PE again?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

PE again?

Postby lrrichard76 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 02:28 pm

My son will be 2 next month and I developed preeclampsia during labor. Funny thing is I couldn't understand why they were making a fuss because I felt fine. In the weeks before delivering him, I was swollen, I had gained around 11 lbs in about 4 days. I read about PE on the website and thought that is what I had but when I went to the doc, blood pressure was fine and no protein in urine. At 37 weeks I went into labor and all of a sudden everything shot through the roof and they had to induce labor.

I'm pregnant with baby number two and wonder if I am considered high risk. I've since moved to another sate and am no longer seeing my ob/gyn and will not have an ob appt. with the new doc until the end of april. Just wondering if I should notify them of my past condition?

Thanks!
lrrichard76

Re : PE again?

Postby season » Tue Mar 16, 2004 02:43 pm

Congratulations. Definately tell your new provider of your past experience. It's always best for a enw doctor to ahve as compelte a history as possible. You are at some increased risk of having problems again.

SueAnn
dh Kwame
ds Ezekiel 1/2/02 (34wks due to pre-e)
#2 EDD 7/6/04
season
Forum Moderator

Postby julie f » Tue Mar 16, 2004 03:37 pm

Welcome, I'm so glad you've found us and, CONGRATS on your new pregnancy!

Since you did develop preeclampsia in a previous pregnancy, you should absolutely be considered a high-risk patient. It is very important to your health and the baby's that your new doctor be informed of the details surrounding your last pregnancy. I would get your records from your last OB to have and take with you to your first appt with your new OB. How far along are you? If you call your new OB's office and inform them that you had preeclampsia with your last pregnancy, you may find that they want to see you sooner than the end of April. My non-medical guess is that they will want to establish some baseline values for you - blood pressure, protien levels, weight, etc.

Again, welcome and congratulations, you will find TONS of support and encouragement here. Please keep us updated!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby akemt » Tue Mar 16, 2004 04:10 pm

Again, WELCOME! And CONGRATULATIONS!

I just wanted to add that the experts here at the preeclampsia foundation give a 20-60% chance of recurrance depending on severity and time of onset, etc. It varries greatly from person to person and basically you just never know.

Also, I am pregnant with my second and went in earlier than 12 weeks so that we could get a u/s to date the pregnancy. I wanted to be very sure of our dates in case PIH/Oligo/pre-e decided to join us this time around too. I brought my previous records (they were VERY glad to have them) and spoke with the doctors about my concerns and what their prefered methods of treatment were, etc. The first doctor I saw I did not stick with because of what I learned in those discussions and I am also quite glad that I found that out early instead of when all heck breaks lose (and hopefully it won't).

How far along are you and when are you due? Welcome to the paranoid and pregnant club! [;)]

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby lrrichard76 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 07:24 am

Thanks for all of the valuable information, it has been very helpful. I am 5 weeks with an edd of November 17. I was just so overwhelmed with the news that when making the appointment I failed to mention to the provider the previous history. For some reason, either I read or someone told me that preeclampsia usually struck first pregnancies and was unlikely to happen in subsequent pregnacies.

Also, my husband has a son from a previous relationship whose mother developed(what was referred to toxemia at the time) so, I found it very strange that she and I both experienced the same thing and it has made me a little concern with this second pregnancy. Thanks for all of your helpful info.

Renee
lrrichard76

Return to Pregnant Again?