preeclampsia again? or normal pg?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

preeclampsia again? or normal pg?

Postby pamdse » Sat Mar 20, 2004 07:20 am

[?]Hello, I have never posted here before. I am glad to have found what looks like a great resource!
I have been doing searches and not finding an answer to my question.
I had preeclampsia with my daughter who is about to turn 6. I am almost 20 weeks pregnant (and it is high risk because I miscarried 4 times in the first trimester since then). I am noticing pitted edema in my legs below my knees, doesn't seem to be in face and hands, just below knees. I had this with my daughter but never mentioned it to my dr. b/c people told me it was normal. I had preeclampsia with my daughter only when I went in to be induced, and in reading, I think it started a few days before as I had blurry vision too. I will tell my ob at my appointment next week, but am curious for answers now. Is pitted edema in the legs a normal part of pregnancy? Or is this one of the early signs of defintely having pe again? THanks for any insight you can give.
Pam
daughter April 2, 1998
baby due August 12, 2004
pamdse

Re : preeclampsia again? or normal pg?

Postby deerhart » Sat Mar 20, 2004 09:28 am

Its both
The difference being, is that edema normally associated with PE does not go away with traditional treatment of elevating the legs, drinking more water etc..

It you can go to bed (and possible elevate the foot of the bed about 5-10 inches) and your swelling has gone down in the morning (not necessarily compelete gone) then its more likely normal pregnancy swelling. If it 's the same or worse, then its probably not normal pregnancy swelling. The same thing should happen if you increase you water intake, or elevate your legs for an hour (should see a decrease)
Edema itself is no longer considered a diagnosis factor in PE because it can be difficult to tell between normal swelling and abnormal swelling.

Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby julie f » Sat Mar 20, 2004 09:31 am

Pam,

Welcome and congratulations on your pregnancy! I pray that you have another 20 booooooring and uneventful weeks ahead of you!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby evansmom » Mon Mar 22, 2004 06:11 am

Both my OB and Perinatologist told me that (significant) swelling in and of itself is not a critera for PE. But it is sign to watch things a bit more closely. In my first pregnancy, I was so swollen, I had to wear my husbands shoes the last month! But the swelling started much earlier, in the 7th month, before the HBP. With my current pregnancy, I have been drinking sooooo much water, I go to the bathroom every 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. I was also told by my nutritionist that dandelion leaf, which you can put in a salad (although its quite bitter), is a natural, mild diuretic. I was able to find some in my supermarket, and try to eat some every few days. So far, I have had no swelling.
Good luck -- hopefully your swelling is nothing serious. Here's to an uneventful pregnancy!!!

Lauren 27
DH Jeff
Evan 12-9-01 (PIH @ 29 weeks)
EDD 7-11-04
evansmom

Postby tahoe4 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 07:34 am

As far as I know, PITTING edema is never a sign of anything normal in a pregnancy. Swelling is normal, but when it pits, the swelling is pretty bad and should be looked into. I had severe pitting edema with my last pregnancy, but no other symptoms at all, so I was never diagnosed with pre-e until 34 weeks. Keep an eye on your blood pressure to make sure it's not rising between your dr's appts.
tahoe4

Return to Pregnant Again?