Anyone have muscular skeletal pain?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
annegarrett

Re : Anyone have muscular skeletal pain?

Postby annegarrett » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:51 pm

Sorry you're not feeling well. I get random chest pain and in my case it was identified as costochondritis (SP??) which is essentially an inflammation of the ligaments around the chest. I never felt really spunky during pregnancy, always aching and stiff, sorry--sounds like you've got a similar response. Sorry about your BP--of course here--that's the thing we want you to be most aware of. It's probably valuable to remind readers that liver complications are so unusual--HELLP effects 1/2 of 1 % of all pregnancies--so it's a rare thing (though maybe it doesn't seem so to those of us here who've had it). That being said, hang in there, relax and rest up!

hope08

Postby hope08 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 04:54 pm

I'm sorry to hear that your not feeling well.I hope you feel better soon.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sun Nov 09, 2008 09:21 am

I'm 5'5 1/2. I didn't have this issue with my first even though she was really high. Apparently, this one is very very high up. At my 18 week US, my peri said she was very high up. When my ob does the measurement on the stomach,he agrees. Since he started doing them, he has measured all the way up to the breastbone. UGH. It's better this morning. Heat doesn't help it. I found the ice pack that I had with knee surgery. It comes with a thing that holds it and you can wrap it all around (the knee). Well it works for a rib cage too. I centered the ice on the the area that hurts and then used the velcro straps to attach around me. The straps are long which are nice. The ice numbs it. For now I am back to tylenol every 4 hours. I would love a nice big shot of Toradol about right now.

Maybe this is a breech baby thing. Neither of the girls were breech. They were headdown by the 20 week US and stayed that way.

herewegoagain

Postby herewegoagain » Sun Nov 09, 2008 07:32 am

I'm with you, Sabrina, when you say you prefer to carry babies lower rather than higher. When this little guy moves down, it is way more comfortable, minus the discomfort in the pelvic bones :) Both with my last pregnancy and this one, the baby likes to hang out higher. It always feels like I've been punched in the ribs. My last baby was in the frank breech position, so I swear his head was shoved into my right ribs and his feet in my left, so maybe breech babies are more uncomfortable to carry???
Another thing I've been thinking about and wondering if it is the same as you... I am only 5'2", so I wonder if being short gives baby a little less room than someone who is taller. Crzy thinking maybe, but just trying to figure out why I'm so dang uncomfortable :)
Hope you're taking it easy today!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:28 pm

I hate to say this, but muscular skeletal pain is like the umbrella diagnosis when they can't find anything wrong. I have some sort of auto-immune condition, which causes wide spread muscular skeletal pain..because there is no inflammation, negative results on all blood tests, and nothing obvious to contribute to it.

Doing the extra lifting, when your ligaments are already stretching out and super elastic from the hormones could have contributed to it. Hope it starts feeling better...and you ought to take it easy...no more lifting into DH's vehicle.

Oh, and the BP may have been up too because you were worried about the liver and epigastric pain...not to mention, just the pain in general.

Feel better, dear!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sat Nov 08, 2008 09:37 pm

My bp came down later after being stuck in bed for hours during the tests. It was 111/71 before I left. I was still in just as much pain if not worse when I left because of the US. That was awful. The worst part was the nurse came in after I got back from the US and said how did it go and I said it really hurt. She said really? I said yes really. She said I shouldn't be in pain??? Ok, let's have her have that and see how it felt. I think she must have gotten confused or something because I was given NOTHING for pain. It was worse than kidney stone pain. Yes the dr asked me that question. When he pushed underneath the rib cage I was in tears. He said that that was a good thing because that usually ended up as muscular skeletal pain. I found the "technical term" for it. It is called costochronditis. From what I read, something as simple as a sinus infection can set it off. It says the symptoms feel like a heart attack.

They said that this baby is so high up my uterus is pushing up against the ribs causing pain. Kirsten was high but never this high. Sara was very low. To tell you the truth, I prefer a baby that is LOW. I'm sure my ob can provide more information Thursday. There really isn't anything you can do and should go away after delivery. The tech when she was scanning the gallbladder/liver was actually getting scans of the baby with it because she was so high up. Freaked her out at first until she figured out what happened.

I have found her head going into my ribs on the right side. I have actually pushed her back down when she got so high I couldn't breathe. Kind of like get your own space, there's plenty there. My pain goes from the breastbone over to the right. Very similar to the liver pain/epigatric pain. I'm sure my bp was up because I was in so much pain. Oh and dh was gone a few days last week and I did a lot of lifting of Sara into and out of the car each day (we both drive explorers but his doesn't have step bumpers. I drove his car alot because it was last in the driveway). So I am sure that didn't help.

herewegoagain

Postby herewegoagain » Sat Nov 08, 2008 08:13 pm

Yikes! What a day! The uterus pushing against the ribs? I think I may be experiencing the same thing. Something is pushing in the bottom of my right ribs (and it's not the baby's foot or anything). When I push down, it releaves some of the pressure/pain. To top it off, it is also pulling a muscle/nerve in my back. My DH can feel the spot when he massages my back. Ouch. I wonder if because your little one is breech, if that isn't helping the pressure on your ribs.

I do find a heating pad helps. Try getting some rest (if you can) and hopefully that will help with the pain and bring the BP down. Oh, the joys of pregnancy. Take care!

suleaf

Postby suleaf » Sat Nov 08, 2008 07:20 pm

Oh Sabrina, you've been through the wringer with all these ER visits, hon!! ((HUGS))

I have pain like what you are describing but you are further along... it does hurt like * but is more intermittent. It's like a cramping, pulling pain- it happened last time with Mira too. Ugh. Usually I have to lay down for a while and kind of rub at my rib and it subsides... but right now, I am smaller (uterus wise) so I figure it isn't as bad and more manageable. I gave up underwire bras weeks ago. They made it worse.

I guess there isn't much you can do except rest and glad DH took care of the girls. Does eating make it worse?

I am really sorry but glad little Alexis is doing well minus the breech part! I'm hanging on to the hope she's gonna turn!

Do you suppose the BP was higher because of the pain?

missgamecock

Anyone have muscular skeletal pain?

Postby missgamecock » Sat Nov 08, 2008 06:31 pm

Just got out of the ER with a diagnosis of muscular skeletal pain. OMG did that hurt. Started yesterday afternoon. It was under my right rib. It was excruciating. I also had nausea and heartburn. Called my ob at 10pm. He said to take tylenol, pepcid, go to bed and use a heating pad on it. I was worried about liver pain. He was worried about gallbladder. He didn't think it was gallbladder because it wasn't tied to eating. He didn't think it was my liver because my protein was negative on a dip and my bp while high wasn't crazy high. Still bad today so I called him back. He advised me to go to the ER to get checked out. Go to the ER. It was excruciating. They ran a gallbladder/liver US, checked for blood clots, ran a liver panel for hellp and other labs. They came back with muscular skeletal pain. The ER dr said it was from my uterus pushing against my ribs. I didn't have this with either of the girls. I am supposed to follow up with my ob in 2-3 days. I see him on Thursday anyway. So I'll just keep my appointment.

Anyway, Thank God it was not my liver. I knew that you could have liver pain WITHOUT protein. So I was still worried. Thank goodness it wasn't a gallbladder attack. Has anyone else had what I have? The only thing I can think of that comes close to it was when I had inflammation of the chest wall. That hurt. That was last year. I had to go on antibiotics and pain killer for that. All they ordered was tylenol in the Er for me.

I came home and took reglan, pepcid, and tylenol 3 (from my kidney flareup). I am done with these surprises. Oh and when I got there I had the highest bp reading yet of 155/102 with a pulse of 122!!! Before I left she checked it after me being in bed for hours and it was 111/71. I am off to bed because I still feel like crap.

Dh ordered pizza for dinner for the girls and him. Smart hubby to know I wasn't even thinking of cooking. I havn't even eaten hardly anything but a bowl of cereal.

Oh and the sono tech was the one I had at 6 weeks when I thought I was miscarrying. She ran a quick baby US since I endured the Gallbladder US (bawled like a baby because that HURT). Baby's HB was 136 and she is still a she and she is still breech. She asked me had I thought about having a csection. I honestly only thought about it if I get as sick as I did with Kirsten, not if everything was ok. She said that she was curious because all my scans have been breech so far. She said still time to turn and they often do.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”