Update and Medication

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Update and Medication

Postby suzanne » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:05 am

Hi, everyone! I wrote an update a week or so ago but it somehow never showed up, so I will write another quick one! It will be quick as I am off to the doctors. I had an appt. last Friday. My BP there was about 140/90, how it's been running most of the time. The nurse did a wonderfully thorough appt., and said at that point she didn't think they would do anything in terms of medication unless the bottom # went over 100. (I am at 9 weeks, had severe PE with my first son, none with the second) However, my OB was out that day and she said she would talk to her when she got back. She got back today and the nurse called and said they probably do want to start me on BP medication, but wanted me to come in today for one more BP check and to decide for sure. My BP has been running a bit better at home (like 135/85 or so). Normal for me non-pregnant is 120/70.

SO, I am worried now about medication. I wonder if other women who are on it could let me know the type, the dosage, whether they have had side effects... or lead me to where that's already been covered here, as I bet it has, but I am feeling so flustered right now I haven't looked the right places!

It's hard going to these last minute appts. I had to call my DH at work to ask him to pick up the boys, and my drs. office is in the city where NO-ONE drives to (we are in the Boston area) so it's public transit to get there usually. I feel like all that is going to make my BP high when I get there...

Thanks for listening! Hope all are feeling good today...

Suzanne (37) and DH Tony (41) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby (due approx. 8/26/04!)
suzanne

Re : Update and Medication

Postby akemt » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:23 am

Suzanne,

There seems to be a fair number of ladies that are pg on here right now that are taking BP medications, hopefully they'll give you some response as to their dosages, etc.

Here is a link that I just found in the "ask the experts" section that discusses the most common types of BP meds used in pregnancy and their pros and cons:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1929

Hope it helps!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby catherine » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:33 am

I've nothing medical to offer here Suzanne, I just wanted to sympathize over the Boston traffic nightmare!!! I just to live in Brighton.. fortunately my OBs office was in Brookline so not so hard to get to from home. However, work was downtown at BUMC on Albany Street, a B-line and bus everyday UGHHHHHH!! I was due to deliver my son at the BI on April 20.... the day of the marathon. My OB suggested that I plan on joining the runners at the junction of Washington Street and Boylston and on being carried along with them down to the hospital[:D][:p], she couldn't think of anymore direct way to go!! In the end I had him a month early and it never came up!!! Can I also say, forget sitting down. While pregnant, I once observed a gentleman with not one but two prosthetic legs get on the B-line train at BU on Commonwealth Ave, and NOBODY got up to give the guy a seat!!! IF I'd been sitting I would have.

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)Preeclampsia & HELLP
Chloe (7/2/03)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/f/finngoosensprout
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:35 am

Come to think of it... I have no idea what my BP was that pregnancy... but it must have been really LOOOOOWWWWW [;)].

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby sherry fisher » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:03 am

Hi Suzanna
My BP's were in the range of yours. 150/90's. I was put on 100mg Labetalol 2 times a day. That did work up until I got into the middle of my second tri. Now I take 200mg twice a day. I actually take 100mg, 6 TID only about 1/2 hr from the first 100. Only because it drops too fast and makes me feel funny. Sometimes I can even get by with taking only that 100mg, and dont have to take the second. Just depends on what kind of day I am having. GOOD LUCK!!!! I guess everyones bod is different, so it will just depend on you!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
Pregnancy Updates, ultrasound pictures, and the countdown: http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish4/
sherry fisher

Postby evansmom » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:10 am

Hi Suzanna, I've been on meds since 29 weeks into preg #1. At the time, my OB figured I had PIH and gave me an Rx for Aldomet 500mg 2x/day. It didn't control my BP all that well, except when I laid on my left side (my non-resting BPs were 150-170/90-100). 3 months postpartum, my dx was changed to chronic hypertension. I was on 3 different meds before they found the right one for me -- atenolol. Originally I was on 50mg, but was able to wean down to 25mg about one year ago. When I found out I was preg w/#2, I freaked out! I was on atenolol, a class D drug. Thank goodness I found this site and the wonderful ladies who have had a positive experience on atenolol. My ob took me off my meds about 10 days ago (I've had the second trimester drop in bp), but says he will put me back on meds if necessary (he prefers labetolol or propranolol, but has not totally ruled out atenolol). I won't hesitate to go back if necessary. I hope your OB finds a safe drug that will work for you. Good luck, and keep us updated!

Lauren 27
DH Jeff
Evan 12-9-01 (PIH @ 29 weeks)
EDD 7-11-04
evansmom

Postby deerhart » Tue Jan 27, 2004 02:48 pm

quote:
While pregnant, I once observed a gentleman with not one but two prosthetic legs get on the B-line train at BU on Commonwealth Ave, and NOBODY got up to give the guy a seat!!! IF I'd been sitting I would have.

Might I point out that being pregnant someone SHOULD have given their seat up to you as well!

That is one thing I should brag on my husband about, he's very good at doing the little things like that.

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby suzanne » Wed Jan 28, 2004 06:54 am

Thanks to all for your support! The drs. appt. yesterday was a little frustrating. My BP there was actually lower than it had been the last time and lower than it had been running at home, 122/80. So the nurse and dr. decided to hold off a week on medication. They ran lots of blood tests, and tested my urine (no protein!) and want me back on Feb 4th. If the lower number goes over 94 (my highest read to date) when I test at home, I should call right away. This morning it was back up to 144/88. I appreciate the info on BP types and doses!

It was fun to hear about your traffic woes in Boston, Catherine! I grew up in Maine, and it's taken the 15 years I've lived here now to get so I can pretty much drive a lot of places---but not on the highway, and not into the downtown! I know just what you mean about people on the T not giving up seats. With my first two, it happened SO often that I would be standing when hugely pregnant! Usually when someone DID give me a seat, it was the last person you would expect---oftentimes someone who looked like a potential mugger! Delivering at BI on marathon day would certainly have been a nightmare---glad you avoided that!! I had both my boys at BI and will have this one there too.

Hope all of you have a great and low BP day!

Suzanne (37) and DH Tony (41) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby (due approx. 8/26/04!)
suzanne

Postby taras mom » Wed Jan 28, 2004 07:34 pm

Suzanne, I've been on lisinopril 10 mg BID, atenolol 100 mg, and nifedipine 30 mg for quite a while, and I've never had any side effects. If I forget to take the atenolol in the morning, by evening my pulse is noticeably higher, but that's all.

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby catherine » Wed Jan 28, 2004 08:21 pm

I know it's frustrating when your body won't show off for the MDs.. sort of like a toddler that won't say hi when they've been chatting up a storm not moments before [:p]. I just have to say, the BI is a wonderful place to have a baby. I thought they were great. Admittedly almost 7 years since I was there but the nursing care in L&D and ante/post partum is really superb.

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Pregnant Again?