Need advice-should we induce?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
mom29
Registered User
Posts: 1391
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 637035 8:38 am

Re : Need advice-should we induce?

Postby mom29 » Tue Jun 23, 638296 4:40 pm

All of my inductions (except for two) went very well,I'd do it again. It does help to have your cervix favorable if it is not an emergency situation. Also, if they don't break your water and the induction wasn't working couldn't they send you home? I remember a co-worker did that (she was a nurse in L&D).

User avatar
caryn
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10203
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 637032 6:26 pm

Re : Need advice-should we induce?

Postby caryn » Mon Jun 22, 638296 7:20 am

I just want to add that it's difficult to break apart the risks with studies into induction and Caesarean. My induction failed, for instance, but that was because it didn't have time to work because the PE was progressing in the background. We started the induction at 5 pm and were in theatre by midnight, because Oscar'd started deceling, so does that count as a failed induction leading to increased risk of section? I'd say, not really -- it didn't really *fail* -- and that makes me take all studies into a correlation between induction and Caesarean with a grain of salt. You've got to read the full text of the studies and see how they controlled for scenarios like mine to see how relevant the comparison groups are.

mkvh
Registered User
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 637988 3:13 pm

Re : Need advice-should we induce?

Postby mkvh » Fri Jun 12, 638296 10:59 am

I had a medically necessary induction with DD1 at 40w; I was 1-2cm and 50% effaced. One dose of Cervadil and 12 hours of pit, 2 hours of pushing, and a vacuum later, she was born. I didn't dilate to 5 for the first 7 hours of pit. Of course, I had pre-e and was left side bed bound with an epidural for the whole thing.

We decided on an elective induction for DD2 at 39w5d due to insurance (I was due 12/30). I started at about 2cm and 40% effaced. Two doses of Cervadil then 7 hours of pit, and I only had dilated a centimeter. MAYBE. I was healthy and mobile and did everything I could to encourage labor. I did have an anaphylactic reaction to the abx I was given for GBS and then had panic attacks (we did not know about the reaction until later), so I think that may have had something to do with it. But we turned off the pit and went home and had a baby 8 days later via c/s.

Unfortunately, I was on the road to potentially a longer induction with #2. I figured, like you did, that my first induction was far from ideal and still took less than 24 hours from the insertion of Cervadil to birth so the 2nd would be even shorter. It certainly didn't seem to be on that path, and I didn't stick around to find out ;)

Guest
Registered User

Re : Need advice-should we induce?

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 12, 638296 1:42 am

Hi there,

I was just induced at 38.5 weeks with Meggie. They started with the cervical gel on Monday, May 12 at 8 pm. and Meggie was born on Wednesday at 6:34 am!! So, it was over 24 hours. On one hand, not a great experience because it was so lengthy and I, too, was worried about getting a c-section.

On the other hand though, I have my beautiful daughter now and I don't have to worry about her. Also, I delivered vaginally which is what I wanted.

Very tough decision. All I can say is - follow your instincts and your heart.

I am not even sure what I would do the next time and the thing is EVERY pregnancy is so different. Good luck with whatever it is that you decide to do.

rebeccac
Registered User
Posts: 761
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 637659 10:47 am

Re : Need advice-should we induce?

Postby rebeccac » Thu Jun 11, 638296 11:27 pm

I guess if it were me, I would wait to go into labor on my own if possible. (I was induced and then had an ER section after failure to progress and HELLP set in.) Unless your or your baby's health/life were at risk, I would consider waiting.... Good luck with your decision.


kelly w
Registered User
Posts: 1120
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 637339 12:37 am
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re : Need advice-should we induce?

Postby kelly w » Thu Jun 11, 638296 8:18 pm

Just a note - typically with second and subsequent babies the labor is often faster - but not so necessarily with induction. It matters more what the cervix is doing. I've had 5 successful inductions, but my first was my *shortest* at 24 hours and my last was my longest at 44 hours [due to Mag IMO]. The others were in the 26-31 hour range.

I'd go more by the state of the cervix when planning rather than by which # birth it is when induction is involved.

Already having an "easy" induction before is a very good sign though IMO!

Kelly

User avatar
heather j
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4883
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 637665 5:00 am
Location: TN

Re : Need advice-should we induce?

Postby heather j » Mon Jun 01, 638296 2:13 pm

I can't begin to comment as far as difficulty of induction, because I've only had sections; but given your situation, it would be *very* tempting to plan it out. I had a two-year-old at home who didn't have special needs and the ability to plan who would keep him, how he'd get there, etc during my second delivery was very comforting for me -- knowing he was being taken care of according to our wishes. It's wonderful, either way, that you have a doctor who is taking you as a whole patient into account. Very nice, indeed.

melly
Registered User
Posts: 473
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 638286 4:06 am

Re : Need advice-should we induce?

Postby melly » Mon Jun 01, 638296 1:55 pm

My second induction was sooo much easier than my first. My first was at 36 weeks with no dilation and pitocin and mag sulf. It took over 24 hours. My second was at 37 weeks with 3cm dilation and over 80% effaced also with pitocin and no mag. It only took 5hrs. I also had an epidural with both. I would think if you've done it successfully once before it would increase your odds this time. Especially if there are no other problems and you are able to get close to term. Good luck!

onesock
Registered User
Posts: 1606
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 637988 8:12 pm

Re : Need advice-should we induce?

Postby onesock » Mon Jun 01, 638296 1:20 pm

Just my opinion, but I would have something planned...that way you can concentrate on bringing your new little one into the world and feel comfortable knowing that your son is being very well cared for :) Let us know what you decide!

kara
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6614
Joined: Mon May 24, 637649 9:37 am
Location: Midland, TX
Contact:

Re : Need advice-should we induce?

Postby kara » Mon Jun 01, 638296 11:13 am

Well, I think having had an induction and vaginal birth already, that went smoothly, is on your side. Don't they say the second ones come a little faster and easier? I'm sure that's not always the case. But I do think it's important that you feel comfortable that your son is being cared for and that the situation is calm and organized, that would certainly make me feel better. Sounds like your doctor is comfortable with it.

My peri said that he's pretty confident that I'd be able to induce and deliver vaginally the next time around since it went so smoothly (so early) for me.

Let us know what you decide How far along are you now?


Return to “Pregnant Again?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests