braxton hicks

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
celticepona

Re : braxton hicks

Postby celticepona » Sat Aug 31, 638289 7:50 pm

quote:Originally posted by DeniseA

Hi Amy (or anyone for that matter)

What do Braxton hicks contractions feel like? How will I know when I am having them and if I am should I call my Doctor or what should I do??

To me they just feel like my whole uterus just tightens right up, hard like a rock and really without having any pain. I had them with Emily, and I think that they are practice contractions correct? (I need to double check my books) I would not become worried about them unless they start coming at regular intervals and with pain, along with other pre labor warning signs. With mine, I just get off my feet and drink water. I had them again today when I was trying to get caught up on my laundry, but then got some mild cramping, so I had my hubby watch Em so I could go lay down, and they went away. I go back again to the peri on Tuesday for my 31 week checkup and I will talk to them about my Braxton Hicks...unless they get REALLY intesnse then I will call them sooner!

pkandm

Postby pkandm » Fri Aug 30, 638289 3:56 pm

Boy I had these ALL the time with my son. I was concerned but the dr said as long as they'd stop if I stopped doing what I was doing. It sounds like you are "running" around when they are happening. Mine also came when I was frantically trying to get something done or if I were on a walk...or if I would even just walk up the stairs...basically anything that took anymore energy than just slowly walking in my day to day life. It really was accessive with that pregnancy-I'm interested to see what this one will be like. Good luck-I'm sure they're fine as long as they stop when you sit down and put your feet up.
Take care
Kate

ria

Postby ria » Thu Aug 29, 638289 11:05 pm

I remember having these from about 29 weeks with my first and recently I've been getting them on and off. At a NST last week I thought the baby was stretching, but sure enough...there was that little peak on the monitor.

Hang in there and try to take it easy.

kezt777

Postby kezt777 » Tue Aug 20, 638289 2:00 pm

i had those from at least 30 weeks onwards with all three babies so far. i remember with my second, they would be so strong i would literally have to stop moving and breathe my way through them. it freaked people out because they thought i was in labour but this went on for 2-3 months.. fun fun eh? its been happening again for quite a few weeks now with this one (im 32 wks) and its SO tight i have to put my hand up to let everyone know i cant talk for a minute. but the tightness doesnt seem to go down past my belly button. if it does, ill be wondering whats up lol. i hope that you feel better and can get through them :) its a good idea to relax whenever you can :)

denise - when i had my first child, i thought that the BH were him stretching. its kind of hard to explain, but basically the top of my tummy would tighten up and even stretch out and i assumed it was the baby running out of room. i would even pat my belly and say 'oh stop that!'. but when i went in for some monitoring the nurses kept asking if i was feeling any contractions... i kept saying 'nope' and they said 'are you sure? these are pretty tight'... i felt really silly later when i realized the tightness and stretching i was feeling were really braxton hicks contractions! lol. whoops! but now i know and can best describe them as the whole top of my tummy area tightening up like a ROCK and holding for a short time (sometimes 30 seconds, sometimes a fair bit longer) and its really strange feeling and can take my breathe away too. but then they relax and i just go on my way. they dont really go down any further than, say, half way. if i felt my whole belly tighten up like that to the bottom or had any back pain along with it (or a strong feeling of having to go "#2" along with it) i would be calling my doc just to let them know.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Aug 20, 638289 9:08 am

You got a little ways to go yet girl! Drink that water and make sure your doc knows you're having contractions!

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 20, 638289 6:39 am

Hi Amy (or anyone for that matter)

What do Braxton hicks contractions feel like? How will I know when I am having them and if I am should I call my Doctor or what should I do??

celticepona

braxton hicks

Postby celticepona » Tue Aug 20, 638289 3:40 am

I seem to be getting hit with these, especially when I am busy trying to work or do "mom' stuff. Yesterday at work I got them so then came home and tried to take it easy, then had a busy morning with Emily's playdate, went to the store, then started cramping and felt my whole belly tighten up. So I got out of there quick, got Emmy down for a nap and put my feet up and drank water. That helped. I know BH are relatively harmless but still a little disconcerting! My Peri most likely does not allow his patients to go beyond 38 weeks. So I'm in countdown mode here and looking at anytime between now and then, and still working on trying to keep up those healthy vibes...but just trying to do things and getting hit with those knocks me off my feet!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”