Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Venting...

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Venting...

Postby akemt » Thu Apr 01, 2004 05:24 pm

Ugh, so I went in for what I thought was a 24 hr BP monitor hook-up (after it being rescheduled while I waited there on Tuesday...I swear they don't realize I have a kid and babysitters waiting. PAIN!) and they had me scheduled for a cardiac consult. I argued a bit because I was not told anything about that, etc. They said they don't even own a 24 hr monitor, they had to order it and it hadn't arrived yet...they'd call me and let me know when to come in! So, I go through with the consult assuming I've not been informed or something and it was completely pointless. The Dr who just about 3 weeks ago said my heart was healthy and fine took my bp, said my pulse was high (122 bpm), asked about my thyroid tests, listened to my heart and said he knew nothing about htn in pg and that I needed to ask my OB that stuff. Also, that I didn't need to come back to see him untill I was 6 wks PP to see how my BP was doing then. Talk about a pain! And I'm going to have to pay for that! The only good thing is that he has heard about the cardiac output monitoring done at UW in a roundabout way.

So, I called the OB's office and just got a call back. They wanted me to do the 24 hr monitoring but will now call the internist and see what he suggests. Great...we already know he "knows nothing about pg htn." She also said that the Dr. would call a peri and see if they thought I should be medicated. They don't even have my #'s for the past few weeks...all they took down was my range last Friday (in both arms) and the midwife already made it clear she didn't understand those by saying I was probably making them go higher by taking it too often. Yah, once a day while borderline is too often! Ugh, I could scream from the stupidity. The whole "medicated" part is probably because I dropped off some printouts of the "ask the experts" section and wrote a note to the OB that I dropped off before my apt. today so the OB could read through things and collect her own thoughts before we discussed it all at my regular apt.

They are so making a case for me going to the UW! LOL Hmm...maybe I should look into what it would actually cost. Plenty, I know. I'll wait and see what they say when they call back in a few days. If I get a call back saying "we'll see you at your next appointment, nothings wrong now" I'm going to be rather irritated. LOL that's the most diplomatic statement I've made all afternoon! LOL "rather irritated"

Anyway, sorry I'm always on here complaining! I just get tired of all this. I like my OB and she is good at what she does but at the moment that isn't seeming like it is enough. Thankyou for listening yet again!

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Re : Venting...

Postby akemt » Thu Apr 01, 2004 06:21 pm

Flight to Seattle= $340.00 , hotel is about $44/night. hmm.

DH Britton (27)
akemt

Postby sandy » Thu Apr 01, 2004 06:23 pm

Awful! Simply awful!! Do we have to educate the doctors and nurses ourselves?!!

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP/chronic HBP/asthma
sandy

Postby sherry fisher » Thu Apr 01, 2004 07:41 pm

[quote]Originally posted by akemt

Flight to Seattle= $340.00 , hotel is about $44/night. hmm.

Good Prenatal care and a healthy baby.....PRICELESS!!!!

(I just could not resist Catherine...sorry! LOL)

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04 - Allyson Mae
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
Pregnancy Updates, ultrasound pictures, and the countdown: http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish4/
sherry fisher

Postby akemt » Thu Apr 01, 2004 09:16 pm

LOL Sherry, I know.

So I'm venting still...more...whatever!

Don't you think I should atleast have seen or talked to the doctor with all this? Not even a urine test has been done. I don't think I have pre-e, but how would they know? I would feel so much more at ease (even with all this junk) if I had talked directly to her. Then it would feel more like the office staff at both dr's offices were incompetant isntead. ugh.

Though, I chatted with my sil tonight and she suggested seeing my old OB in Juneau. It may be a good idea. We were considering flying up there for something else at the end of the month anyway. Only about $200/flight and $30/hotel LOL

Well, I'm going to get going...probably driving you guys nuts already!

DH Britton (27)
akemt

Postby lauras » Fri Apr 02, 2004 04:41 am

Maybe I'll print this out and show it to my MIL who complained about me picking a hospital 30 miles away instead of 5 miles in order to see a peri. I'm really grateful to have the option; and so sorry you don't. If it were me, I'd give the OB an earful at my next appt. about how we have the right to be cautious and worried this time around and shouldn't be blown off by nurses. Sorry, I guess I'm venting, too.

I hope you can get some answers. Wishing you the best,

Laura 32
DH 32
Isabella 11/25/01 - 30 wks -severe pe
Another girl! 8/24/04
lauras

Postby paljane8 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:09 am

So, Catherine, I have an extra bed...

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

ds-8yrs, dd-7yrs
Scott-4yrs (PE)
Janie-5/12/03 (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby julie f » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:51 am

Oh Catherine, I would be "rather irritated" as well!!![}:)] I'm not in the greatest of moods today so, I could say plenty more...! I bet you could too!

Very scary that the person they want to consult with knows "nothing about pg htn..." So frustrating.

I wonder if you call the UofW and ask about a telephone consult? Do they do that I wonder? Could your doctor call over and ask do a consult? Obviously that wouldn't take care of the cardiac output part though. (One thing that our acct told us is that any expenses might be considered tax deductible... so, at least that is one small bonus...[^])

Anyway, I'm thinking about you and hoping you get some anwers soon!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby akemt » Fri Apr 02, 2004 02:46 pm

I called UW this afternoon and talked to one of their hypertension nurses. She was very nice but said it honestly wouldn't work well if I didn't have the support of my OB when being treated. She told me my concerns were valid and that I was right to want to be treated with what is going on. She said I could even be seen as early as the 15th...though that's when I will finally get to see my doctor! She was a bit ?curious? about that. Anyway, I guess I need to be even more demanding and ask to speak directly to the doctor or be seen. What fun this is! [}:)] LOL I never thought I'd have to learn to be MORE pushy. LOL Of course it is a Friday yet again and it will be difficult to try to deal with the OB's office today. Fabulous...I still have to work up the nerve and decide for sure if I'm going to go to UW. Why is this such a hard decision? How odd.

DH Britton (27)
akemt

Postby taras mom » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:05 pm

Catherine, Seattle was sunny and warm today, if that makes any difference.[;)]

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel