Need advice-should we induce?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
kelly w

Re : Need advice-should we induce?

Postby kelly w » Mon Jun 01, 638296 11:07 am

That is a hard choice. What is your cervix doing right now?

You have twice the risk of Cesarean with an induction than you do going in to labor on your own. If your cervix is dilating some on its own, it will make your odds a bit better.

Inductions tend to be very long and very painful, but it sounds like you had a pretty easy time with your prior induction? Maybe you respond especially well to the meds.

That is such a hard thing to balance - I *totally* understand wanting to avoid difficulty with your son's care.

Good luck!

Kelly

pkandm

Need advice-should we induce?

Postby pkandm » Mon Jun 01, 638296 10:40 am

I had my appointment today. Just a quick history. My son was born at 36 weeks-I was induced due to HELLP Syndrome. Well, he ended up having a trisomy 13 (a syndrom) and has chronic health issues-the main being he has a trach. This is important as when I go into labor it isn't like we can just leave him with the neighbor or whoever--they have to be trained in his trach cares and know him well and feel comfortable in an emergency situation. Needless to say, we have trained only 2 friends who would feel comfortable with this and then my mom would drive up fast and take over (she is 5 hours away).

SO-today at my appointment my OB asked about this-as I always have my son w/me because I stay at home w/him. She said that because my induction went so smoothly with him (considering I was so sick)--she would feel comfortable inducing me so that we wouldn't have to worry about what to do with our son. I have always been against c-sections and inductions due to convenience and now I look at this offer and think it may just be what we need to do. BUT-I just don't want to end up with a c-section...I know that being induced can cause the need for a c-section to increase.

I just don't know what to do. I'd want to be induced pretty close to my due date-but I kind of feel like this is playing with fire...any insight on this??

Return to “Pregnant Again?”