Anyone on Lovenox/heparin?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Anyone on Lovenox/heparin?

Postby twolfgram » Wed Mar 31, 2004 07:44 am

Is anyone currently pg and on lovenox/heparin? I'm getting the worst lumps in my tummy and sometimes arms from the injections and a few are painful. I have a call into the nurse, but was wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this. The nurse/doctor both say the lumps are normal, but this one in particular is red, warm and really sore. Thanks!

Therese Mom to
DS 10/4/95
DS Stillborn 12/20/02
And "Baby dot" - EDD 9/11/04!
twolfgram

Re : Anyone on Lovenox/heparin?

Postby deerhart » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:49 am

I have heard to try ice on the area before you inject it to deal with the pain some.

Hope it gets better!

Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby tahoe4 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:59 am

I'm on Lovenox. I've been alternating injections on the far right and left sides of my stomach daily. I was doing well as far as very little bruising, until last week. I accidentally injected an air bubble into my stomach instead of getting it out of the syringe first. This caused a huge black bruise, although not too painful. So I had to inject on the other side of my stomach a few days in a row, so now I have a huge bruise on that side. I have found that injecting into the bruises doesn't hurt any more than injecting into regular skin.

I've never injected into my arm so I'm not sure about lumps/bruises there. I did try to inject into my leg ONE time and it was extremely painful and left a huge bruise, so I didn't try that again.

I would suggest trying to inject about 5-6 inches to the right or left of your belly button and about an inch down. This is where it hurts the least for me and for the first few months I had no bruises or lumps. I'm almost 29 weeks now and I'm still injecting into the far sides of my stomach, but I'm afraid the bruises are here to stay. Are you making sure to tap the air bubble to the top of the syringe and blowing it out before you inject? That's what really started my bruising. Good luck to you!
tahoe4

Postby lauras » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:28 am

Have you gotten a call back from your dr/nurse yet? I am on Fragmin and get lumps in my abdomen with each shot that last for about 48 hours. When I asked about it, they said that was normal but that it is possible for them to absess occasionally. Anything red, warm and really sore would sound like an infection to me and I would definitely go to the doctor to have it checked out to make sure.

Wishing you the best,

Laura 32
DH 32
Isabella 11/25/01 - 30 wks -severe pe
Another girl! 8/24/04
lauras

Postby akemt » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:45 am

I would agree with Laura...it sounds infection like (redness, soreness, warmth) to me. Best to get checked and prove us wrong.

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby twolfgram » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:58 am

Thanks, all, for the responses. I did hear back from the nurse and she again said the lumps are normal, but if the redness, warmth and pain don't go away by Friday morning, I'll need to go in. Sooner if it gets worse. I've used ice packs for my arms and legs and that works really well. I had a c-section with my first, so the area underneath my belly button is numb, still, so that works good for me. I don't get the air bubble out first, I'll have to try it, thanks!

Therese Mom to
DS 10/4/95
DS Stillborn 12/20/02
And "Baby dot" - EDD 9/11/04!
twolfgram

Return to Pregnant Again?