rapid heartrate and pe

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

rapid heartrate and pe

Postby samarasmom » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:45 am

I know alot of you moms have had the rapid breathing but was wondering if anyone had a rapid heartrate. Mine has been running over 100 BPM for the past couple of days and I lose my breath even just talking. Can anyone help.

Sandra 23
EDD 08/24/04
elijah 05/06/99
isaiah 03/25/02
samarasmom

Re : rapid heartrate and pe

Postby akemt » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:27 am

Sandra,

Yes, I get the rapid heart rate. They give alot of leeway for heart rate in pregnancy because of all the hemodynamic changes that go on (more blood, etc). So, 100 isn't actually considered tachycardia. 120 is the line (according to my doctor) but she starts to worry around 110. That said, she has done nothing to slow mine...just a bit of heart monitoring. I do notice that my increased pulse rate and BP tend to go together. Perhaps not completely, but if my pulse starts to jump up higher in general (over a period of time) then normally my BP has done the same. That still means I go back and forth from day to day, but the average is higher. Try and keep track of your pulse and BP and see if there is any correlation. Be sure to let your doctor know that your pulse rate is high for you, though be warned that they probably won't do much about it.

Have a great day and keep us updated, okay?

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby laura » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:57 am

Actually, technically, tachycardia begins at 100 bpm, but Catherine, you're right, most docs don't get too excited about it until you hit 120 (the point at which I was told to go into L&D) Tachycardia seems to be pretty common in hypertensive pregnancies, and it can be a symptom of worsening PE.

Heartrate is one of the components of blood pressure, and some antihypertensive medicines help reduce blood pressure by reducing heart rate. I had pulses around 100, too, Sandra, and felt like you describe and unfortunately the only thing that ended up working for me was the meds! Have you spoken with your doc about it yet, Sandra?

http://www.heartcenteronline.com/myheartdr/common/articles.cfm?ARTID=420

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby suzanne » Mon Apr 12, 2004 02:15 pm

Like many of you, I have a rapid pulse, but the funny thing is I ALWAYS did, from the very first time ever I remember checking my pulse, at age 12! It was 115 then (although I was very thin then and had very low BP) and it's been fast consistantly through my life. I have never been able to give blood due to it being over 100 when I try. I have often wondered where it ties in to all of this...It's a bit lower low that I am on BP meds. I've had all kinds of tests over the years, and my heart is fine. I wonder sometimes if the fast pulse was somehow a very early sign of future problems.

Suzanne (38) and DH Tony (42) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby Girl(due approx. 8/29/04!)
suzanne

Postby deerhart » Mon Apr 12, 2004 02:37 pm

I am the exact opposite.

Non pregnant my pulse runs in the 60-70's (in my athletic days it ran from 49-55 at rest and was lucky to get over 75 with light activity). Pregnant I usually sat between 82-90 and had episodes lasting 45+ minutes where it would be 120-135 while laying down.

I also have the same reaction when I have asthma attacks AND allergic reactions to medications. IN fact the BP pills they tried me own caused the same problem as I had while pregnant.

Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby samarasmom » Tue Apr 13, 2004 08:23 am

Well I was hospitalized yesterday for my heartrate being 120 bpm and they checked my heart and said they found nothing wrong with my heart but it shouldnt be that rapid and my bp was 140/80. they ran bloodtests and said that my potassium was severly low and had me take 5 potassium pills and checked my bp and hr every 30 min. They got my bp down but not my pulse. Have to go in on Wednesday for a bp and pulse check to see what theywant to do.Ill keep you posted.

Sandra 23
EDD 08/24/04
elijah 05/06/99
isaiah 03/25/02
samarasmom

Postby sonja » Wed Apr 14, 2004 09:12 am

I have a condition called "high cardiac output" it was diagnosed at the University of Washington Hypertensive Lab. Basically my bp's started going up ever so slightly at around 13 weeks when they should be going down, and my heart pounded hard all of the time, and yes I felt tired and out of breath all of the time. The peri at the UW put me on Atenolol which is a beta blocker (my pulse was running around 110 at the time). My pulse now runs in the 80's (they would prefer to see it in the 70's, but as my bp has gone down they are happy). The peri explained that that high of a pulse can lead to damage of the vessels which can lead to problems. Not many OB's think that high pulse is much of a problem, but let me tell you, I feel much better having it taken care of! Take care!

Joy
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby samarasmom » Thu Apr 15, 2004 07:30 am

Well Im glad my ob cares and understands. I seen him yest. and my bp is down but my pulse is still over 100 which they said is not good. Im being sent to a cardiologist for an echo and a heart workup. He called the condition PIT and the only thing I remember is the T stands for Tachycardia. HE says hes not sure if they will put me on any meds while Im preg. or not since they are weary about any meds during preg. BUT said they might if its the only thing that will help get it under control. Ill keep you posted.

Sandra 23
EDD 08/24/04
elijah 05/06/99
isaiah 03/25/02
samarasmom

Postby abell » Thu Apr 15, 2004 08:11 am

Sandra,

I have been out of breath like you and after speaking to you- decided today to take my pulse- it was like 96.

Is that high?

Amanda
Mommy to Madison- born 05/24/02 34 weeks gestation due to severe PE. 3 lbs. 7 oz. 16 inches.

Pregnant Again! Baby Girl- EDD 08/21/04
abell

Postby 5thtymachrm » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:06 am

just wanted to chime in also, I'm another UW pt with high bp and high pulse. during my pg they ran between a low of 110 and highs around 200. this was due to high cardiac output. I normally run around 100 when not pg. they treat you with a betablocker, atenolol, to get both bp and pulse down, at the UW.

Elizabeth
11/20/03 Indigo E. (born with no PE @ 37 weeks, 5lbs 13oz) (Pg Issues:33 weeks of bedrest!, PIH(atenolol),hyperemesis, hypothyroidism, cancer remission, asthma, 8cm blood clot @3wks)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/indigopage/
11/17/95 m/c @14wks
1/97 m/c @3wks
2/98 m/c @5wks
8/02 m/c @3wks
5thtymachrm

Next

Return to Pregnant Again?