into preg. #2, and trying my darndest not to develop PE (I also put up a post asking how many people with chronic/early HBP went on to develop true pe). My doctor has prescribed meds (which I have been able to come off -maybe just for now - since my pressures are great), baby aspirin and calcium supplements. There is no guarantee any of these measures will prevent it, but we're giving it a try. You have some time to go in your current pregnancy, so I would think management of your hbp will be crucial to keep you and your baby healthy. As for the headaches -- I am also prone to them. Sometimes they also seem migrane-like. I usually try to see if a tylenol will help, or some rest. If they are unrelenting after a pain reliever and rest, then you should DEFINATELY consult your doctor.
I wish you lots of luck -- stay strong!

Lauren 27
DH Jeff
Evan 12-9-01 (PIH @ 29 weeks)
EDD 7-11-04
evansmom

Postby evansmom » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:09 am

Katrina -- I forgot to ask-- When is your due date? We are both 16 weeks!

Lauren 27
DH Jeff
EDD 7-11-04
evansmom

Postby moodymommy » Sat Jan 24, 2004 04:43 pm

Hey depending on which US you go by I am due either 7-7-04 or 7-10-04 - which either way puts me in the 16th week!
Thanks for the posts. I wasn't sure if it mattered which forum I posted in so I ki nd of double posted. My headaches are ongoing a nd don't respon d to tylenol or fiorecet except to sometimes lesson in intensity. LIke I have just a low-level h eadache now and took some tylenol - I still feel it but it doesn't hurt as bad. When I have a major headache and take a Fiorecet it knocks it down to th e level I would normally try a Tylenol with. Since nothing actually knocks it out I don't take them until I am just exhausted with dealing with it.
I saw a neuro for the first time Fri and he said he would like my OB to evaluate me for starting a drug called Endural - but I haven't seen it listed in the forums.He said it would help with the BP and with the migraines. He said if my pressures stay up he would want me on it period as I have possible other concerns now as well.
My doctor has been neurotic about me "taking it easy" just because he knows bedrest is close to impossible. Not only do I have two little boys - but my oldest is highly special needs. Not a good combination for bedrest and he knows it. The only problem with that is it is h ard to explain to others that "taking it easy" is like one step from bedrest and it pretty well means I can't do anything strenuous. Ugh.
At this point Tues is when I have an MRI and the following tues is when I have an EEG. I'm not overly st ressed about them - but hey - I am a little worried. That just makes me human right?
Th anks so much for the responses and the links for thigs t o look at - I will b e back!
Katrina

Mom to two special boys and baby #3 on the way.
moodymommy

Postby evansmom » Mon Jan 26, 2004 06:34 am

Katrina,
The medication I've taken for HBP, atenolol, is sometimes prescribed to help prevent migranes. Just another option for you to discuss with your MD. I hope you start feeling better!

Lauren 27
DH Jeff
EDD 7-11-04
evansmom

Postby akemt » Mon Jan 26, 2004 01:14 pm

It does sound like you have chronic/underlying hypertension since it has come on so early. The odds I've seen quoted by the experts here are 1 out of 4 will get superimposed preeclampsia. While your chances of not getting Pre-e are fair, superimposed preeclampsia is also quite dangerous and can be harder to diagnose so you'd have to be watched very carefully. The more easily your BP is controlled by meds, the more likely it seems you will have a good outcome. Many go through a pregnancy with chronic hypertension that is relatively normal (except for being watched closely and on BP meds). Have you been tested for any underlying risk factors for preeclampsia? Various Autoimmune disorders and clotting disorders. Many of the tests are the same tests ran for those who've had multiple miscarriages...since those things tested for can increase both your risk for m/c and your risk for preeclampsia.

I can give you links to some "ask the expert" responses, but am currently at a different computer and don't have them. Hopefully I can get back on tonight with our laptop and post those for you.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and please do spend some pamper time on yourself, like others have suggested. And let us know how things are going...we LOVE to be updated!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby 3preemiekidz » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:12 am

Katrina,
I saw your post and just wanted to respond to let you k now, I'm in the same sort of boat as you. After having pre-e 3 times, I already have had high blood pressures with this pregnancy and I am only 15 weeks. I've been told I have chronic hypertension but I know that is not the case as my pressures when not pregnant are 110/60. I almost had to fight with my Dr. during my last pregnancy to convince him that this only happens when I'm pregnant. I made it to 35 weeks with my first but with my second and third I only made it to 29 and 31 weeks. My pressures with them went up at about 18 weeks. This time around, they were high at 8 weeks so I guess we'll see what happens. I am currently on labetelol for pressures although I haven't been taking it lately as my pressures have come down again in the second trimester. I also on occasion take percocet for horrendous headaches. With my last pregnancy, I had a headache for a whole month before they finally induced me at which point, my headache went away and my pressure returned to normal. Although I don't have a special needs child, I do have 3 children and bedrest is not an option for me either. I guess we both just need to hope for the best but plan on getting pre-e again. If you ever want to talk, please feel free to email me. I'm due just a few weeks behind you.
mycrazyaddress @hotmail.com

Rebecca
Mom to Audri 3,
Ezra 2,
Liya 1
and #4 EDD 8/1/04
born at 35, 29 and 31 weeks due to Pre-e/HELLP
3preemiekidz

Return to Pregnant Again?