Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Chance of PE again w/chronic hypertension?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Chance of PE again w/chronic hypertension?

Postby sandy » Mon Feb 09, 2004 03:54 pm

by sandy (1138 Posts), Mon Feb 09, 2004 03:54 pm

Hello! (I just posted in "Ask the Experienced" and the helpful moderator mentioned that there are a few here with chronic HBP, so I'm posting here, too.)

I've read much discussion here of questions asking what the chances of developing PE again w/subsequent pregnancies are. Taking everything into consideration, from what I've read I'd say the quick answer is "50/50". Here's a similar question, a little more detailed:

Does anyone know what the chances are of developing PE again with a subsequent pregnancy when the mother has chronic hypertension (controlled w/meds, of course)? Does anyone out there have chronic hypertension, having had PE with a pregnancy...and have gotten it again? Curious to know if the odds have been different for those w/the chronic BP factor.

(I have chronic hypertension; developed in my early 20's...have been through tons of tests, no doctors can tell me why; reason is not weight/diet/activity level, kidney disease has been ruled out...my first and only little one was born June '03 at 35 weeks and 1 day due to severe PE which started as mild PE around week 25. Her lung collapsed after birth but after a NICU stay it recovered and she finally came home. We're well now. Getting ready to try for #2 in the near future...)

Looking forward to that NEJM publishing on Thursday!
Thank you,
Sandy.
sandy

Re : Chance of PE again w/chronic hypertension?

Postby akemt » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:25 am

by akemt (4961 Posts), Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:25 am

Sandy! Welcome to the pregnant again forum. Hopefully some of our regulars will start to give input soon.

I did find a link about chronic hypertension and the odds of getting preeclampsia in the "ask the experts" forum:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98

Have a great day!

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby twolfgram » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:31 am

by twolfgram (388 Posts), Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:31 am

Hi Sandy,

I have chronic hypertension, although I believe mine is weight related [:(]. I had HELLP with my first and an abruption with my second. My second was going along beautifully, the only thing I could complain about was some swelling in my hands. My BP was very well controlled on Aldomet and I felt great! After the losing Erik and the abruption I had a zillion blood tests and was found to be positive for the MTHFR gene mutation. I am now 9 weeks along with my third and am on lovenox BID. I'm not sure if that answers your question, I didn't have PE with my second, so I guess it does. Good luck when you decide to try again!

Therese Mom to
Jonathan - born 10/4/95 at 28 weeks due to HELLP
Angel in Heaven - Erik 12/20/02 due to placental abruption
And "Baby dot" - EDD 9/11/04!
twolfgram

Postby sandy » Tue Feb 10, 2004 04:27 pm

by sandy (1138 Posts), Tue Feb 10, 2004 04:27 pm

Thanks, you two. Congratulations on your current pregnancies. :)
sandy

Postby evansmom » Wed Feb 11, 2004 05:47 am

by evansmom (144 Posts), Wed Feb 11, 2004 05:47 am

Hi Sandy, I've had chronic HBP since my last pregnancy when I was only 25 (never developed pe, at the time they dx PIH). Like you, my doctor could not find an underlying cause. I was VERY concerned with this pregnancy, as I new there was a greater risk of "superimposed" preeclampsia. My doctor made me feel a little better when he informed me that the severity of your bp before preg. can influence your chance of developing pe. In other words, if you had mild to moderate HBP that was well controlled with meds before preg. and no other complications such as kidney damage, your chance for a good outcome is high. There are some controversial and unproven measures that some OBs recommend (as mine did) like baby aspirin and calcium supplements. Although I'm only 18 weeks, so far this pregnancy has gone much more smoothly than my first (Knock on Wood)[:I]. I hope this info helps. Good luck!!

Lauren 27
DH Jeff
Evan 12-9-01 (PIH @ 29 weeks)
EDD 7-11-04
evansmom

Postby angelkat » Wed Feb 11, 2004 06:11 am

by angelkat (3423 Posts), Wed Feb 11, 2004 06:11 am

Hi there.....
I'm a chronic HTN'er... It all started 13 years ago with my first preg with PE was just starting and I dilv at 37 weeks at the first sight of protein being spilled. I have been on BP meds since. The second peg was fine and PE showed up around 35 weeks with dilv I was fine. Being preg with Katlyne PE hit fast at 25 weeks with no way to by time we had to have an emerg c-sec to get her out. We are currently preg with our 4th child (2nd together) and taking it day by day. My peri our wonderful,caring and understanding. I'm currently still allowed to work (will have to give it up soon - I HOPE LOL) and have a some what normal life. As for chances of it happening again... I really do not know. All I can do it pray it doesn't hit this time......
Sorry, this did not answer your question.....

Hugs
~T

Mommy to
Drew(13)
Ky (11)
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03) and little bud (Due 09/11/04)http://www.forevernetwork.com/Archive/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=%2FArchives%2FMountHope&CFID=1089289&CFTOKEN=79068509
angelkat

Postby annes » Wed Feb 11, 2004 07:53 am

by annes (2527 Posts), Wed Feb 11, 2004 07:53 am

This is a very interesting topic to me, because I have Chronic HBP which is treated very well with meds, and because of having severe Pre-e with my first pregnancy, my DH and I have been throwing around the idea of not having another pregnancy. Of course, we haven't gone to the Perinatologist yet. (Parker is only 7 months, so the idea of being pregnant again is not too attractive, the first pregancy is still to fresh!)I have a Dr.'s appointment coming up and am looking to get a referral for a perinatologist. My peri moved to the Atlanta area, and is wonderful! If any of you in that area need a wonderful smart Dr., who saved my life and Parker's let me know! Anyway, longwinded way to say, it is nice that there is hope for a successful second pregnancy, thanks for sharing![:I]

Anne
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks
annes
Forum Moderator

Return to Pregnant Again?