HELP! --VERY OFF TOPIC

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

HELP! --VERY OFF TOPIC

Postby bonnie » Thu Jan 29, 2004 01:33 pm

Okay, I am hoping someone might be able to help me. . . I haven't told my dh yet.

In November, my dh and I had to get immunized b/c we are currently in the greencard process and we don't have our records from when we were kids. So, long story short, we got vaccinated against all the things our kids do. The dr who did it, asked if I was preggo. I said "no" and he said, you can get the shot, but can't get preggo for at least 3 cycles. I thought, "NO problem", my rheumy and peri told me to wait until the spring until my current issues are under control, so not a problem at all.

Well, here we are Jan 29 and I am late. Only two days so far, but I am on "the pill". Can I be preggo? If so, what will happen since it is "too early". I am FREAKING out to say the least, and I don't know where else to turn at this point. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on what I should do?? --also for those of you who got preggo on the pill, how did you explain it to your OVER ANALYTICAL dh??

PLEASE HELP!

Yoni's ima

Yonatan 7/10/2002 (35 weeks PE)
bonnie
Forum Moderator

Re : HELP! --VERY OFF TOPIC

Postby akemt » Thu Jan 29, 2004 01:42 pm

Bonnie,

Have you taken a home pregnancy test yet? I would suggest calling the doctor's office, tell them what's up and ask to be checked out. They should be able to tell you if you're pg or not and what affects the immunizations may have on a developing fetus. Try not to stress TOO much untill you know more!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby catherine » Thu Jan 29, 2004 01:43 pm

OH BONNIE!!!! Well, you might be where I was this time last year. I didn't even realise that I was possibly pregnant because I was still nursing and didn't know when cycle should be hitting. I remember worrying on my anniversary where AF was (12/24) then didn't think about it again until 01/06 when I was back at work and the first thing that happened was that the pharmacy delivered (to my office.. how great it can be to work at a hospital) my BC.

DH took it very well, he knew that I was careful and hadn't missed any. Let's face it, if you don't have a guilty concience about playing "fast and loose" with scheduling, you still have a 2-5% chance of getting pregnant (numbers on the packaging are best interpreted as between 2 and 5 per 100 women will become pregnant while taking the pill correctly in a single year. So the statistics may have just gotten you.

If you are like me (green card grad) you had all those childhood illnesses and were already immune, you just didn't have the paperwork to prove it. Chances are all the vaccines (live attenuated) were cleared from your system long ago and are unlikely to hurt an embryo if that is what you are cooking.

You guys are obviously planning to do the "baby dance" again, maybe it just turns out to be sooner rather than later. I'm really happy for you if you are [:)].

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)Preeclampsia & HELLP
Chloe (7/2/03)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/f/finngoosensprout
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby laura » Thu Jan 29, 2004 01:44 pm

Bonnie- don't torture yourself!
Drop everything right this minute and go get a home pregnancy test and find out if you are pregnant before you do anything else. Walmart's equate brand is supposed to be very sensitive, and I personally like EPT's.

Will check to see if there's any info on immunizations and pg right now.

Hang in there!

Laura-28
DH Jack-31
Alicia 5-13-98 (35 weeks-severe PE)
Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby bonnie » Thu Jan 29, 2004 01:51 pm

Thanks! I am going to wait another day (I can't get to the drugstore to buy a test, I am babysitting my neighbour's daughter).

Catherine, I KNOW that I had all the vaccines or illnesses themselves, but we didn't have the paperwork, just like you said. It was frustrating, especially b/c we have to deal with 2 other bureaucracies too (US, CAN and Israel). I feel like the greencard thing is never going to end!

I'll take the test over the weekend and prep dh. We were hoping to get the "ok" in the late spring. If we ++ then, I don't know how I am going to feel. I keep having horrible dreams of my preg (as I've eluded to in the past I am petrified of being preggo again) but know it will be fine once again. I'll let you all know the outcome over the weekend.

Thanks for listening!

Yoni's ima

bonnie
Forum Moderator

Postby laura » Thu Jan 29, 2004 01:53 pm

It sounds like the risk is theoretical with NO documented adverse effects, so any live virus vaccines are contraindicated during pregnancy out of the theoretical risk they could pass the virus on to the baby. Whew!
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030715/299.html

Now, go get that test [:)]

Laura-28
DH Jack-31
Alicia 5-13-98 (35 weeks-severe PE)
Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby bonnie » Thu Jan 29, 2004 02:01 pm

Thanks Laura. I knew that I could count on you all to help me through this! I may call my dh and ask him to pick up a test on his way home from work. I have two sleeping kids right now (and only 1 car seat [;)]) so it's not possible to head out. Although the curiosity is killing the cat!!!

You'll be amongst the first to know [:D].

Yoni's ima

bonnie
Forum Moderator

Postby twolfgram » Thu Jan 29, 2004 02:12 pm

[quote]Originally posted by bonnie

Thanks Laura. I knew that I could count on you all to help me through this! I may call my dh and ask him to pick up a test on his way home from work. I have two sleeping kids right now (and only 1 car seat [;)]) so it's not possible to head out. Although the curiosity is killing the cat!!!

You'll be amongst the first to know [:D].

Yoni's ima

Well, that would be one way to prep the DH!! [;)] Seriously, good luck no matter what happens. It could be stress causing you to be late. That happened to me the month after I got married. I think I missed it totally, even being on the pill!

Therese Mom to
Jonathan - born 10/4/95 at 28 weeks due to HELLP
Angel in Heaven - Erik 12/20/02 due to placental abruption
And "Baby dot" - EDD 9/11/04!
twolfgram

Postby mada » Thu Jan 29, 2004 03:40 pm

Hey Bonnie,
Well, I got prego on the pill with Ben when Sam was only 7 months!! I was in total shock. I didn't even know for a while becaue I thought maybe my cycle was adjusting to the pill...Well my hubby was cooking fishsticks in the microwave and I barfed everywhere and that's when I was like oh no!! I was 8 weeks and 5 days when I had theu/s to see just how prego I was[:p]. Anyway, Ben is a blessing and if you are prego we are all here for you!!! Can't wait to find out!!!!

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby paljane8 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 05:06 pm

Bonnie,

I'll go get it for you! [:D] The curiosity is killing my cat too!!!!

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Next

Return to Pregnant Again?