A couple of questions...

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

A couple of questions...

Postby megansmom » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:45 pm

Hi guys. I have been around reading all of the posts for the last week or so. I just had a couple of quick questions. My husband and I are talking about trying again. Probably not till later this year, but I am already scared. How did you all decide to try again?
Also, did any of you take atenolol (SP?)? That is what FINALLY got my blood pressure down after I had Megan. Did it have any side effects for you or the baby? I just keep thinking that if I had taken it last time, Megan would have not been a preemie. I sometimes think they rushed it a little, but then again, she is here and doing great at 2! Just wanted your thoughts, ideas, and/or opinions.
Thanks a bunch!

Amanda, SAHM to Megan born at 34 weeks due to pe
megansmom

Re : A couple of questions...

Postby akemt » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:18 pm

Amanda,

I had made the decision to try again (atleast one more time!) while going through the fun with my dd. The most common suggestion we give is that you visit a perinatologist for a pre-pregnancy consult. You can gain alot of information and even hope for your next pregnancy.

About the atenolol, I have not taken it but am starting to think I want to be on it now! LOL There are many around who have and will give their thoughts soon.

Let us know about your decision, etc!

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby evansmom » Mon Mar 29, 2004 07:07 am

Hi Amanda,
Like you, atenolol was the only med that worked for me post-partum. I was on it 1 1/2 yrs. before I got pregnant. My doctor okayed me staying on it for the first 13 wks ( I was on a very low 25mg. dosage). We then tried going w/out meds for two weeks since my bp was so good, but it started creeping up a bit. My doctor was not comfortable with atenolol in the 2nd trimester, since some studies show it restricts fetal growth. Luckily for me, the Aldomet I've been on is working. Here's an article for you that may provide you with some background info before you talk to your OB about Atenolol
http://acogjnl.highwire.org/cgi/content/abstract/98/3/427
I know if your doctor does okay you staying on, frequent ultrasounds are recommended to track the baby's growth (although my peri is doing that anyway, since hypertension in general can slow it). So far, having been on it in the first trimester has not seemed to effect the baby. Good luck to you!!

Lauren 27
DH Jeff
Evan 12-9-01 (PIH @ 29 weeks)
EDD 7-11-04
evansmom

Postby blessed4x » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:43 am

Amanda,

I know what you mean about being afraid to try again. After my second child was born I had postpartum PE. That was very scary. It took 5 years before we decided to try for another. With the 3rd child, I was put in bed and on Atenolol at 30 weeks for PE. I was able to make it to 36 weeks. My baby was fine in spite of the Atenolol. He was 6lbs. 9oz. I am now 31 weeks pregnant with my fourth child. I've been in bed and on Atenolol since 23 weeks. According to the nst's and ultrasounds the baby is doing great. I have ups and downs. I feel like we are on a rollercoaster. Hoping to make it a while longer. I know what the risks are for the Atenolol, but, for us it hasn't caused any problems, so far. Hope this helps.

Missy

dd 40 wks PE
ds 41 wks Postpartum PE
ds 36 wks PE
ds due 5/30/04 in bed since 23 weeks with PIH
blessed4x

Return to Pregnant Again?