Should I worry?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
dana55

Re : Should I worry?

Postby dana55 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 04:20 pm

Yeah, I am thinking I will call next week and get an appointment if I am not feeling 100%, just for reassurance.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Mon Apr 09, 2007 07:08 pm

That's actually good that you've seen the second trimester dip; some women who go on to develop PE never see the drop, but a steady rise like what you mentioned in your first pregnancy - so that's reassuring. I know mine dropped to the 90s/50s in the second trimester, and by the end I was hovering around 130/80. Swelling in general isn't cause for major concern unless it is sudden and extreme or in your hands/face. Maybe you could ask your OB if you could come in more frequently (just for your peace of mind) if it would help you feel that things are being monitored more closely. I made that request to my own docs and was no problem for them to oblige! Best wishes for a few more weeks of growing baby!

dana55

Postby dana55 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 05:34 pm

My bp has been 98/60 througout pregnancy. Normally it is like 110/70 to 130/80 ... so I guess I am right about where I am normally (a little reassuring). Dr said the rise was okay and to be expected in third trimester. I forgot about the dip, which I have read about. I did not have it last time and had a steady rise. I was very swollen with last pregnancy, and am only a little swollen the past week.

I see an OB/GYN.

My last visit was 4 weeks ago.

I will be back to her in 2 weeks. I kind of feel like that is a long time.

mommajo

Postby mommajo » Mon Apr 09, 2007 04:45 pm

You should request blood work in addition to the 24 hour urine as well. At least a CBC, and liver panel.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Mon Apr 09, 2007 04:20 pm

Hi, Dana! Congratulations on your pregnancy and welcome! First, are you seeing an OB or a peri? If you're not seeing a peri, it may be a good idea to get a referral to one given your history. As for your readings...you said your baseline is 98/60. Is this when you're not pregnant? Or is this what is has been running? I'm asking because many women experience what is called a "second trimester dip" in bp. As the second trimester ends and the third begins, bp usually returns back to a higher reading. If this is NOT the case, then I would definitely bring it to my practitioner's attention. Also, you mentioned a 22 lb weight gain between visits...how often are you seeing your doctor? That sounds like a significant amount, and coupled with the increased bps, I would be inclined to have my doctor check some things out. If you haven't already, you may want to request a 24 hr urine sample. If this truly is pih, there isn't really anything that can be done to "stop" it, but hopefully it is not. Please do update with any changes, and welcome again!

dana55

Should I worry?

Postby dana55 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 04:07 pm

I am a little worried. I am 33 weeks today and my BP was 120/80... my base line is 98/60. According to the Website an increase of 20 or more is to be concerned. Also I gained 22 lbs since last appointment without changing eating or exercise.

DS just turned 3 and was induced at 36 weeks due to preeclampsia. I was GD with him, but am not this time. I also started pregnancy 30 lbs lighter and in better shapes this time.

I feel like my doctor is too relaxed. Should I be more concerned? I really really don't want to be early or induced. DS had many problems at birth... cord around neck, blood incompatibility. I don't want to go through it all again.

Any advice, or should I relax and wait to see what happens? I feel like it is all starting again, and it can go downhill so quickly. Am I kidding myself to think it will be okay this time?

I am considering trying acupuncture and see a few posts regarding it. Anything to help me relax and keep BP low.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”