Zealot here...

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Zealot here...

Postby akemt » Tue Mar 09, 2004 05:39 pm

Well, I've sent another poor pg lady off to the doctor's office. LOL On baby center she said she was really swollen and had been having a headache all day. So I asked if she had had any visual disturbances or a racing/pounding heart (just probing, not wanting to send someone to the dr and have them be normal, ya know). She has been having a racing pulse and said she felt like she'd been running up stairs all day. I honestly don't know how seriously she took me though she did log off and say she would call the dr (hopefully go in) after eating dinner. I hate the "I'm a zealot" feeling...LOL And, so many people say my BP was fine a month ago. Yah, and that has how much bearing on today? Sorry, a bit worked up I guess.[;)] So, do you ladies feel like you bring up preeclampsia any time pregnancy comes into a conversation? I swear it seems like I do. And, what do you tell people?

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Re : Zealot here...

Postby mada » Tue Mar 09, 2004 06:14 pm

Catherine,
I swear whenever I am talking to a friend who tells me about someone who is prego and is very swollen, or has other symptoms, I get right up on my soapbox. People think I am obsessed, but the way I look at it; they can all think I am a freak mama, if I help someone that's all that matters!! So you go girl!!!

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby sherry fisher » Tue Mar 09, 2004 06:45 pm

I am the exact same way! As soon as someone mentions something about BP's I am all over them about the symptoms to watch for, etc! My family has called me on occation about my problems and symptoms because so and so's daughter/wife/neice is pregnant and is having some problems. Like I am an expert....lol Nope, girls, not just you, I am the same way!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
Pregnancy Updates, ultrasound pictures, and the countdown: http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish4/
sherry fisher

Postby sonja » Tue Mar 09, 2004 07:49 pm

I was following a girl on one of the WebMD boards who was having problems with pre-e at the end of her pregnancy - it did not seem like she or her OB were taking it that seriously - I kept trying to get her to check out things over here - it is so much more persuasive to get your info from you ladies. She ended up okay thank goodness. I hope your gal is okay too!

Joy
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby deerhart » Tue Mar 09, 2004 09:57 pm

Catherine
Don't be afraid to be a zealot. I like to hang out on Ivillage everyone once in awhile, especially when I was pregnant. I ran into a lady in one of the chats that was a month ahead of me and was asking people about headaches and swelling etc.. and of course I started quizing her.
She did end up on bedrest from calling and seeing her doctor after chatting with me, and she ended up delivering 8-10 weeks early as her preeclampsia got worse.
It was nice to know that relating my experiences with the condition allowed someone else to see they weren't being paranoid, nor what they were feeling was normal in pregnancy and thus they seeked out help. In the long run, if telling people my story allows just 1 person to realize what may be happening to them and helps them to get the care they need, then it just may all have been worth it!

Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby suzanne » Wed Mar 10, 2004 05:09 am

I do often find myself talking to pregnant women about Pre-e. I forwarded the info email I got from this org. to a lot of my friends, and the reaction was strange----most felt it was alarmist, and asked me things like "wasn't that a little scary to send people?" It's like people only want to hear the positive about pregnancy. I think a lot of people have some fear of something like being "jinxed"---they think if they don't think about it, it won't happen. I have to guard myself sometimes against being TOO negative, but it's just so scary to think of people just not even knowing the signs of pre-e and maybe ignoring them. When I first got pregnant this time, my best friend (who has had 4 kids, all without any pain medication and without ANY pregnancy problems) got sick of hearing my worries and said I just was a pessimist. When I started having the BP problems early on, she was almost in denial. Oh, well. I WISH I could be less of a worrier about pregnancy, but I hope I do help others sometimes without scaring them too much!

Suzanne (37) and DH Tony (41) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby (due approx. 8/26/04!)
suzanne

Postby pugmommy7 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 08:17 pm

Zealot-shcmelot!
You could have saved her life! Bravo!!!

Mama to Bella,1/02/03, born 33 and 5/7 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz.Pre-E and PIH,& HELLP.
Babygirl #2,EDD 6/24/04
pugmommy7

Postby mintmommy » Thu Mar 11, 2004 05:20 pm

Me too!

I always bring it up. Its like, people ask me how my baby is doing and I tell them what happened and that I am worried about this pregnancy, too.

Arminda
Fredo (born at 35 1/2 weeks on 10/25/03 because of PE)
Pregnant again due 9/19/2004 (and should be a girl according to the chinese lunar calendar ) It was accurate with the first baby, but with this pregnancy I guess that we will see if its true [:D] . . .

Chinese lunar calendar: http://www.thelaboroflove.com/chart/cal.html
mintmommy

Postby annegarrett » Thu Mar 11, 2004 05:54 pm

What do y'all like better for a t-shirt? HIP Mama? or PZ (on the back it would say "Preeclampsia Zealot" or "Ask me about Preeclampsia"

(HIP Mama stands for Hypertension in Pregnancy)

I can't decide--they are both so witty. [;)]

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby mada » Thu Mar 11, 2004 05:57 pm

Anne, I like both too!! I want both!!! That's a hard choice!!!

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Next

Return to Pregnant Again?