Called my #'s in to the OB office

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Called my #'s in to the OB office

Postby akemt » Fri Mar 26, 2004 04:23 pm

Well, I called in my numbers. They still aren't strictly hypertensive though close and are still fairly labile (I'll give them below). My pulse has been running pretty high also. I just figured (after working myself up to calling) that she *MIGHT do something now even though I'm probably not diagnosable quite yet. Better to find out anyway. Of course, the OB is out of town till Monday. The nurse figured she would want to see me sooner than the 19th but we won't find out till Monday. I'm wondering if I should consider seeing Dr.E myself? With my pulse, etc I'm curious if I have the high cardiac output also and if I would benefit from low-dose meds. Especially since I'm not at all up for 20 weeks of bedrest! LOL Maybe that's just paranoia talking again?

Well, here are the numbers (all but one were taken in the afternoon while Emma napped and I was sure to get a good resting pulse/pressure):

3/23
2:09 p 126 bp 142/88
138/90 (retake)
5:40 p 108 bp 120/70

3/24
1:40 p 114 bp 132/70
3:37 p 135 bp 138/76

3/25
2:08 p 124 bp 138/78
2:38 p 132
3:30 p 114 bp 130/72
late evening- bp 118/70

3/26
1:30 p 121 bp 136/74
3:28 p 125 bp 146/78

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Re : Called my #'s in to the OB office

Postby sonja » Fri Mar 26, 2004 05:10 pm

Those were where my bp's and pulses were are starting around 13 weeks - enough of a rise to be a concern in the second trimester - my OB refered me to Dr. E. I was lucky that she brought him up before I even mentioned him. My OB did go 4 weeks from 13-17 weeks to see if they were still up before refering me. I would say that you are okay until Monday - you know the signs to look for, get immediate attention if anything scarey happens, but until then, rest and take care.

Joy
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby julie f » Fri Mar 26, 2004 05:57 pm

Wow Catherine, those pulse readings seem pretty high!

Didn't someone here mention (I think Laura, Miss Forum Diva herself[:D]) that residents of Alaska are entitled (by law) to a 2nd opinion consult in Washington? If so, I definitely think it would be a great move... I could go on and on AND ON but, in the interest of remaining impartial [;)] about certain doctors[:D][:D], I won't!

Let us know!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby evansmom » Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:46 am

Catherine,
I'm assuming you're not on any bp meds at all @ this point? Is your history of HBP just in Pg? In my case, I was on meds for the first 13 wks, and the MD thought I could come off since my #s were low. But as soon as we noticed them jumping around a bit (mostly just systolic - in the 130s & 140s) 2 weeks later, back on meds I went. My doctor did not want to take a chance given my history. I was taking atenolol prior to Pg and the first trimester, as I also have a rapid pulse. Now I'm on aldomet, which doesn't control the heart rate as well (I often have resting pulses of 115-120), but its keeping the BP down. Would you feel more comfortable on meds? I know I did -- its so disheartening to see the numbers go up. Talk to your doctor -- maybe starting on a low dosage will help. But if you can get to Dr. E - even better. Good Luck!

Lauren 27
DH Jeff
Evan 12-9-01 (PIH @ 29 weeks)
EDD 7-11-04
evansmom

Postby akemt » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:39 pm

You are right, I'm not on BP meds...yet anyway. And I so far only have HBP in pregnancy. Though, certain things make me think (and my OB agreed when we discussed it previously) that I am at more of a risk for the chronic hbp/underlying hypertension than true preeclampsia or a sudden onset, etc.

At this point I would be more comfortable on atenolol probably. I'm waiting for a call about whether the doctor wants to see me and hopefully I'll get that tomorrow. If not, I'll be sure to call in myself by mid-afternoon. I plan to bring up atenolol because of its pulse-lowering properties. I feel so tired all the time (though I've heard BP meds can produce the same problem) and I know now that it isn't the unisom since I've wheened myself off of it. I cannot make much of an argument, though. I'm sure she wouldn't prescribe it without consulting with a peri first. She normally calls Swedish in WA but maybe she'd be willing to use Dr. E's group at UW? I'm hoping for atleast a little action or some answers tomorrow.

I've been a bit concerned (probably an understatement, but I try to keep myself low-key about it if possible) about the increasing BP and have hated being asked "How are you doing?" and the like this weekend. How do you answer that question? Fine? [}:)] I get sick of that. LOL The real answer is that I'm okay for the moment but stressing about what is to come. But how do you explain that to someone? And do they really even want to know? Ugh. Just venting again! Sorry!

DH Britton (27)
akemt

Postby evansmom » Mon Mar 29, 2004 06:57 am

Catherine,
I know what you mean - I always say, I'm doing well -- considering (the risks, the stress, not feeling 100%, etc...) My doctor warned me on Friday, for me, this may be the calm before the storm ... I've started to gain a lot of weight (probably water), and with my 1st preg, my bps went thru the roof sometime between my 25th and 29th week vistit. I'm now at week 25, so its watch and wait. That's the worst part of this darn disease... you can be okay one minute, and your life turned upside down next. Well, I'm praying for you, me and all of the other soon to be mommies (especially us summer moms who are creeping into that post - 20 week danger zone)!

Lauren 27
DH Jeff
Evan 12-9-01 (PIH @ 29 weeks)
EDD 7-11-04
evansmom

Postby akemt » Mon Mar 29, 2004 08:56 am

Oh, I forgot to mention...the low BP's I've since realized were all taken in my right arm whereas all the other BP's were taken in my left. Last night DH took it in both arms and got 120/70 RT, 130/88 LT. Crazy! So perhaps the low readings should be discounted?!

DH Britton (27)
akemt

Postby 5thtymachrm » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:03 am

hey just wanted to jump in...your reading really should be taken on the left for accuracy. the right will always be lower because of how much further from your heart it is. I would take both sides just to be careful and have a record of the difference. You should be sitting, your left arm should be at heart level when taking your bp, and you should have been sitting for at least 5 min. first to settle your bp. hope this helps[:D](I'm a nurse and have taken thousands of bp's, many offices do it incorrectly and it drives me crazy)

Elizabeth
11/20/03 Indigo E. (born with no PE @ 37 weeks, 5lbs 13oz) (Pg Issues:33 weeks of bedrest!, PIH(atenolol),hyperemesis, hypothyroidism, cancer remission, asthma, 8cm blood clot @3wks)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/indigopage/
11/17/95 m/c @14wks
1/97 m/c @3wks
2/98 m/c @5wks
8/02 m/c @3wks
5thtymachrm

Return to Pregnant Again?