Antiphospholipid Syndrome

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Antiphospholipid Syndrome

Postby aswillard » Fri Mar 12, 2004 08:57 am

Hello -

I am wondering if anyone out there has been diagnosed with Antiphospholipid Syndrome?

I developed pre-eclampsia with my first (and only) pregnancy. I know I don't have to explain to you all what a miserable and frightening experience that was. Now my husband and I are discussing whether or not to try again. My OBGYN referred us to a perinatologist, with whom we met and discussed the risks. She recommended the extensive bloodwork that tests for clotting disorders and so we went ahead with it. My OBGYN assured me that the clotting disorders are very rare and was confident that I had a 99% chance of the results being negative.

Well, that 1% chance seems to have my name written all over it, and I came back positive for the Lupus Anticoagulant Antibody. We are meeting next week with the perinatologist again to discuss the results, but in the meantime I am really eager to know more.

Has anyone else experienced this? What does it mean for future pregnancies? With aspirin and/or anticoagulant treatment, is pre-eclampsia avoidable or merely managed? Any insights anyone might have would be very, very appreciated!

Abigail (31)
Elizabeth Ann (9-20-02, PE at 35 weeks)
aswillard

Re : Antiphospholipid Syndrome

Postby julie f » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:16 pm

Abigail,

Hi and welcome, I'm glad you've found us! I think you'll find tons of information, encouragement and support here!

I did a search for antiphospholipid syndrome and came up with quite a few posts from other forum members. Unfortunately, I can't get the link to copy...[:(!] But, just go up to the top of the page and click on "search" and then type in "antiphospholipid syndrome" and check search exact phrase - it should come back with a dozen or so posts.

Hope that helps a bit. Please let us know how your appointment goes next week!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby deerhart » Sun Mar 14, 2004 09:35 am

I have this and a couple of other abnormalities.
The hemotologist did say that it may be treatable with heprin in any future pregnancies, but it wasn't a guarentee, but also advised me against any more pregnancy (I do already have 2 kids so it wasn't that big of a deal). Though many woman I know who have used heprin because of blood clotting disorders have been very successful at delivering PE free.

Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby aswillard » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:43 am

Thanks, Julie and Erin, for your replies! I am eager to meet with the perinatologist this week to find out more. I will keep you posted on what I learn.

I appreciate your feedback and support!

Abigail
aswillard

Return to Pregnant Again?