Exercising after bp gets back to "baseline"?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Exercising after bp gets back to "baseline"?

Postby sandy » Thu Mar 11, 2004 04:25 pm

Hi, has anyone else been told this about pregnany and exercise?

A perinatologist I met with last week told me that it's fine to be excercising before and in the beginning while pregnant. He said that we start out pregnant with our blood pressure relatively at our "baseline". Then our blood pressure drops, and somewhere in the 2nd trimester it starts to go back up again. With normal people, it goes back to that baseline (which I never experienced because it just got all wacky out of control at that point).

So, he said that for me, when I am pregnant again, exercising is fine, but that I have to pay attention to whenever my blood pressure heads on up to the baseline...and then once it goes there (assuming it doesn't get all wacky again), I am to stop exercising until after delivery.

I guess I'm a little confused because I have heard exercise is so good for the pregnant body. But I guess it has something to do with decreased blood flow to the placenta...think I'll ask the peri for more clarification at some point when it becomes an issue.

Has anyone else been told this?
Thank you.

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks. June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP/chronic HBP/asthma
sandy

Re : Exercising after bp gets back to "baseline"?

Postby mintmommy » Thu Mar 11, 2004 05:00 pm

Sandy,

Are you pregnant again?

Well, if that is the case, then its already two of us. I have a 5 month old baby and I am now 3 months pregnant. My first pregnancy was induced at 35 1/2 weeks. It was a scary experience given that my baby boy was born weighing only 4 lbs. 5 ounces (he now weights 13 1/2 pounds).

I have already noticed some difference with this my second pregancy. It seems better, I think.

All I can say is that I am a bit worried about what will happen with this my second pregnancy, but I always hear that every pregnancy is different and I only hope that this one will be different for the best. It is already different, or so I think. I have not gained any weight, but my tummy popped right out as soon as I turned about 1 month. With my other pregnancy I began to get swollen and began gaining weight immediately, even before I knew I was pregnant (about 5 weeks pregnant). I dont know if that was part of it because I understand that PE symptoms begin until week 20.

Anyways, I was admitted for having BP 160s/90s and was induced right away. The maximum of my BP was 180s/90s that same day.

Now I have "whitecoat syndrome". Every time I go to the doctor, after I had my first child, I panic and I get BP readings of 140s/90s. I then ask to have a minute or two to relax and have them retake it and the readings come down to around 116/72.

I got my own BP digital monitor at home and its pretty accurate. Last time I went to the doc, my readings were 140s/90s and they only took it one time. I then came home and had my mother take it immediately after I got home and the readings were around the same, but after a few minutes the readings came down significantly, which I felt because I was no longer had feelings of panic.

I wish you the best.

Take care,
Arminda

mintmommy

Postby mintmommy » Thu Mar 11, 2004 05:03 pm

oh, by the way

I am exercising, too, with an elliptical machine that we got at home for about 20 to 30 minutes (no more than that). I will exercise until I am told to stop or until I see any signs of PE or anything else.

So far its going well, other than the whitecoat syndrome.

Good luck and keep on exercising, but take it easy.

Sincerely,
Arminda

mintmommy

Postby sandy » Thu Mar 11, 2004 05:27 pm

Oh, Arminda! Good luck to you :). Sounds like you're doing everything you possibly can to create a favorable outcome. No, I'm not TTC yet, but I'm (we are) close to getting started. Trying to make sure everything is in "order" first...

I wish you an enjoyable and extremely "boring" pregnancy. [:)]

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks. June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP/chronic HBP/asthma
sandy

Postby mintmommy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 09:52 am

Sandy,
Good luck preparing for your upcoming pregnancy!

Everything will be allright. Whatever happens, its for the best. It's what God decides and we have to respect and accept that . . . I know that it is very hard, though . . .

I guess we can say that we are very lucky to have gotten an opportunity to be Mommies [:D]

Wishing you the BEST!
Arminda
mintmommy

Postby akemt » Fri Mar 12, 2004 02:35 pm

What your doctor said about the changes in blood pressure was right, though I don't honestly know the reasons behind stopping the exercising. Obviously if you have PE you should rest more, etc but even beforehand? hmm...When you do get clarification, let us know! I'm curious too. Perhaps they just want to be extra sure you aren't adding more stressors to what may already be a stressed body?

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Return to Pregnant Again?