Question from Amanda

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Re : Question from Amanda

Postby laura » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:22 am

Amanda, I don't know what to say about the delivery criteria- on one hand, I can definitely understand it- chances are Maija will do just fine until you start showing signs of severe disease, but on the other, I can understand your desire to make sure she's safe.

The thing that is really concerning me is taking those pressures lying down. Tim, could you please print out this thread from our experts on how blood pressure should be taken? My worry is that those blood pressures they're using to decide when to deliver aren't reliable.

If you show them the info from the medical board, and they still take your pressures lying down- insist that each and every time they decline- to note, with their name and title, that patient has requested having blood pressure taken sitting up that they declined.

I wish you could find another opinion- but being inpatient sort of puts a damper on that, huh? Perhaps you could find another name from the http://www.nasshp.org site to come in and do a second opinion? Maybe you could release your medical records to another doc to review? I'm definitely thinking about you, honey.

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=321

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby catherine » Mon Apr 19, 2004 02:24 pm

Amanda,

Hugs honey, I know that you feel like you are sitting on a razorblade.

I think that what is happening is that you are sort of stuck in no-man's-land. If you were home or out of reach, if you were to show up out of the blue with even a mild change, because they wouldn't know what had been going on, even the day before, they might be more agressive about delivering little Maija. However, you are right in their viewing zone and they have loads of data. So they will feel much safer about how things are with you, and therefore have more room to manoever. I know that they have reeled off a list of conditions that would force them to deliver you before 37 weeks. That is because, they know that they cannot guarantee a smooth outcome for her before then with no NICU time etc. At the same time, you have a very cautious OB and a peri who would probably deliver you if they thought that "you weren't looking good". By that I mean that the list that they have given you is very objective, but years of training have hopefully put them in the position of being able to make subjective decisions too. I know that you don't want the mag or to be sick, and that having Maija healthy and here is paramount. I don't think that you are being selfish, but you must be aware that your perspective is different from that of your doctors' and theirs' isn't likely to change. While they can see you there and on the monitor etc. in the hospital, she is as safe as anyone can make her and in the best possible place to grow. I really don't think that they would let you get severely ill before they would deliver your baby but I do think that they want you to get closer to the edge in order to give her as much time in utero as possible.

Once again, if all that has gone before for you wasn't enough, this proves how sucky preeclampsia is [xx(]. I thinkt that you've done really well so far, it's only a little bit more...... Congratulations on having an excellent DH... I doubt that mine would ever have dared to find his way to this site.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby deerhart » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:20 pm

I will add one thing, if the you think that just because you make it to 37 weeks means your baby is out of risk of being in the NICU its not true. We came EXTREMELY close to having Alex in the NICU for a variety of reasons, but the biggest being just how sick I really was and how much it affected him.
He couldn't hold either his body temp or his blood sugar levels, and he was pretty close to being unresponsive at times because (I can only guess) of the exposure to all the drugs (pitocin, stadal, epi, mag sulfate etc..) and basically having (in the nurses terms) a tramatic birth.
I will never forget the first time they brought Alex back to me (almost 12 hours after he was born, I got to see him for a total of 15 minutes in the first half day of his life as they wouldn't realease him from the nursery and of course I was bedridden and coudln't go down there) his poor feet where black from getting pricked all the time to check his blood sugar levels.
In comparision, when Mason was born he was taking directly to the special care unit, but since I wasn't bedridden I was free to see him as often as I liked, he had little to no problems with his body temp (and being over a 1lb heavier then his big bro at birth helped, even though he was almost a week and a half to 2 weeks earlier), no blood sugar problems, just a little weak on the lungs. I also didn't have to wait 4 days to hear him cry.

For me, pushing for earlier intervention made the experience a lot better in that I actually got to spend time with the baby, my recovery was better and easier.

Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Previous

Return to Pregnant Again?