Zofran ?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
catherinesmom

Re : Zofran ?

Postby catherinesmom » Thu Apr 27, 637989 10:57 pm

I LOVED my zofran!! I have no idea of its effect on platelete and in ITP, but I declared zofran to be the 8th wonder of the world while I was on it for my 1st trimester nausea!!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Sat Apr 15, 637989 8:24 pm

Reglan is also a prescription drug; it's a category B drug so I felt comfortable taking it during pregnancy as needed. You could put a call in and ask about it; some folks it helps and some need the bigger guns (ie zofran). It's hard with another little one at home; mine was also 2.5 when I was pregnant with #2.

mermaid

Postby mermaid » Sat Apr 15, 637989 11:15 am

thanks so much for the replies ladies. my blood disorder is called ITP (low platelets) and my liver is highly sensitive to meds...hence, i've decided to not start the zofran yet and only use it if i become super desperate. i am nauseaus all day and gag/vomit up to 10x/day but most of my food is "staying down"..it's more dry heaving. i'm trying to just munch throughout the day and it's helping a tad. is reglan an RX you can get OTC? my new high risk ob was all business yesterday, i didnt spend as much time just chatting about my general health with him as i'd have liked, so i'm going to see him one more time then consider seeing his partner as well. my hema on the other hand-is fantastic and i see him in 3 weeks. i'm hopeful that i wont need the zofran but glad he gave me the RX just in case. i think the hardest part about this severe all day sickness is keeping up with my 2.5 yo and not letting him think of me as "sick" all the time-the other day he said "mommy, go got a boo boo mommy" as i was having one of my episodes!!!uhhh

sckitzo

Postby sckitzo » Sat Apr 15, 637989 8:48 am

I took reglan in both prenancies due to Hyperemesis. (severe Morning sickness times 100) It did not help me unless I had it through an IV (I could not keep the other down) I did not have any side effects, I also do not have and known disorders, (autoimmune, Bloodclotting)I am not sure how it effected my liver, b/c I got PE right as the HG stopped

jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby jenndola » Fri Apr 14, 637989 8:08 am

I took Zofran for my entire pregnancy (I also have a clotting disorder), and it really saved me. The one thing you do have to watch for is it can cause an elevation in liver enzymes. I know we have one member here who experienced that, and right at the end of my pregnancy, I had a liver panel come back high. With a history of liver problems in pregnancy, your doctor would probably want to watch that. It's completely reversible--once you stop the meds, your enzymes return to normal. According to the literature (supplied by the company), it hasn't caused any symptomatic hepatic disease.

ambersjourney

Postby ambersjourney » Fri Apr 14, 637989 5:13 am

Hi,
I took Zofran with my first pregnancy. I had HG. The main side effect that I dealt with was SEVERE constipation, (no bowel movements for over three months!). I did not link the two together and when I complained to my Doc, I was told, that I wouldnt be having any BMs until I started to eat greens again. However constipation is a side effect of Zofran and many providers also automatically prescribe something to help you go, that you take along side the Zofran, every day. This definately prolonged my recovery from HG, backing up my entire system. You can read more on Zofran on the forums at hyperemesis.org

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Tue Apr 04, 637989 10:18 pm

Hey Shannon! Congratulations on "meeting" the newest member of your family [:)]! I also have a clotting disorder so I understand the concern that goes along with taking medications that can have an effect on your system. I didn't take Zofran with my last, but I did take phenergan and reglan; if those two hadn't worked the doctor had mentioned Zofran. They did work for me, though. Hopefully, someone experienced with zofran will be on to give you a better answer! I remember I was told to take viactive for extra calcium during lovenox shots, and the warning on the box said if you are taking blood thinners to ask your physician before taking the viactive due to the vitamin k. - and that's an over the counter calcium supplement. You have to be careful with everything when you have a "complicated" system (either by pregnancy [;)] or other!). Congrats to you, again!

mermaid

Zofran ?

Postby mermaid » Tue Apr 04, 637989 8:04 pm

hi ladies,
did any of you take zofran in your first trimester for extreme nausea? how did it work? what were your side effects? i'm 8.5 weeks along and having a really rough time with nausea. my high risk ob prescribed zofran to me today but i'm hesitant to take it as i'm afraid it will mess up my clotting disorder. I will call my hema tomorrow=but i noted it has a warning not to take it if you have any liver function problems, i dont right now-but my liver took a beating during my pre=eclampsia episode and my LFTs have also gone up in the past on other meds. just curious for some anecdotes good or bad with zofran! also, my new hema told me that i definitely had HELLP syndrom and not AFLP which is what i was told i had...i'm kind of relieved he thinks it was HELLP as that's what my intuition told me i had, and we will know exactly what to look for with this pregnancy! it's going to be a journey. got the ultrasound today with the heartbeat and i fell in love with my baby to be!!!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”