Question from Amanda

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
sonja
Forum Moderator

Re : Question from Amanda

Postby sonja » Sun Apr 18, 2004 01:16 pm

Amanda - I am so glad to hear that you are doing pretty well with all of your labs etc, but I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your docs. Does the hospital have some sort of advocate you can talk to? It seems that I have heard someone hear mention something of the sort. If you are not comfortable with your doc's for sure get a second opinion. Have your doc's explained why they are using the criteria that they are? I wish you well and will continue to check to see how you are doing.

Joy

twolfgram

Re : Question from Amanda

Postby twolfgram » Sun Apr 18, 2004 01:15 pm

Hi Amanda (& Tim!):

Sounds like you're having a hard time! I hate to say this, but it doesn't sound to me like they're being unreasonable. Maija has a much better chance the longer she gets to "cook" and in the womb is the best place to be as long as health isn't compromised, both yours and hers, and until one of those criteria is met, yours isn't. My peri always wants my BP taken while lying down, too, because if it goes down while on my side, that's a good sign, if it's high sitting up and stays high while lying down, then she said it's not good. I'm not sure why, but that's what I've been told. Are they doing BPP's on the baby or at least ultrasounds to make sure she's doing ok? If not, I would insist on that. I know it's hard and you know I lost Erik at 29 weeks, so I know what it's like to lose a baby. I also know what it's like to have a preemie in the NICU for 11 weeks. It's no picnic. The fact that you're 32 weeks and have had the steroid shots is great, but it's still no guarantee that the NICU stay will be easy. I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, and it's just my humble opinion for what it's worth. I would question the he!! out of the doctors if you don't agree with their plans. Hang in there!

Therese Mom to
DS 10/4/95
DS Stillborn 12/20/02
And "Baby dot" - EDD 9/11/04!

amandab

Question from Amanda

Postby amandab » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:57 am

Hi ladies!

Thank you so much for all your thoughts and prayers and the cards and visits! You all mean so much to me. I can't imagine making it through this without you.

I am doing well physically. BP is usually really low. Sometimes it works up to 140's/80's, and I had one really bad day where it got up to 180/106, but it always goes back down. Protein has been negative to trace on the dipstick. Enzymes & platelets arer normal. That doesn't surprise me since they stayed normal last time.

Emotionally I am having a lot of bad days. Laying around isn't so bad. I have plenty of projects to work on. The problem is I am having a lot of problems with my OB, peri and many of the nurses. First, both OB and peri want BP taken laying down and they are only doing dipsticks for the urine, no 24 hour urines. I have only found a few nurses that agree BP should be taken sitting up. Of course, it doesn't matter b/c my OB & peri want laying down pressures. Second, I really have a problem w/ the criteria my OB & peri are using for delivery. 1. BP of 160/110 for at least 6 hours, laying down, 2. platets of 119 or less, 3. 7 grams of protein, 4. abnormal enzymes -- no exact # given or 5. headache or liver pain. They have said they will not deliver before 37 weeks w/o meeting one of these criteria unless I have an amnio that says her lungs are mature. So basically if I get worse before 37 weeks, I am guaranteed to have mag. It is very upsetting to me that they are not letting me have any say in the criteria for delivery. Finally, I am surrounded by doctors and nurses that have never lost a baby, and they do not understand that I want Maija delivered at the first sign of trouble rather than waiting and letting things get really bad.

I keep reminding them that I only had PIH or mild PE when we lost Aidan. So the thought of them letting me get to severe PE or HELLP before delivering FREAKS me and Tim out. (that's me! :) Of course, we don't want Maija to have to stay in the NICU, but I also don't want to go through severe PE or another emergency. Now that we have reached 32 weeks and have had the steroid shots, I think Maija will do really well in the NICU. It really upsets me that they are not letting us have any say and I cannot even count all the lectures I have gotten about how selfish I am for putting my health before Maija's. Which I am not even doing! Aidan suffered the brunt last time! I am totally thinking of Maija.

So... I could really use some encouragement. Do you think the doctors are right? Should we suffer through severe PE or HELLP if it comes to that to buy Maija more time? Or should we keep pushing to have a say even if it means switching doctors? And how do I deal w/all these doctors and nurses that just have no idea how losing a baby affects the way you view your next pg?

I hope all you other pg ladies are doing well. And I hope NONE of you get it this time!

-Amanda

Amanda (28)
Hubby (28)
~i~ Aidan Timothy - 4/14/03, pre-e and abruption
Expecting again!!!
EDD 6/11/04

Return to “Pregnant Again?”