high pulse - question?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
mermaid

Re : high pulse - question?

Postby mermaid » Mon Apr 03, 637989 7:42 am

i just noticed at my hema appt the other day that my pulse was 110 and my bp was 120/84...i go to my high risk ob today and will ask him as well why i feel so winded easily and like my pulse is racing-of course i think mine is 10x worse b/c my "all day sickness" is just so out of control. i have no relief from nausea day or night, and am going to inquire about RX as well!

julie f

Postby julie f » Thu Mar 23, 637989 1:12 pm

Trish,

I feel for you because when my pulse starts to race (during pregnancy and not), I just feel generally bleck...

If in your shoes, I'd definitely mention it to your doctor. I do think that a slight increase in pulse is to be expected with pregnancy, like Michelle said - your blood volume increases and your heart is pumping more. In some cases though, it can be something they want to try and control. From my personal experience, I was medicated because my cardiac output increased too much with pregnancy, taking my pulse along for the ride. My peri liked to see my pulse below 90, ideally in the high 70s/low80s.

It seems to be different for all women/all doctors though so I'd definitely get your doctor's take on it.

Let us know.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Wed Mar 22, 637989 8:42 pm

Thanks ladies. I don't still have records of my pulse before pregnancy but going back through the past month or so it's never below 80 and usually 85-90 (or more) I was working out 4-5 days a week and sometimes with a trainer but now I get winded just walking around the grocery store!

amyk

Postby amyk » Sat Mar 11, 637989 6:12 pm

I'd just like to add that my pulse is always high also. When I was about where you are I could rarely get my pulse to dip below 100 bpm. I remember going to the neurologist's office and the nurse commenting that my pulse was 128. Anyway, now that I am farther along, it's actually starting to dip some and I can sometimes get readings in the 80's. Like Michelle, I was told about the increase being due to the heart working to pump that extra blood. Neither the peri nor my OB has never been bothered by it, but it might be worth mentioning at your next appt, especially if you're troubled by it.

mama2twins

Postby mama2twins » Wed Mar 01, 637989 7:48 am

Normal resting heart rate is 60-100 beat per minute. My heart rate outside of pregnancy is in the high 60's-low 70's. During pregnancy, my heart rate is anywhere from 75-95 and my OB and peri said this is normal since your heart is working harder and is pumping more blood. I find that my heart rate is higher in the early morning before I have had time to drink much water. I stop drinking in the early evening so I don't get up all night going to the bathroom, and I think I am a little dehydrated and that cause an increase in my heart rate.
I would speak to you OB about it just to be sure, but a small increase is normal.

mommyboo

Postby mommyboo » Wed Mar 01, 637989 5:54 am

I'm curious to see what others say about this as well. My pulse is constantly racing. At resting it can be 100+ but no one has ever said anything about it. I know when in the hospital, they would often confuse my pulse with the baby's heartbeat because my pulse was so high. I thought I had figured out the cause (hyperthyroidism) but my Dr. is saying my labs are normal and I have to wait to see the peri to see if he will run additional labs.

trish
Forum Moderator

high pulse - question?

Postby trish » Tue Feb 28, 637989 4:02 pm

I have a question about my pulse based on doing some reading on here. I am currently 19 weeks pregnant & have CHT that I'm taking 100 mg Labetalol 1 time a day to control. My BP ranges from about 120/74 to 135/85 as I monitor it from home 2-3 times a day (usually morning and evening - sometimes mid-day if it was high).

I have never really been told to watch my pulse & haven't been concerned until seeing postings on here about it. I rarely have a pulse below 80 & just had 90 *right* after waking from a nap. I can sweat, get light headed and break a pulse over 105 just shopping at Target (and using their BP/pulse monitor).

So what is the problem with a high pulse rate and what should I look for or be concerned about? Is this something I should mention to my Dr.? And what would having a high pulse indicate?

Thank you in advance ladies. :)

Return to “Pregnant Again?”