one week until scheduled c-section - so many fears

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
fly

Re : one week until scheduled c-section - so many fears

Postby fly » Wed Oct 15, 2008 04:24 pm

FWIW hun - my best friend had an emergency section first baby after a really long labour and had an awful time....and then with her second baby she opted for an elective section and had an amazingly beautiful experience.. she said that the elective was calm and controlled and really spiritual for her and i pray that you have a wonderful positive and empowering experience in a few days time - big big huggles x x x

jen44

Postby jen44 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 00:59 am

thanks everyone for your encouraging words.

the delivery is scheduled for 8:00 am on Friday morning... 60 hours to go!

i'm hoping that the differences this time (not having laboured for 36 hours, less edema, less sick, planned instead of emergency) will make a difference.

i just want to be awake to hear my baby's first cries.

i'll update again once he's here safe and sound!

willow&sam

Postby willow&sam » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:46 pm

Congratulations Jenn. I've been trying to catch up with everyone and when I saw you were 36 weeks already I couldn't believe it. Where does the time go???

I know it's so much easier said than done but, please don't worry too much about the section. I've had 3 sections and I strongly feel that there is a world of difference between a scheduled and an emergency section. For a scheduled section you are not exhausted (relatively speaking) from labour or dealing with other drugs, etc in your system. The atmosphere, I've found, is business-like but relaxed. Everyone knows the plan, they know what to do and when and, if there are any surprises, they are well prepared to deal with them. This last section I had was by far the worst - I had tons of scar tissue - so much they wouldn't do a tubal - lost a lot of blood, had to have another mid-line incision to get her out but, by 48 hours all I wanted was to go home and 4 days later I was fine.

Best advice I have for you is to remember to breath, talk to the staff around you so you know what's going on and, most important, focus on DH and the baby (DH and I discussed boys' names because we still hadn't decided in case it was a boy).

I'll be thinking of you this weekend and praying for a safe, easy birth.

amarah

Postby amarah » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:53 pm

just wanted to tell you itll all be okay. I was in your spot about 10 weeks ago, and i know how you feel. Its hard to believe everything will go good since it all went so bad last time. But in my experience the 2nd time was a breeze! Just relax and focus on seeing that beautiful baby :)

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Sun Oct 12, 2008 02:04 pm

Here is to a quick week for you!

hols537

Postby hols537 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 08:23 am

With your previous experience, I'd be nervous too. But, I wanted to echo what Fiona said about 2nd sections and share my experience too. My 2nd c/s was much easier than my first too (a whole different world in fact). It wasn't scheduled, but it wasn't an emergency either (had gone into labor and had to wait for the heparin to clear my system while they slowed my labor). I had a lot of scarring which made it tough when my doc tried to tie my tubes, but if she hadn't told me about the scarring, I wouldn't even have known. With the first, it took them several tries on the spinal and it hurt, the 2nd I didn't even feel it. I got stitches too instead of the staples and was so much more comfortable than with the first and my scar looks a million times better. There was also no sense of panic in the room or leading up to it, which made a huge difference for my mindset too.

Congratulations on being so close and cooking your little one for so long.

quincyf

Postby quincyf » Sun Oct 12, 2008 02:54 am

quote:Originally posted by Fiona

I think a lot of the negativity out there on the web comes from a mindset that sections are always terrible.

That is putting it lightly. I consider the overt bias against c-section at any cost to be borderline unethical.

Good luck Jen. I have chosen to have a repeat c-section because I believe it is safer for me and my boy given my medical history. I am rightfully nervous about the surgery, but I refuse to let a bunch of opinionated "mean girls" make me feel like I am doing something wrong by choosing surgery over a VBAC. Especially in light of what I have gone through.

Maybe it would help to go over the risks and benefits again with your OB, so you can have a clearer picture of why you chose a c-section in the first place. They are the experts and should be able to help you through this anxiety.

Good luck, keep us up to date!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:17 pm

Jennifer,

I think your previous experience is bound to make you anxious. Let me try and ease your fears a little. A scheduled section is a far different thing than an emergency - and being awake during the op means you are going to be able to look into your husband's eyes and look forward to hearing your new son's first cry.

I had a lot of scar tissue from section no 2: my lovely OB with Sacha, spent a good while post delivery clearing that all out for me and neatening up my scar - I have had far less pain and weirdness in the belly area this time. I also asked for disolvable stitches rather than staples, which I find easier to handle.

I do think it's all going to be okay: you are in hospital being monitored, and you have a solid plan how things will proceed.

I think a lot of the negativity out there on the web comes from a mindset that sections are always terrible. You'll be fine, I am sure. And the baby will be beautiful.

Good luck.

crystalw

Postby crystalw » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:10 pm

Are they going to try with a spinal this time? General is stinky stuff anyways! The best advice I have for you is.. stop looking on the net.. haha easier said than done. I always tell my patients not to do that but I'm probably the queen of researching on the net! hehe.. My first c-section was fine I believe. I didn't really have any problems besides throwing up which I think was more from the mag. I had a spinal and I loved it!

jen44

one week until scheduled c-section - so many fears

Postby jen44 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 09:22 pm

Today marks 36 weeks for me, and I'm feeling pretty emotional about it since this was the day I delivered DS after a long hospital stay and was much sicker than I am now. I can't even believe how far we've come already and what is around the corner!

So as for my current situation, I met with my dr yesterday and he has agreed to deliver me by repeat C next Saturday (37 weeks) due to the progression of the PIH. My labs and urines and NST's are all still good but I appreciate that we aren't waiting until things go sideways further to deliver. I have RIDICULOUS swelling in my feet/ankles/legs and even on strict bedrest I look like elephant woman from the knees down. The aldomet I'm on (doubled on tuesday) is giving me wicked headaches, the pelvic disorder is unbelievably painful on strict bedrest - it feels like someone has forced me to do the splits for 12 hours and then made me run a marathon, ugh! Not to mention the constant braxton hicks I am having, all.day.long. feeling like I am being wrung out with a towel every five minutes from the inside out. Can you tell I'm miserable yet, lol!?!? Even with all of the discomforts, I am so grateful to be in this position and am already feeling the sadness of not being pregnant anymore soon! Oh the hormones!

Anyways, the reason for this post. I am having major anxiety over the upcoming c-section. Last time it was after a failed induction of 36 hours of labour and then I had to be put under general anesthetic because they couldn't get the needle in the right spot - in part i think due to the tremendous michelin man swelling i had and in part because i am overweight to begin with - and when i was woken up i began choking unable to breathe so they had to put me back out again, it was just AWFUL. I really don't want that experience again. And I know I have a good amount of scar adhesions from that surgery which equals scar tissue which equals more risk during subsequent surgery which scares the crap out of me. I have tried researching the internet for positive affirmations of "this is going to be ok" but all i can find are all the risks associated with repeat c-sections and blah, blah, blah negative nancy.

I guess I just need some reassurance that I will be OK and that this is the best thing for both me and the baby! And how can I calm my fears about all of this?

Return to “Pregnant Again?”