Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Good and bad news at my appt today

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Good and bad news at my appt today

Postby 3preemiekidz » Tue Apr 06, 2004 09:48 pm

by 3preemiekidz (84 Posts), Tue Apr 06, 2004 09:48 pm

Good news is that I haven't gained any weight from 2 weeks ago which is a miracle since I've been gaining weekly since the day I found out. I also don't have to go back for 2 weeks since I'm having a fetal echo done next week. Of course the Dr. made me promise to call if there were any changes in anything. My blood pressure was also much better from my last appointment. It was 150/104 then and they admitted me for 24hrs. Today it was 142/84. The Dr. I saw today was super nice and let me look at everything on the ultrasound and I even got a picture this time. The baby was sucking her thumb and you could even see her mouth moving.

Bad news is, I'm now on stricter bedrest. They are afraid I will have pre-eclampsia onset quickly and they are trying to postpone it. I'm already spilling protein and have sporadic pressures which the Dr. says comes before full blown pre-e. The Dr. also explained that the reason I have to go for a fetal echocardiogram next week is that they saw a small hole in the baby's heart that they want to keep an eye on. Hopefully it will close on it's own but we'll have a better idea if we should worry or not next week. Also, the baby is measuring BIG which isn't good for me since I have type 1 diabetes. My due date is Aug 1 and she is measuring to be due July 26. UGH! The bigger she gets, this early on, the more risk of complications. The Dr. also talked to me about steroid shots to mature her lungs but we will hold off on those for as long as we can. Only 1 more week to the magic 24 week mark so I'm trying to stay down and relax as much as possible with 3 other kids.

Rebecca
Mom to Audri 3,
Ezra 2,
Liya 1
and #4 EDD 8/1/04
born at 35, 29 and 31 weeks due to Pre-e/HELLP
3preemiekidz

Re : Good and bad news at my appt today

Postby twolfgram » Wed Apr 07, 2004 09:52 am

by twolfgram (388 Posts), Wed Apr 07, 2004 09:52 am

Congrats on the good news! I'm sorry about the bad news. Sounds like the dr has you under a watchful eye! I hope you have some help with the other kids while you're on bedrest! Hang in there, you'll make it!

Therese Mom to
DS 10/4/95
DS Stillborn 12/20/02
And "Baby dot" - EDD 9/11/04!
twolfgram

Postby akemt » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:15 am

by akemt (4961 Posts), Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:15 am

I don't know that I would say much more than Therese has? The good news is good, bad news is bad. I sure hope that the bedrest can hold things off a bit longer. I totally know what you mean about that 24 week mark...I'm waiting to get there (so close now) too. So have you been diagnosed with pre-e or PIH or are they still waiting for that?

Hope that fetal echo goes well! Keep us posted.

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby sonja » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:45 am

by sonja (5658 Posts), Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:45 am

I am so glad that your OB put you on stricter bed rest - it always frusterates me to hear of OB's having the opinion of go until you drop - I know that it is hard, but if it can buy you some time it is better! I am sure that the heart hole is nothing, I think lots of babies have that - but it is something to worry about, I know we can't help it. Take care!!

Joy
sonja
Forum Moderator

Return to Pregnant Again?